Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

274always
All Star

way to go ravens. long live the purple. woooooooooooot.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Those non calls at the end, even on the punt run out were awful. The announcers were saying you can't call those at the end of the game. Baloney. Ruins the game.

Not a Ravens fan. Not really a Lewis fan. But he sure can crank up his team. Now go away and stay out of the news and the limelight. Somehow I don't think we've seen the last of him. Maybe run for Congress for the Republican Party or something like that. :wink:

Bring on the CFL season.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This Superbowl had everything the denial of a Canadian to enter the US for a pot charge from 32 years ago apparently. While I don't condone law breaking this surely has to be something really cruel if there is no other record of any crimes or involvement in drugs that the authorities know about or suspect.

One of the comments asks if former Prem. Gordon Campbell is barred from the US for a drunk driving conviction which is FAR worse than this guy's crime. Now Campbell is in the UK. Seems so unfair if this person has lived a decent and law abiding life since he made this error at 19 years old.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... entry.html
A Vancouver Island man who won an all-expenses-paid trip to the Super Bowl in New Orleans has been refused entry into the U.S. because of a marijuana possession conviction dating back to 1981.

Victoria resident Myles Wilkinson won the trip in a fantasy football league contest, competing against nearly four million other players for the chance to attend the National Football League championship, featuring the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers.

But when he got to Pearson International Airport in Toronto on Thursday, U.S. customs agents learned of a marijuana possession conviction in Vancouver in 1981 and told him he was not allowed to enter the country.

"I had two grams of cannabis. I paid a $50 fine," Wilkinson told CBC news.

Wilkinson said he was 19 when he was busted.

"I can't believe that this is happening, for something that happened 32 years ago."
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Game started out living up to the old moniker 'SuperBore', IMO. 49ers just seemed like they forgot there is no game next week, THIS IS THE ONE FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP. Missed tackles, blown coverages and a lacklustre offense. But the power outage seemed to turn things around. Now it impacts both teams equally but in many ways it just seemed like the 49ers I expected to show up, finally did. Of course, the Ravens did their part by some mistakes to let SanFran back in.

By games end I was laughing. Seeing the run-around by the punter (ala CFL, IMO) sealed off a season where even NFL buffs are admitting our league impacts their league. I'll always admit they impact us more than viceversa.

The non-calls? I have never gotten it. I don't understand why (and yes it happens in the CFL too, plus most other pro sports) rules like pass interference suddenly change with the philosphy of 'letting the players play'. If its worth calling in the 1st quarter, call it throughout the game, IMO.

It certainly was the offensive type game I thought it might be. I know 34-31 is no barnburner in the CFL but for an NFL game it is highscoring considering both teams are known for their defense (SanFran moreso).

Certainly aspects like timeouts also came into play in this game. Even when the 49ers went for 2. Perhaps early, always easy to debate after the fact.

I have to admit, I was hoping Ray Lewis would go out on the losing end but I'm happy for many of the Ravens including the Head Coach. And Randy Moss has to feel snakebitten too. Been to two and left without a ring both times. Oh well, thats it football wise until CFL training camps open, for me. Arena Football just is not something I get into.

So, 49ers lost in the Divisional Round last year, Superbowl losers this year (first 49er Superbowl loss period, I believe) and therefore probably good candidates to do well next season too.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

You have to be happy too for Ravens' OJ Brigance. Loved Harbaugh asking for a cheer for OJ!!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Started off hoping the 49ers would win but I got tired of their coach whining and complaining.
South Pender
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote: Not a Ravens fan. Not really a Lewis fan. But he sure can crank up his team. Now go away and stay out of the news and the limelight. Somehow I don't think we've seen the last of him. Maybe run for Congress for the Republican Party or something like that.
Absolutely agree. He's had way too much attention. I hear he's planning to run in 2014 as a Democrat for the House in Maryland. :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

NFL is voting on some rule changes today (March 19). The two I can remember (and my vote would be :thup: ) are eliminating chop blocks and penalizing offensive players for using the crown of their helmet to initiate contact.

Both of these rules are meant to help defenses. Both rule changes make sense, IMO. Some long-time 'part of the game' rules have really impacted defenses and defensive players have been saying 'fine, for safety I can't do this anymore but why can the offensive guy?'. Good point.

The one thing I know from hockey lockouts, tax code changes and professional sports rule changes is that there will be 'collateral damage'. In other words unintended side effects that may really change the game. For e.g. with the limiting how an offensive player initiates contact, will that probably lead to more strips/fumbles etc... At least player safety should be improved.

One other rule being chattered about is the possible elimination of the 'tuck rule'. Ambivalent on that one but I'm sure others have their opinions.....
South Pender
Legend

Things are looking up for the 2013 Seahawk season. They have done well in free agency, picking up DE Cliff Avril from the Lions and DE Michael Bennett from the Bucs. These two guys, especially Avril, will provide the better pass rush Pete Carroll felt was needed. An already-good defense just got much better. The big signing, though, would have to be Percy Harvin, from the Vikings. This guy, although not big at 5-11, 184 lbs., has 4.41 40-time, and is a potential game-breaker. Paired with Sidney Rice (a former teammate at Minnesota), he will provide the deep passing threat that I felt was lacking last year. With a proven arm in Russell Wilson at QB, the 'hawks' offense also just got better--and it was already pretty good. Seattle has probably done better than just about anyone else in free agency this year. ESPN ranks them No. 1 in the pre-season power rankings, one step ahead of SF.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Things are looking up for the 2013 Seahawk season. ...
I agree, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Hawks turn out this year. Defence is looking great, AGAIN. And they added some cogs on offence too. Certainly, IMO, the 49ers and Seahawks just seem to have gotten a lot more done than the Rams/Cardinals. Surprising just because they finished 1/2 in the division last year. That being said, I wasn't expecting much of the Seahawks last season, so I was pleasantly surprised. This year I'm expecting the same or better. Hope they don't disappoint.........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
South Pender wrote:Things are looking up for the 2013 Seahawk season. ...
I agree, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Hawks turn out this year. Defence is looking great, AGAIN. And they added some cogs on offence too. Certainly, IMO, the 49ers and Seahawks just seem to have gotten a lot more done than the Rams/Cardinals. Surprising just because they finished 1/2 in the division last year. That being said, I wasn't expecting much of the Seahawks last season, so I was pleasantly surprised. This year I'm expecting the same or better. Hope they don't disappoint.........
Yes, last year was pretty neat for the SeaHawks. I really like Pete Carroll. And ya gotta luv Russell Wilson.

49ers are pretty cool too.

Got those CFL prototype QBs. :wink:

And Pete Carroll is an outside the box thinker. We have had more of those in the CFL than the NFL.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Sometimes it really does seem damned if you do, damned if you don't..... then again....

Apparently 4,000 ex-NFLers have a pending lawsuit because they weren't warned enough regarding the potential problems that come with being a professional football player...

Okay, I get it, perhaps. So, the NFL goes to make drastic changes to how the game is played and now some current players and some ex-players are saying the NFL has 'sissified' the game. HUH? You claim the NFL provided a work environment that was dangerous and that the NFL should have told you what you were getting into BUT don't make any changes because we're men and we don't want to sissify the game?

I'm a profootball fan. I do not want players to have shortened lives just so I can enjoy watching their sport. So, make it safe but keep it consistent. I know what its like to have multiple concussions (seizure disorder) and I'd recommend the NFL players try come up with better ways of improving player safety instead of simply whining about what is being tried.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The NFL have to act due to the lawsuits. The CFL needs to get its act together too on this.

As Buono noted recently - and I agree - it is the difference in today's players - speed, size, fitness - and no doubt part due to the equipment that is harder and can inflict more punishment that is making a difference. The days Buono played there'd be TC stories of how the HC would sequester some arriving out of shape Ol/DL being monitored for food intake. That player today would not be in TC. These guys are not playing on their athleticism alone and that too contributes to the injuries.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I have the NFL network and I saw an ad on their that got me chuckling.... IIRC, on April 13, the NFL network is having a SCHEDULE RELEASE show. Funny thing is it maybe fun to watch. I certainly enjoy the discussion and debate that occurs here after the CFL sked hits the streets. At first glance I laughed and thought to myself, is this going to get viewers? Now I'm wondering how much longer until the CFL does a 'schedule release show' :wink: ?
South Pender
Legend

NFL training camps open today. Regular season starts the week after Labour Day. Should be an interesting season with the two NFC West teams--Seattle and SF--looking so good. Some sources have Seattle rated #1. Pro Football Talk has the first four: SF #1; Denver #2; Baltimore #3, and Seattle #4. Lots of excitement ahead in Seattle with Percy Harvin giving Russell Wilson another great target, and the beefed-up D-line. The 'Hawks should be great!