King James finally is....

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

I didn't personally like how the Miami Heat landed Lebron and Chris Bosh to team up with Wade. Kinda hoped they would manage to continue to find ways to lose. Especially in the finals, if possible. But it was not to be.

King James and his Miami Heat won the 2012 NBA championship. Even if I dislike a player I do always feel a little happy for him that he's been able to win at least one championship. There are so many 'great guys', IMO, that don't get that ring. I know Dan Marino always talks about how he made it to the Superbowl as a rookie and expected to get there again but never did. So, the Heat got their rings and they earned them. What frustrates me even more is the reason why I couldn't watch the Lions beat the Eskimos tonight was this game was on..... :dizzy:
Dieter
Rookie

Yes he won a championship and yes his is an oustanding basketball player obviously.

But he held a press conference in an elementary school in his home town to to say adios Cleveland.

Money can buy championships but it can't buy class
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dieter wrote:Yes he won a championship and yes his is an oustanding basketball player obviously.

But he held a press conference in an elementary school in his home town to to say adios Cleveland.

Money can buy championships but it can't buy class
Couldn't agree more. His hosting a half hour show to announce where he's signing is adding salt to injury to the people of his hometown of Cleveland.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not a LeBron fan. Treated Cleveland and the entire viewing public like crap in his charade. Less of a fan of Wade. If I was Pat Reilly I would be embarrassed to be associated with them.

Was hoping Durant could give him another nightmare.

But LeBron said the right things after the win.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Makes you wonder if you won't see more orchestrated moves by players in future to combine talents to make a championship team. That kind of manoeuvre really doesn't do any favours for any league.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Makes you wonder if you won't see more orchestrated moves by players in future to combine talents to make a championship team. That kind of manoeuvre really doesn't do any favours for any league.
Stacking a team is not exactly a noble way to win a championship. Some would call it cheating. It's like playground stuff. But playground stuff by multimillionaire players holding cities hostage.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

To make one correction to this thread, The Decision was actually held at a Boys and Girls Club in Connecticut. Not in Akron.

But yes, and bear in mind I'm both a transplant to Cleveland and a Pistons fan when I type this. The guy did an immeasurable disservice to the city with The Decision, something that will never be forgotten, no matter how many talking heads try to gloss over it.

The situations with the Heat, and how Cleveland was treated, and the Thunder and the injustice put upon the city of Seattle reinforce the many reasons to not like the NBA. Something of which Vancouver sports fans are mindful of, I'm sure.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Makes you wonder if you won't see more orchestrated moves by players in future to combine talents to make a championship team. That kind of manoeuvre really doesn't do any favours for any league.
I would think only bball of all the major sports has sufficiently small rosters to make it a worthwhile gamble. Kariya and Selanne together in Denver came up well short just before the 2004/5 lockout. Did those three guys in Miami have the same agent?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Or rich owners buying the best team that $$$$ can buy ie. New York Yankees