Cam Wake 'going back home' to defensive end in Miami

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Miami Dolphins' new defensive coordinator, Kevin Coyle, plans to bring in a base 4-3 package this year, with Cam Wake "going back home" to his natural position of defensive end to capitalize on his edge-rushing abilities. The goal of the package is to be more aggressive in going after quarterbacks. I can see Wake putting up much higher sack totals as a result.
"Obviously, applying pressure to the quarterback and disrupting the rhythm of the passing game is a huge part of defense in the NFL these days," coach Joe Philbin said. "The scheme should be flexible enough that it takes advantage of what our guys can do."

In the old 3-4 scheme, the primary objective for defensive linemen such as Randy Starks and Jared Odrick were to occupy blockers so the outside linebackers - Cameron Wake and Jason Taylor - could pressure the quarterback. Big and bulky on the defensive line was more important than speed and elusiveness.

But lining the players up in different spots in the new 4-3 scheme should take advantage of their speed. Wake, who played the 4-3 defense in college and in the Canadian Football League, is "going back home" to right defensive end.
The new defense should benefit Wake the most. Wake, who recently signed a three-year contract extension worth at least $17 million guaranteed, had 14 sacks and a trip to the Pro Bowl in 2010 but only 8 1/2 sacks in 2011. It was the lowest total for the Dolphins' leading sacker since Taylor led the team with 8 1/2 sacks in 2001.

At defensive end, Wake will almost solely play out of a three-point stance, and ideally will have an easier time using his incredible speed, power and low center of gravity to get to the quarterback more frequently.

"He bends better than anybody in the league, in terms of getting around the edge and to the quarterback," Odrick said.
Palm Beach Post article
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great article.

However I think they got "going back home" wrong. I would say he has played left defensive end, not right.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Great article.

However I think they got "going back home" wrong. I would say he has played left defensive end, not right.
Whichever end of the line he's played on, I would say that he's played it right.