Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Roger Godell must be giddy. NFL offensive coordinators are ahead of defensive coordinators right now as notahomer points out. The winning team in each of last weekend's 4 divisional playoff games produced 30 points or more. Throw in the fact there is also a new generation of star quarterbacks — Wilson, RG3, Luck and Kaepernick — who have stepped in and thrived in their first season which is almost unheard of in this league.

Obviously very talented QBs but also systems that they are exceling in and showcasing their athleticism for the most part. The OCs deserve a lot of credit. And you're right David, Seahawks offensive line was excellent Sunday. Jim Rome is so right when he compared Kaepernick to being one of the X-Men playing QB for the 49ers.

Hopefully more CFL GMs and coaches are paying attention. Other than BC and Calgary with Tate, not enough young QBs are being developed up here. By necessity, the Bombers tried but the jury is definitely still out on Elliott and Brink.
Instead, we are seeing teams like Edmonton (Joseph) and Hamilton (Burris) lean on aging veterans. Even Montreal is somewhat guilty by leaving Cavillo in for all 4 quarters regardless of the score.
If there is one question I have about Mark Trestman it'd be not getting a back up if AC went down. I suspect he simply thinks that he can quickly prep a new QB to play and win for him as he'd ensure he was brought on right. I have no idea on that though or how he runs practice to give his back ups the right reps like WB did with his QBs. I can only guess that the Lions still do this in practice but this year Mike Reilly did not get that much play time.

I think that WB would have seen a superstar CFL QB in the 'Hawks new starter.

I think 49ers vs Patriots as a good Superbowl but last week didn't pick well.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

After trailing 17-0, 49ers making a comeback. Now 24-21 in the 3rd quarter
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

49er's going to the Super Bowl. Atlanta doesn't deserve to go when you blow a big lead like that.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:49er's going to the Super Bowl. Atlanta doesn't deserve to go when you blow a big lead like that.
it shoulda been da hawks.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Harbaugh vs Harbaugh

Brother vs Brother

Super Bowl
274always
All Star

WestCoastJoe wrote:Harbaugh vs Harbaugh

Brother vs Brother

Super Bowl
Woooot for Baltimore! :yahoo:

Brady now 67-1 when leading at the half at home. bahahaha
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Enjoyed both games but the both lacked the suspense contained in the divisional round, IMO. I went 2/2 but nothing to brag about, IMO. Neither was a real surprise to me.

The Falcons are stuck. I think another team in a similar situation is the Houston Texans. Keep knocking on the door but no ones going to let you in dressed like that. Winning lots of games, winning playoff games and then division titles doesn't mean much when it comes time to earn your ticket to the Championship. Those Falcons need to do something to prepare for the playoffs now. Obviously you have to win to get in but whats the point of being in if you are just a tune-up to helping another team make the Superbowl? Maybe its the Coach, maybe its something else.

I'm betting the Patriots might be in a similar situation. I know, I know, they have had playoff/Superbowl success but their recent record has not been that good. I picked the Ravens to beat the Patriots based largely on how the Patriots have done in the postseason the past few seasons. IMO, the Patriots didn't deserve to be in last years Superbowl and the Giants ended up winning it. Had the Patriots won, I doubt they'd would have succeeded versus the 49ers either but all thats moot. The Ravens completed what they should have done last season.

The Superbowl matchup has its usual ton of storylines and even if there hadn't been, stories would have been found/made up. OJ Brigance suffering from ALS. The Harbaugh Bowl. Modell passing on. Ray Lewis heading into retirement. Etc....

For me, its neat because both these teams have such a strong reputation for defence. Both teams also have functional offences. I think/hope the 49ers win. I prefer their offence of late. I wonder if it will be a low scoring game. I doubt it simply because of the 49er offence. It will be successful enough that both defences will just have to do the best they can. I'm guessing 49ers 38 Ravens 28
South Pender
Legend

Liked the NFC outcome, but not the AFC. I have been sickened by the fawning from the commentators, film crew, reporters, et al. over Ray Lewis. We know that the guy's a thug (actually escaping prosecution for his part in a murder), and his truly colossal self-love is just nauseating. I wish the commentators would show some perspective. I feel bad for Tom Brady, but the Patriots just weren't good enough today. Lord, I hope the 9ers beat the Ravens.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

South Pender wrote:Liked the NFC outcome, but not the AFC. I have been sickened by the fawning from the commentators, film crew, reporters, et al. over Ray Lewis. We know that the guy's a thug (actually escaping prosecution for his part in a murder), and his truly colossal self-love is just nauseating. I wish the commentators would show some perspective. I feel bad for Tom Brady, but the Patriots just weren't good enough today. Lord, I hope the 9ers beat the Ravens.
Ray Lewis got away with murder. Literally. Maybe after the Super Bowl he could use the time off to find the white suit. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We're going have to put up with the Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh and Ray Lewis' last game media hype for the next couple of weeks.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I also think the NFL & CFL still have the ability to keep one's appetite for their product.

The NHL opened its so-called shortened season of 48 games where the rhetoric is piling up about how games are more important because we are missing 34ish games off of the USUAL schedule. The NBA went through a similar facade last year. MLB is about to kick off its 'spring training' in the upcoming weeks before embarking on its annual long trek to a 'fall classic'.

However, the NFL/CFL have seasons short enough that I can see adding more games without losing interest. There is no real need to do so, of course. In fact, the NFL could probably use a haircut on its preseason, if you ask me. Both football leagues have solid regular seasons and quick sprints to their championships. The one loss and your done format obviously has legends like Manning and Brady saying "UGGGHHH, next season can't come fast enough". So, no, I don't want to see either professional football league adding to their schedule. Just saying, they play few enough games, they all seem to matter that much more.

As far as the Superbowl itself. I think this will be one of the least interesting 'hype' ups I've seen. The fact two brothers are coaching is cool but as one of them has already said (Jim, I think) ' its about the players not the coaches'. The Lewis storyline is one I wish had already gone away. The new backup QB that seems to be a cutting edge on the latest 'evolution' is obviously going to be around for quite a few seasons more.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Bret Favre will be working as an NFL network guest correspondent on SuperBowl Sunday. Nearly threw something at my TV the other day because the NFL network talked about Favre 'coming out of retirement' once again. They had me, I fell for it and I screamed "oh no Bret, NO!!!" but his unretirement had nothing to do with putting the pads back on...... Instead he'll be holding a microphone.

I'm still going with the 49ers come gametime Sunday. Haven't figured out what to chow down on (Probably Memphis Blues BBQ food but we'll see). Papa John's Pizza has a neat contest going. You put in a guess as to how the cointoss goes and if your choice is the one that comes up....you get a free pizza! Apparently the choice of 'heads' has a slight lead in all the Superbowls played so far. Many of the NFL vets were chanting the mantra "tails never fails" but I'm gonna guess heads too. Of course the other interesting bet (man versus beast) is still open too.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bettors are having a field day. You can bet on what colour outfit Beyonce will be wearing. Black apparently is the current favourite. You can also bet who the MVP is going to thank first. Team mates, God, parents etc.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

go god.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I have never been a fan of the Ravens.

Ray Lewis is one helluva player. Inspirational beyond belief. I have doubts about his checkered past. I find his histrionics after victory tiresome. No knocking him as a player though.

Flacco. Rice. Ho hum. But a very solid team, playing highly motivated football. Harbaugh the Elder says the motivation has taken on a life of its own.

Gotta love the way Kaepernick plays. Gotta respect where he came from, and the blessings he received in his adoptive family. Gotta love the way the 49ers play. Both on O and D. Harbaugh the Younger IMO was underwhelming as a QB, but he is pretty amazing as a coach.

Long time 49ers fan. Easy choice in this game for me.

Go 9ers.