2011 Vanier Cup - McMaster 41, Laval 38 (2OT)

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Will you attend the 2011 Vanier Cup?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 12
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:So who does Calgary play now?
The defending champions and number 1 ranked Lavel Rouge et Or
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

MacMaster tore Western a new one today 41-19 for the yates cup!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Entertaining game between Laval and Calgary. Laval showing why they're the number 1 ranked team as they leading 34-10 in the 3rd quarter. Temperature was -19 at kickoff
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So it's going to be McMaster Marauders vs. Laval Rouge et Or in the 2011 Vanier Cup. Are any of you an alumni of either university?

ImageImage

Laval was able to do what UBC couldn't do and in at McMahon Stadium. Laval are certainly the favourites as they will be seeking its seventh championship in 13 seasons, while McMasters are the clear underdogs by never winning the championship before with only a single appearance in 1967. While unlikely, I'm hoping for an upset win for McMaster and dethrone Laval. :cr: :pray:

Right now, there over 21,000 tickets have been sold already. Let's see if it will break the attendance record of 32,847 set in 1989 at the then-Skydome. But if that were to happen, the organizers would have to open the upper bowl. Ironically the last time UBC won in 1997, the attendance was second-worst at 8,184.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Even though the UBC Thunderbirds didn't make it to the Vanier Cup, at least its star quarterback Billy Greene won the Hec Crighton Trophy as the CIS MOP.

It's game day for the 2011 Vanier Cup. One of these two men will be ecstatic while the other will be devastated.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

McMaster 23, Laval 0 at halftime!

A huge upset in the making? :shock:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Laval 24, McMaster 23, 4th quarter.
Too good to be true for a blowout win for the underdogs.
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That was one heck of a game and finish. The laterals off the interception in overtime reminds me of Joe Kapp's University of California Bears' game winning touchdown a few years back.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Attendance: 24,953
Not too bad, but not extraordinary as it didn't exceed the many 25,000+ Vanier Cup games held at Rogers Centre.

But this could very well be the most exciting game ever with double OT a huge upset by McMaster over Laval. The only other time the Vanier Cup game went to OT was in 1994 and that was only one overtime series.

Last edited by Robbie on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I really enjoyed the game. There were some puzzling calls, IMO, but I'll admit due to that beautiful replay screen, most did seem like the right call. There were some obvious differences to the CIS game (more than 1 timeout per half).

Laval really came out running the ball on 1st down. They looked like they'd run away with it. McMaster did pull out some rabbits of the hat. Nice fake punt, short pass for a first down (that was a good place on the field to try it). Sneak on 3rd down in their own end at another point. Took the risks.

That being said, Laval just seemed destined to win once the second half started. Fought back from a big defecit, answered a late score. Then once overtime started answered McMasters TD to open things. Just seemed like it was going to be Lavals night and then INTERCEPTION!!!!

Very, very enjoyable game. I knew going in I'd get the $10 bucks I paid for the tickets worth of entertainment. How little I knew. And I get to go back again tomorrow to watch two of my favourite CFL QB's lead their teams into the Grey Cup.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Yes Robbie, I did stay for the trophy presentations.... All that broadcasting interviewing seems really lame when you want to see the team gets its Vanier Cup. IMO, they should just announce the players of the game and give them their trophies. It's a team game and the team just WON the championship. So, you get them standing around waiting because two of you won awards. And even the award winners would probably not care too much, its the team trophy that really matters.

BTW, I sure hope they are not using the same TV truck Sunday. If thats the new TV truck for BC Place, I want tickets on the home side of the field, next season. The camera platform blocks the play at times.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Were you surprised that he was in the audience at the Vanier Cup?

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd27 ... G_1134.png
祝你龍年行大運。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Were you surprised that he was in the audience at the Vanier Cup?

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd27 ... G_1134.png

Didn't know until you posted the pic.... I think its cool he watched. I hope he watched the grey Cup too! I know Passaglia sat with Stephen Harper! I didn't know Harper was at the game until I watched the news yesterday.....
Irving Thomas
prospect

Sorry if I am off topic.. I want to ask a question.. the CIS and Canadian High School football are played with the 12 men (etc etc) rules (Canadian) or there are colleges and/or High schools playing within the US rules of football? Thanks for your answers!