Wally Buono endorses Tim Tebow, as athlete and Christian

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

So Tim Tebow is drafted 25th overall. That will only stir the debate some more.

If Tebow is to have success, he at least went to a team that makes some sense for him. Josh McDaniels and Urban Meyer (Tebow's coach at Miami) think alike, know and respect each other.

Bill Belichick, Josh McDaniels and Urban Meyer all use their own adaptations of the Spread Option offence developed by Meyer over the years at Notre Dame, Bowling Green State, Utah and Miami. Tebow is obviously a good fit for that offence. It is no surprise that Belichick was interested in drafting Tebow as well, although at a later time in the draft.

I'm no particular fan of Tebow, but I do like innovation in football. The Spread Option, along with its cousin, the Wildcat, is bringing new life to old ideas.

The Spread Option is similar to offences run in the CFL. Spread the field. Force the D to defend a lot of receivers. Get the ball in the hands of very fast players, who can run after catch, in open space. Like the Wildcat, the Spread Option ideally has a QB who can run. Perhaps the Lions need to have one of their QBs who fits that bill, a QB who is as much a runner as a passer (Tracy Ham, Nealon Green, etc.)

I will be watching the Broncos more now to see how things develop with McDaniels and the Spread Option.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A Spread Option Pass

... looks a lot like CFL ball ...

And that is one of the beauties of the CFL. IMO it is a league where new ideas are tried, long before they get to the NFL.
The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:

The Spread Option is similar to offences run in the CFL. Spread the field. Force the D to defend a lot of receivers. Get the ball in the hands of very fast players, who can run after catch, in open space. Like the Wildcat, the Spread Option ideally has a QB who can run. Perhaps the Lions need to have one of their QBs who fits that bill, a QB who is as much a runner as a passer (Tracy Ham, Nealon Green, etc.)
I will be watching the Broncos more now to see how things develop with McDaniels and the Spread Option.
Casey Printers?
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Casey Printers?
I'm thinking we want to keep Casey healthy. Not so much running. Awful to say this, but the Spread or Wildcat might need a running QB who is more "expendable." It would also help if he has a very hard noggin, and a bullet-proof body. :wink:
The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Casey Printers?
I'm thinking we want to keep Casey healthy. Not so much running. Awful to say this, but the Spread or Wildcat might need a running QB who is more "expendable." It would also help if he has a very hard noggin, and a bullet-proof body. :wink:
Hmm...in that case what about someone like Barrick Nealy? Wasn't he recently released by the Stamps?

Although one could point out the fact you said runner AND passer ;)
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:Hmm...in that case what about someone like Barrick Nealy? Wasn't he recently released by the Stamps?

Although one could point out the fact you said runner AND passer ;)
Unless CFL.ca is behind the times (always a possibility) or Nealy was released in the past few hours he's still a Stamp. Calgary only lists 3 QBs right now; Burris, Nealy and Drew Tate.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Dreaming of a mobile QB who gives you run threat options is all fine and good..........but when your OC is stuck in "drop back, short pass, 100% of the time" mode........what difference will it make what the scramble capabilities of your QB?

I just read an article about Kerry Joseph being a backup option in Saskatchewan.....the article mentioned Joseph struggling for 2 years in Toronto because the Argos didn't design a game plan to his skill set.....and followed the statement with Duh!

The identical problem has been here since DD left.......absolute refusal to game plan to the mobility skills of QB's like Pierce, Jackson, Lulay and now Printers.

You can have Doug Flutie in his prime behind center.......but it won`t matter much if all you expect him to do, is drop back and throw short passes.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Dreaming of a mobile QB who gives you run threat options is all fine and good..........but when your OC is stuck in "drop back, short pass, 100% of the time" mode........what difference will it make what the scramble capabilities of your QB?
Well, of course, it does come down to your Offensive systems and philosophy. What I see as Wally's essential conservatism has shown up most on the D since the departure of Dave Ritchie, who had his own ideas. Wally has had Mike Benevides tied up in knots. IMO we don't even know what Mike B's own philosophy would be, because of the large shadow cast by his mentor.

On offence, however, it seems to me Wally's conservatism has had its worst influence on the short yardage "package." His call on those "plays."

For the passing and running games, he has IMO basically allowed his OC(s) to run it. And IMO our offence has been pretty good overall in Buono's years here.

My greatest concern this year is if we can crank up our defence to the highest levels that the better teams have had (Montreal, Regina, and Calgary). IMO that would require a more aggressive, proactive, attack-oriented philosophy than Buono is comfortable with.

As for the O, it would be interesting if we had a Wildcat type QB on the roster. Why not? It forces the D to prepare for more stuff. Not likely to happen, I agree.

We have our guys, and they are all good: Printers, Jackson, Lulay and Champion. Printers is elusive, but I don't think he is necessarily a Wildcat type of QB. Plus we want to keep him healthy. Jackson IMO is not a Wildcat type either. Not elusive or quick enough. Lulay is vulnerable to injury. So in all likelihood we will have a basic Hufnagel type of offence once again, which is actually pretty good, and could be very good with Casey at the Helm.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I'm not worried about the defense.......IMHO, the biggest problem was getting Buono to admit to himself that Glatt wasn't a capable MLB......he's finally done that.......so, with the recruiting/starting of 3 import LB's (a Shivers strength).....we should be solid against the run. Adding Keron Williams and another import Rush End should also help the run as well as add pass rush.......this, in turn, takes pressure off a capable secondary.

Offense is another story.......Chapdelaine's plan is to utilize the run game even less in 2010.......and will be emphasizing his very predictable short passing game even more........add in that our interior olineman are being beaten on a regular basis in the one on one battles in short yardage situations.........well, let's just say offense is a HUGE concern for me.......and it doesn't have anything to do with Buono or his philosophies, just his unexplainable belief in Chapdelaine.
Lloyd
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Chapdelaine's plan is to utilize the run game even less in 2010.......
I didn't think that was possible! :wink:
Real women wear orange!!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Chapdelaine certainly has his critics on this website. I'm keeping an open mind.

In his time here, we have had good running games, with a variety of different backs.

In his time here, we have had good passing games with a variety of quarterbacks.

His receivers are very loyal to him, and even lobbied for his return.

He certainly has the loyalty of Wally Buono, whose judgment in personnel matters, over the course of his career, has to be considered very good.

The short yardage calls are the province of the Head Coach, Wally Buono.

The pass protection failures are no doubt a combination of things. Play design, blocking schemes, blocking ability, quarterback style, et cetera. Quick release, ala Anthony Calvillo, would help. Throwing the ball away on broken plays would help. If the play design is light on blockers, the play better be executed quickly or it will end up in many sacks.

On most passing plays there are receivers going deep. The QB has his reads. Some of this is preference by the QB. Dickenson and Pierce preferred the short yardage, high percentage stuff. Jackson likes to go deep. Printers likes both, and can certainly stretch the field.

So I am not going to lobby for Jacques Chapdelaine as OC of the year (the way I might for Hufnagel or Trestman). But I am not going join the ranks of his critics either. And I will offer counterpoint occasionally when he is criticized. Part of this is because I have strong impressions of how thankless a job an assistant coach in the CFL is.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Chapdelaine certainly has his critics on this website. I'm keeping an open mind.
:thup: I like starting the season with a clean slate and an open mind. I also look forward to having more clarity in the offensive coaching hierarchy and decision-making process. It will at least be easier to determine who should be credited when the offence works and who should be blamed when it doesn't work.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This thread started in the CFL forum. Will leave it there for now. It has CFL issues and NFL issues.

The thread goes back to April, 2010.

So the question is: Is Tim Tebow for real? LOL

The NFL cookie cutter minds don't like his mechanics. People don't like his passing statistics or his quarterback rating.

I would like to hear what Marc Trestman has to say about Tebow. Prior to the NFL draft, Tebow asked Trestman to work with him in preparation.

So now, over a year and a half later, Tebow is still performing "miracles," with his bad mechanics.

6 wins in a row. Terrible passing percentage, until the 4th quarter anyway. Well, what I say is this: Bobby Layne had bad mechanics also. Apparenty his passes almost turned end over end. Sonny Jurgensen almost threw sidearm, with his slingshot delivery. And Joe Kapp threw mostly wounded ducks (His punches were a bit more accurate :wink: ). Joe Montana was not highly rated, although Bill Walsh certainly saw something special there.

So, for me, the question is: Does he get the job done? Does he get the ball there when it counts? Does he inspire his teammates? Do they find ways to win, with him at the helm? And I would not be surprised if he eventually has pretty good passer statistics, even with his "poor" mechanics. (Extremely low turnover ratio: one Int.)

Here is an article about the latest come from behind victory. Six wins in a row.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19526117
Tebow was 3 of 13 at halftime and 3 of 16 after three quarters. He finished 21 of 40 for 236 yards. He also rushed for 49 yards. With Tebow at quarterback, the Broncos have won by scores of 18-15 in overtime, 17-10, 17-13, 16-13 in overtime and now 13-10 in overtime.

Three overtime games. Three overtime wins. Five fourth-quarter comeback victories in eight starts, six in his 11-start career.

Any time is Tebow Time. No one has to tell the people of Chicago.
If I can figure out to do it, I will move this entire thread to All Sports. Perhaps Rammer can assist with that? (Thank you, R)
Rammer
Team Captain

Since you asked so nicely, it is done. :)

On Tebow, I haven't followed the NFL this season, so my question is are teams playing a prevent D on him when generates his success? Having the success in OT kind of reminds of Doug Flutie when he first entered the CFL with the Lions, he was a gamer.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The bottom line is he wins. Who cares about his mechanics. Casey Printers didn't have the mechanics but he was MVP