U.S. College National Signing Day ...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I've heard about this for years, but never paid much attention to it.

Athletes make a commitment to a college, and get the "scholarship" to go with it.

In the back of my mind, there was always a question. Since these guys (for football anyway) are not adults, anything they sign is worthless in contract terms, what is the binding nature of the agreement?

Apparently the first wednesday in February is the day.

There are great stories about it.

http://nafoom.yuku.com/topic/38284/hope ... res--faxed
It used to be that schools could send coaches to recruits' homes and sign them in person. In the early 1980s, coaches were lined up at the home of coveted running back Alvin Ross on the morning of signing day—but then-Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer went one step further. "I slept on his couch, and I kept the phone off the hook overnight," says Mr. Switzer, who got the player's signature at 8 a.m. "It was a free-for-all back then."
The National Collegiate Athletic Association eventually barred coaches from leaving campus to sign recruits. The National Letter of Intent, which binds a player to a school for a year in exchange for a promise of financial aid, can be delivered by regular mail, express mail, courier service and email, under NCAA rules. But because the letter must be signed by the recruit (and, if under 21, a legal guardian) and since an electronic acknowledgment isn't considered a signature, the fax remains what virtually everyone uses.
Well that answers the "of legal age" question. Like any teenage kid wanting to buy a car, he might have to get parents to co-sign if the seller has suspicions about intent, following through, etc.
Schools tell players to fax their letters early on signing day—generally before 9 a.m.—so they can review it and then announce the player's signing that afternoon.

Players generally use the fax machine at their high schools. When the letter is even the slightest bit tardy, "you almost see panic mode set in," says Mr. Beamer. "Everyone makes sure that the fax is plugged in, that there's paper in it."

In 2009, South Carolina agonized over touted receiver Alshon Jeffery's fax, even though it arrived before most people arrive at work.

Mr. Beamer spoke with Mr. Jeffery at 2:15 a.m. on signing day and made sure he was on board, but 7 a.m. came and went with no letter. As 7:30 passed, coach Steve Spurrier kept asking where was the fax. It arrived at 7:45—earlier than normal business hours but late enough to cause the coaches heart palpitations.
A big day for U.S. college sports. Almost like pro sports. And that is a bit whacked, I would say.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

And that is a bit whacked, I would say.
Yes. Say what you want about professional league drafts, but at least those involve adults who are about to earn some degree of financial compensation. This whole subculture of tracking and marketing high school kids always struck me as slightly creepy. The fact that it's televised even more so.
Rammer
Team Captain

Best of both worlds for you here....lol

Football Mom Forges Son's Name on Letter of Intent

Any college football fan probably knows a little bit about the day known as National Signing Day when most high-school football players sign their letters of intent and fax them to the school of their choice in order to accept a scholarship offer from that school. It is generally a day filled with surprises for recruits and schools, as many recruits change their minds at the last minute or try to sign with schools only to find that they will no longer accept that player on a football scholarship. For many of the signees, however, it is a day to celebrate the accomplishment of earning a football scholarship with overjoyed friends and supportive family.

Unfortunately, today was not that type of day for Floyd Raven, a cornerback from Louisiana who faxed his letter of intent to Texas A&M earlier today. Raven faxed his letter to his school of choice only to find out that he had apparently faxed a similar letter of intent to Ole Miss earlier in the day. Under the current rules, the first letter to be signed and faxed in is binding on the recruit and commits him to that school. Raven was obviously surprised at the development, but was probably floored when he learned that his mother, who undoubtedly wanted him to choose Ole Miss, reportedly forged his name on a letter of intent and sent it to Ole Miss in an attempt to bind him to the school. Fortunately for Mr. Raven, Coach Houston Nutt of Ole Miss was gracious enough to release Mr. Raven from the fake letter without a fight once he had learned what had happened.

While this story may seem slightly humorous and is probably just a mother trying to do what she thinks is best for her son, signing another person's name to a document in an attempt to bind them under the terms of the document is forgery in Tennessee, a class E felony. It is doubtful that any criminal charges are forthcoming in this case, but it is just one of many examples of situations where would-be good intentions can have disastrous results for one or all of the parties involved. If you or someone you know has been charged with a crime, your intent or lack thereof may work in your favor at trial. A skilled criminal defense attorney will be able to analyze your situation and effectively present your side of the story.

Raven flies south.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Best of both worlds for you here....lol

Raven flies south.
Amazing story.

Desperate people do desperate things. A career is at stake. Potential riches are at stake. Etc.

It sounds like the Letter of Intent does not always have the co-signature of the parent. It might be like a minor "signing" a contract for a life necessity: food, clothing, transport, etc., that these Letters of Intent can be binding. Especially as the precedent is there, and the colleges need some protection from all the goofy things that could happen.

It is a bit of a circus, although far from the way it was in the days of Barry Switzer and the recruiting wars.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Best of both worlds for you here....lol

Raven flies south.
So, the Old Missus wanted her son to go to Old Miss...

I think my mother wouldn't care. If a school was going to give me a scholarship to play football (moot, none did), I had better get good grades.
GeauxBCLions
prospect

Pretty funny story in the Under Armour All-American Game:

Top rated Safety from Louisiana is deciding between LSU and Alabam (two hated rivals) and the kid grew up a few minutes away from LSU. ESPN decides to have his family there when he announces his decision which is that he is going to go to Alabama (*frig* 'bama). The mom hangs her head is disapproval and when the guy interviewing them asks what she thinks, hilarity ensues. Apparently he is following his girlfriend to Alabama according to reports...

Geaux Tigers (The LSU kind)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reminds me of Lebron James one hour special to announce where he was going to play.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=415362
Canadians involved in NCAA signing day

It's National Signing Day in the NCAA, as the top high school seniors in North America are signing their letters of intent for NCAA college football programs.

Several Canadians are getting in on the action and TSN.ca will be following their signings leading up to our live chat with Duane Forde, Farhan Lalji and Canadafootballchat.com's Lee Barrette, today at 3:30pm et/12:30pm pt.

Forde @DuaneFordeTSN and Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN will be providing updates throughout the day on where our Canadian high school stars are landing south of the border.

The most heavily recruited Canadian high school player found a home in the NCAA. Offensive tackle David Knevel will suit up for Nebraska in the fall.

The Brantford, Ontario product is listed by ESPN as a four-star recruit with a grade of 80.

Knevel played his high school football at Pauline Johnson and was a member of the Brantford Bisons of the Ontario Varsity Football League.

Offensive tackle Josiah St. John from Pickering, Ontario also signed his Letter of Intent to play at The University of Oklahoma.

St. John mulled over 20 offers from NCAA Division 1 schools, but decided Oklahoma was the best fit for him.

"It is a little bit surreal... that I'm an Oklahoma Sooner. Can't wait to be on campus," said St. John, who listed as a four-star recruit, with a grade of 83.

St. John was sold on Oklahoma by "the tradition and the opportunity to compete every day in practice and every weekend."

If St. John redshirts he'll be in the 2016 CFL draft class. If he doesn't, he'll be draft eligible in 2015 class.

Offensive guard Peter Godber from St. Andrew's College in Aurora, Ontario officially signed with Rice.

The 6'4, 290-pound lineman verbally committed in August and is a three-star recruit according to ESPN, with a grade of 76.

Godber becomes the eighth Canadian to join the Rice Owls since current Edmonton Eskimo Scott Mitchell went there in 2007.

Rice OL coach Ronnie Vinklarek coached CFL offensive line in Edmonton (2008) and Birmingham (1995). Owls assistant head coach Darrell Patterson played seven years for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

"In Texas, football is religion. Getting 30,000 plus at every single game will be so exciting for me," said Godber.

Offensive Guard Ryan Hunter made it official that he will be attending Bowling Green next season.

The 6'5, 320-pound lineman from North Bay, Ontario native played for Canisius High School.

"Moving five hours from home for two years of life, at 16, was a big step for me and my parents but definitely paid off today," explained Hunter.

Hunter got the attention of scouts when he was the offensive line MVP at the NUC five-star camp last summer.

Riley Feenan, an offensive tackle out of Delta, British Columbia confirmed his decision to join Robert Morris University.

The 6'7, 285 blocker is headed to Moon Township, Pennsylvania where the Colonials campus is located.

Former University of Toronto James Bodanis became the third OUA player since 2010 to transfer to the NCAA, signing on with the Michican State Spartans.

"I've only played 20 football games total in my life. Whole process is strange and surreal," said Bodanis.

Bodanis only played in one game in high school, six in the OVFL, and 14 in three years at U of T, but did enough to earn a chance with Michigan State.

"The way I see it, as long as I put the NFL as my goal, I'll always be the best I can be," said Bodanis.

Justin Vaughn, who is projected as linebacker/defensive end, signed with the Fordham Rams.

Vaughn, a native of Hamilton, Ontario, is 6'5 and 245 pounds and credits his father for helping him develop into the player he has become.

"He'd make me do strides, footwork and agility until I couldn't work," stated Vaughn. "I'd just come home and fall asleep."

In addition to today's chat, TSN Social Media host Kate McKenna will be getting in touch with Canada's top prospects and sending out photos and tweets as they put pen to paper. Kate will also be conducting interviews with some of the prospects with their reaction to the big day.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Arkansas recruit Alex Collins' mom reportedly runs off with letter of intent

The Sports Xchange

First posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 11:54 AM MST

Arkansas recruit Alex Collins' mom runs off with letter of intent 2 South Plantation high school running back Alex Collins. (@Budda03)

Running back Alex Collins failed to show up for signing day at his high school in Florida after his mother apparently confiscated his national letter of intent, refusing to let him sign with Arkansas, the Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday.

Collins, of South Plantation High School, had announced Monday night that he would attend Arkansas. When signing day arrived, he wasn’t at the ceremony and the high school removed a tag with his name from the table where he would make it official.

“We’re going to give the family as much time as they need to make the right decision,” South Plantation athletic director Mike Collins told the Sun Sentinel. “At this time, there’s no indication of anything other than the original plan. The family just wants more time.”

Multiple news outlets reported that Collins’ mom, who apparently doesn’t want her son to go to college so far from home, made off with the letter. A parent is required to sign the document for it to become official with the NCAA.

“The papers are not there. I’ve been told by two different sources that Alex Collins’ mom confiscated the papers and took off and ran with them. They are looking for her,” ESPN.com’s Corey Long said. “From what I understand, Alex is looking for his mom. She was quite torn up about him leaving.”

Other schools in the running for Collins were Miami, Florida State, Florida and Wisconsin.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That's crazy. At some point momma's little boy is going to leave home
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Offensive guard Peter Godber from St. Andrew's College in Aurora, Ontario officially signed with Rice.

The 6'4, 290-pound lineman verbally committed in August and is a three-star recruit according to ESPN, with a grade of 76.

Godber becomes the eighth Canadian to join the Rice Owls since current Edmonton Eskimo Scott Mitchell went there in 2007.

Rice OL coach Ronnie Vinklarek coached CFL offensive line in Edmonton (2008) and Birmingham (1995). Owls assistant head coach Darrell Patterson played seven years for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

"In Texas, football is religion. Getting 30,000 plus at every single game will be so exciting for me," said Godber.
Um....what?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4025 ... ms/page/11
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Godber should do more research before signing.