Lions @ Riders, Nov 14, Pre-Game Odds and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DATE TEAMS Opening bodog BetUS Sports Interaction 5Dimes

11/14/2010 Toronto 48½o-105 48o-110 48o-110

1:00 PM Hamilton -7-105 -7-110 -7-110

11/14/2010 British Columbia 52o-105 52o-110 52o-110

4:30 PM Saskatchewan -5½-105 -5-110 -5-110
http://stats.sportsbettingstats.com/CFL/odds.aspx
LAST 5 GAMES

RESULT ATS RESULT TOTAL

Nov 6 - Won 23-21 at Hamilton | Recap L (-4) U (52)
Oct 31 - Won 23-17 vs Saskatchewan | Recap W (-3½) U (53½)
Oct 22 - Won 36-31 at Calgary | Recap W (8½) O (55)
Oct 16 - Lost 31-28 vs Edmonton | Recap L (-6) O (52)
Oct 11 - Lost 47-35 at Winnipeg | Recap L (2½) O (50)

TEAM STATISTICS

OFFENSIVE RANK DEFENSIVE RANK

AVERAGE SCORE FOR: 26.6 5 AVERAGE SCORE AGAINST: 25.2 3
TOTAL YARDS: 359.6 7 TOTAL YARDS: 403.6 6
RUSHING YARDS: 99.6 7 RUSHING YARDS: 138.9 8
PASSING YARDS: 259.9 5 PASSING YARDS: 264.7 4
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I thought the oddsmakers would have it closer. Must be a lot of Watermelon Heads betting on the Prairie Dogs.

Pumpkin Heads coming to town. Look out, Regina.

As Wally says, the Lions are battle tested and battle ready.

Ooooohh ... gonna be a good one.
joe kapp22
Legend

How healthy are the Leos, is anyone new out for this game?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
zark
Champion

I'll make a prediction. Argos 30 Tabbies 21
Lions 28 Riders 9
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Ques ... story.html
B.C. LIONS

Regular-season record

8-10, third in West

Reason for optimism

The Lions are the hottest team in the CFL, having won seven of their final 10 games. Quarterback Travis Lulay appears to be gaining confidence and threw for a career-high 424 yards on Saturday. Paul McCallum was the most accurate kicker in the CFL with an 88.2% success rate on field-goal attempts.

Cause for concern

The offensive line allowed a league-high 65 sacks. Keeping Saskatchewan's offence off the field on Sunday will be a challenge considering that, heading into last week's games, the Lions ranked last in average time of possession (25:44). Only Winnipeg had more two and outs this year than B.C.

Passing yards

T. Lulay 2.602

Rushing yards

J. Robertson 953

Receiving yards

G. Simon 1,190

E. Arceneaux 1,114

P. Jackson 758

Tackles

S. Elimimian 78

S. Franks 70

D. Marsh 63
65 sacks ... not a good thing. Is there a way to say well we don't mind giving up sacks because ... "tires out the D Line" "sets up the screen pass" "tires out the DBs" "sacks do not correlate with victories"

I don't think there is anything good about it. And it has been a feature of our team over the last few years: too many sacks, too much pressure on the QB, too many injuries for the QB.

The flip side, it seems to me, is a focus on a strong running game, along with an effective anti-blitz package.

We'll see. Buono has been an advocate of a strong running game in the past. Surprised he has gone with the deemphasis on it this year. I cannot see any benefit in it.

The Riders love to throw a lot of looks at the O Line. This will be a good indication of whether we can handle a tough pass rush. If we can, and if we can also run the ball against a relatively poor run defence, we could make a nice push for the Cup.
almo89
Legend

They definitely need to run the ball more. I'd like to see them use Messam and Davis to run a bit and release Robertson out of the back field for the dump pass for Lulay if there's nothing downfield. Lulay has been using Robertson like that a lot for the past couple of games which is good cause it's pretty much like a running play.

I wonder if the Rider's will disguise their blitzes a little better. Last game I noticed them line up everybody showing blitz and not disguising it. Judging from how Lulay has been playing, he has been able to pick those up pretty good. The question is will Lulay be able to read the disguised blitzes which is a lot harder to see.
joe kapp22
Legend

TBH, blitz pickup has not been as much of an issue since Lulay gained some experience and the Oline was reshuffled, along with Rolly Lumbala returning.

When the Riders are rolling well they score points and the Defence then throws full house blitzes at the Qb as they know he has to pass.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Where is Sherko at? What is our starting oline? This has been the biggest area of concern the whole season (and yes I would say for a few years running), but this year with all of the injuries it has been hard to get any consistency that is the hallmark of an oline that has been playing together for quite some time. And this is where I am concerned. That and when the secondary plays it soft.

The defensive secondary has me concerned because they are a hot and cold bunch. When they are on fire it looks like no offense can get anything past them. But when they go cold it sometimes looks like we might as well not have anyone out there.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
zark
Champion

I posted this on another thread but Durant can get rattled.

Week 11
Sun Sep 12 Saskatchewan 2 Winnipeg 31 01:00 PM

2 points???
I think our defence can rattle him. :rockin:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
LFITQ
Team Captain

zark wrote:I posted this on another thread but Durant can get rattled.

Week 11
Sun Sep 12 Saskatchewan 2 Winnipeg 31 01:00 PM

2 points???
I think our defence can rattle him. :rockin:
Depends if we have a Rich Stubler attacking style of defence and how soon Benevides moves into the "Prevent" defense.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
The_Pauser
Legend

I don't want to jinx it or anything, so I'll keep my comments short and not make any real predictions. But I will say this...I don't think Saskatchewan is particularly thrilled that they're playing us on Sunday, and I don't think Calgary will be rooting for us to knock off Saskatchewan either.
Roar you Lions roar!
swervynmerv
Legend

I hope you are right Pauser.I listened to the Regina sportstalk show today and the media and fans are predicting a blowout of at least a 14-21 point win. I hope the Riders are so cocky!! It will be a tough game and the Riders should be favored to win, but if they think the Lions will roll over and that the West Final in Calgary is an automatic, they are in for a suprise!!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:I hope you are right Pauser.I listened to the Regina sportstalk show today and the media and fans are predicting a blowout of at least a 14-21 point win. I hope the Riders are so cocky!! It will be a tough game and the Riders should be favored to win, but if they think the Lions will roll over and that the West Final in Calgary is an automatic, they are in for a suprise!!

I am of the mind that the Riders due to their recent struggles will not be cocky in this game. It is play offs and teams know in one game anything can happen.

It is a tough place to play for the visiting team as they say.

With the Lions it is hard to predict how they will do. To expect Lulay to pass for 400 yards is a bit of a stretch and we know the Lions OC is not much of a run guy other than a lot of short dump offs to his RB so part of what might work vs Riders in running is not available philosophically to their team. It would be nice to have a shot at running through them and giving them both passing and running to focus on rather than the Chaps offensive thinking.

Another week of bad field positioning (or less than superb positioning as the ST has been giving them) will be bad news for the Lions as they will not win if the Riders can rack up TDs and all the Lions will muster is FGs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
joe kapp22
Legend

Little factoid:

Riders kicking game is not up to par, they lost Luca Congi and Eddie Johnson and their other kicker both missed field goals.

Difficult to tell how we will play, the Riders have weapons at every position on offence and the defence is designed to pressure the Qb once they have a lead.

Can our D hold up? Can Stanely Franks hold up to being targeted by Durant?