Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

1greatmysticbushape
Champion

mail it in sunday
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Friends were phoning me during the first half---HA-HA your Seahawks are DONE like dinner. I just said there is more to this yet.

Regular football watchers (especially CFL fans) know better. To quote Pete Carroll, football games are not won in the first quarter....etc.

Nice comeback, and the Falcons were also able to boot a field goal to win it. Another great game (by NFL standards).
by ANY standards
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well every single game, IMO, on this weeks Divisional slate of NFL games was worth watching. Atlanta really looked like they'd be saying 'here we go again' but were able to put away the fiesty Seahawks. Brady's Patriots win was not quite as exciting drama wise but it started out right with a long Texan kickoff return (that led to a measly FG).

Too bad really for me. The one team I really wanted to win (the Seahawks) almost did, but they were the only game I got right, IIRC, this week :dizzy:

Really did think Peyton's Broncos and Rogers Packers would be around next week. And boy, wouldn't a Seahawk/49er NFC Championship be a slobberknocker? The winner would have needed a two week layoff to recover to be able to play in the Superbowl.

I'm going to go with the visitors in both championship games next week. The Patriots had some tough injuries. Yes, they were able to adjust but this time their opponents know guys are missing. So, it will be the Ravens representing the AFC in the Superbowl, I'm guessing......

I have a friend from highschool who was/is/will be a Falcons fan. So, for his sake, it would be nice to see them play on. However, the 49ers look good on both sides of the ball (it was specials that did them in last year, IIRC). So, it will be the 49ers representing the NFC in the Superbowl, I'm guessing......

Based on my picks this week the Patriots/Falcons are probably thrilled..... Hope both games are close.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I wondered what the hell the Seahawks were doing when they named Wilson their starter back in September after signing Matt Flynn to a $19.5 milllion 3-year contract, that included $10 million signing bonus.

I was still wondering after the first 2 or 3 games but not anymore. Kudos to Pete Carroll for seeing how special this kid is. Can only imagine how good he would look playing on a CFL field under CFL rules. The kid is not only elusive but has excellent arm strength too.

Never would have believed at the start of the season it would be the Seahawks defence that would let them down. They missed Clemons today and could use another impact player on the d-line or at linebacker. But the unit as a whole was far more effective with the crowd noise behind them at Century Link than they were on the road.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would be nice to see the Harbaugh brothers face off in the Super Bowl
Hawkballer 14
Champion

My head says the Niners and Patriots win next week.

The sentimental side in me would love to see a Falcons/Ravens Super Bowl, that way one of Tony Gonzalez/Ray Lewis can have their John Elway moment and leave on top.

Final decision, my head wins: Niners/Pats Super Bowl.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Patriots vs 49ers for the title.

Niners fan from way back. Bill Walsh. Joe Montana. Roger Craig. Jerry Rice.

Patriots fan ... Bill Belichick. Tom Brady. Changing cast of running backs.

Not a Ray Lewis fan, but respect his fighting heart. No interest in the Falcons.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:I wondered what the hell the Seahawks were doing when they named Wilson their starter back in September after signing Matt Flynn to a $19.5 milllion 3-year contract, that included $10 million signing bonus.

I was still wondering after the first 2 or 3 games but not anymore. Kudos to Pete Carroll for seeing how special this kid is. Can only imagine how good he would look playing on a CFL field under CFL rules. The kid is not only elusive but has excellent arm strength too.

Never would have believed at the start of the season it would be the Seahawks defence that would let them down. They missed Clemons today and could use another impact player on the d-line or at linebacker. But the unit as a whole was far more effective with the crowd noise behind them at Century Link than they were on the road.
Interestingly, Christie Buono tweeted the other day that Wally saw Russell Wilson at the Seahawks' training camp and thought the Seahawks would be crazy not to make him their starting quarterback!

He really came on as the season progressed (funny how nobody talks about his height being an issue any longer), but I don't think enough credit has been given to their offensive line. I believe he was sacked a couple of times yesterday (including the costly one right before the half), but those were coverage sacks when he just couldn't find an open receiver. Most times he had enough time to tie up his shoelaces back there (Altanta pass rush was pretty listless too). I think their stellar O-line play was as much a factor in his success this season as anything.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

I agree, WCJ--Patriots and 9ers--at least that's my hope! I'm now wondering (and please excuse me if this has already been discussed in this long thread, which I haven't read all the way through) whether the Hawks could do themselves some serious good by trading Matt Flynn. Even if they couldn't get a really high-quality player in trade (but perhaps they can), they could clear out a lot of cap space and perhaps pick up a top FA or two. I'd like to see one more top receiver for Russell Wilson--a burner who can scare defenses deep--along with one or two defensive guys, maybe a D lineman and possibly a LB. They could be building a really stifling defensive with this core.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:... I'm now wondering (and please excuse me if this has already been discussed in this long thread, which I haven't read all the way through) whether the Hawks could do themselves some serious good by trading Matt Flynn. ...
Yes, I brought it up quite a few pages ago. This is a multi-seasonal NFL thread so that is the reason why it is longer than many threads on Lionbackers.

I don't know which way the Seahawks will go with Flynn. There are enough teams struggling with the position (QB) that you know there will be a market. Seattle outbid Miami, IIRC, for Flynns services. The Dolphins certainly did not have a stellar season, IMO, in part due to QB. And they were NOT the team most in need of a starter. Flynn does seem a tad expensive to be holding a clipboard. Then again, QB's do get hurt (look at the Steelers in 2012). Maybe Flynn is exactly what you need if Wilson gets knicked.....

I think there will be some turnover in the QB area throughout the league. Tebow, Vick are two off the top of my head I can't see staying where they are. I also guessed Romo might be gone but I'm looking wrong on that one (his stats are AWESOME, his record not so much, IMO). I won't be surprised if Flynn gets moved for the reasons you noted..........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
South Pender wrote:... I'm now wondering (and please excuse me if this has already been discussed in this long thread, which I haven't read all the way through) whether the Hawks could do themselves some serious good by trading Matt Flynn. ...
Yes, I brought it up quite a few pages ago. This is a multi-seasonal NFL thread so that is the reason why it is longer than many threads on Lionbackers.

I don't know which way the Seahawks will go with Flynn. There are enough teams struggling with the position (QB) that you know there will be a market. Seattle outbid Miami, IIRC, for Flynns services. The Dolphins certainly did not have a stellar season, IMO, in part due to QB. And they were NOT the team most in need of a starter. Flynn does seem a tad expensive to be holding a clipboard. Then again, QB's do get hurt (look at the Steelers in 2012). Maybe Flynn is exactly what you need if Wilson gets knicked.....

I think there will be some turnover in the QB area throughout the league. Tebow, Vick are two off the top of my head I can't see staying where they are. I also guessed Romo might be gone but I'm looking wrong on that one (his stats are AWESOME, his record not so much, IMO). I won't be surprised if Flynn gets moved for the reasons you noted..........
Speaking of NFL QBs ...

From RG3, Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, all good choices, all sensational, I might have to go with Kaepernick. RG3 might never be the same physically. CK and RW are similar, but CK is so dayum big, and so dayum fast. But not much to choose between the two. RG3 is right there too, but dunno about his knees.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: Speaking of NFL QBs ...

From RG3, Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, all good choices, all sensational, I might have to go with Kaepernick. RG3 might never be the same physically. CK and RW are similar, but CK is so dayum big, and so dayum fast. But not much to choose between the two. RG3 is right there too, but dunno about his knees.
Its cool that Wilson/Kaepernick both play in WHAT WAS the suppossed weaksister (the year the Seahawks won the divison with a 7-9 record) the NFC WEST. So we get to see these two butt heads at least twice per season leading their respective teams offences. AND, both were not on ANYBODYS radar (except maybe Wally Buono :cool: ) coming into the pre-season games. I have to admit I thought Wilson looked good preseason but thats preseason. I thought for sure Flynn would be the starter come September.... Both of these HeadCoaches took one of those easy gambles. Give the unknown a shot and you got a good option if things don't work out. I mean the 49ers backup QB at this moment, started the NFC Championship game 12 months ago. Kudos to the Coaches to seeing the diamonds in the rough. It will be interesting to see how defences adapt to these three musketeers of options. IMO, Clay Matthews looked like a bumbling fool out there but I'm sure it was just because his coaches hadn't prepared him for what Kaepernick could really do. Matthews has been an awesome addition to defensive football but Kaepernick really made him look quick mortal, IMO.

As for RG3. He looked awesome in his last bowl appearance in college (my first time seeing him play). I didn't catch too many of his games but certainly saw a lot of highlights from this season. The games I did take in he looked good. I am left wondering, as you WCJ, if these injuries may have really impacted what he'll bring in the future.

It will be interesting (and a hot topic on the NFL Network this offseason) to see how other defensive coordinators adapt. It will also be interesting to see if other teams also try to bring these changes to their offences? I have no doubt, in a few years that new challenges will have evolved and this style of offence will have more of an impact than the 'wildcat' that burned so brightly for such a short time.......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Paying $19 million for a backup is a bit extravagant. Money could be spent shoring up their weaknesses
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Roger Godell must be giddy. NFL offensive coordinators are ahead of defensive coordinators right now as notahomer points out. The winning team in each of last weekend's 4 divisional playoff games produced 30 points or more. Throw in the fact there is also a new generation of star quarterbacks — Wilson, RG3, Luck and Kaepernick — who have stepped in and thrived in their first season which is almost unheard of in this league.

Obviously very talented QBs but also systems that they are exceling in and showcasing their athleticism for the most part. The OCs deserve a lot of credit. And you're right David, Seahawks offensive line was excellent Sunday. Jim Rome is so right when he compared Kaepernick to being one of the X-Men playing QB for the 49ers.

Hopefully more CFL GMs and coaches are paying attention. Other than BC and Calgary with Tate, not enough young QBs are being developed up here. By necessity, the Bombers tried but the jury is definitely still out on Elliott and Brink.
Instead, we are seeing teams like Edmonton (Joseph) and Hamilton (Burris) lean on aging veterans. Even Montreal is somewhat guilty by leaving Cavillo in for all 4 quarters regardless of the score.