Report: Wake wants out of his contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

From TSN:
With training camp less than a month away, there appears to be one Lion who wants out of B.C.

According to CKNW Radio in Vancouver, last year's outstanding rookie and defensive player of the year Cameron Wake wants out of his existing contract with the Lions.

Wake has two years remaining on his current deal but he has received some interest from the NFL and his agent has found a technicality that could get his client out of the contract.

Normally, players entering the option year of their contract are given a window to sign with an NFL team before free agent season begins in February. Wake would be eligible to shop his wares next year.

The report indicates Lions' general manager and head coach Wally Buono had discussions with Wake's agent on Monday and the talks were deemed positive.

According to the report, the CFL Players' Association has told Wake that if he wants to go to arbitration, he would have to pay his own way.

Wake led the league with 15 sacks last season.
I'm sure Wake would love to bolt now but a contract is a contract isn't it?
And why is this coming up two weeks before training camp and not closer to the end of last season?

Would like to know more about the "positive talks" between Wally and his agent yesterday. Is Wake's agent looking for a pay raise on his exsisting deal?
Big Time
Champion

Sounds like he must be going for a new deal. My guess is that Wally won't budget on the current deal but might give them some idea of what they can expect when it's time to actually negotiate a new deal. It would set a very bad precedent to renegotiate a deal in the middle of a contract and I can't see Wally doing this. It basically means if Wake really wants out, he'll have to sit for a year. The question is will Wake be a distraction if he doesn't get what he wants.

I'm curious as to what this technicality his agent claims to have found is.
MisterJones
Rookie

SammyGreene wrote:From TSN:
With training camp less than a month away, there appears to be one Lion who wants out of B.C.

According to CKNW Radio in Vancouver, last year's outstanding rookie and defensive player of the year Cameron Wake wants out of his existing contract with the Lions.

Wake has two years remaining on his current deal but he has received some interest from the NFL and his agent has found a technicality that could get his client out of the contract.

Normally, players entering the option year of their contract are given a window to sign with an NFL team before free agent season begins in February. Wake would be eligible to shop his wares next year.

The report indicates Lions' general manager and head coach Wally Buono had discussions with Wake's agent on Monday and the talks were deemed positive.

According to the report, the CFL Players' Association has told Wake that if he wants to go to arbitration, he would have to pay his own way.

Wake led the league with 15 sacks last season.
I'm sure Wake would love to bolt now but a contract is a contract isn't it?
And why is this coming up two weeks before training camp and not closer to the end of last season?

Would like to know more about the "positive talks" between Wally and his agent yesterday. Is Wake's agent looking for a pay raise on his exsisting deal?
I think Wake wants to leave and its not for a pay raise. Can't blame him. He has NFL written all over him. As far as a contract being a contract, not in the CFL it seems.
DerekDD
Starter

Big Time wrote:Sounds like he must be going for a new deal. My guess is that Wally won't budget on the current deal but might give them some idea of what they can expect when it's time to actually negotiate a new deal. It would set a very bad precedent to renegotiate a deal in the middle of a contract and I can't see Wally doing this. It basically means if Wake really wants out, he'll have to sit for a year. The question is will Wake be a distraction if he doesn't get what he wants.

I'm curious as to what this technicality his agent claims to have found is.
i think his interest in the nfl is whats driving this not an angling for a new deal. the new deal would be chicken feed compared to what he'd make in the nfl.
Last edited by DerekDD on Tue May 13, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wake is in a strange position where he has nothing left to prove up here. He waltzes in to lead the league in sacks and captured the MOP for rookie and top defensive player.

Perhaps he and his agent realize the bar has been set so high for this season that anything less would actually hurt his NFL chances? He also kicked around the NFL a bit before coming up here so at 26 they may feel they need to do whatever it takes to get his opportunity sooner rather than later.
DerekDD
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:Wake is in a strange position where he has nothing left to prove up here. He waltzes in to lead the league in sacks and captured the MOP for rookie and top defensive player.

Perhaps he and his agent realize the bar has been set so high for this season that anything less would actually hurt his NFL chances? He also kicked around the NFL a bit before coming up here so at 26 they may feel they need to do whatever it takes to get his opportunity sooner rather than later.
i agree. he's after the nfl money.
Big Time
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:Wake is in a strange position where he has nothing left to prove up here. He waltzes in to lead the league in sacks and captured the MOP for rookie and top defensive player.

You're right about him being in a bad position, but did he not have a chance with some NFL teams this year? Did he have any tryouts? What were the results if he did?

Either way, I can't see the Lions releasing him and if Wake sits out, it's not going to help his NFL position at all. Best case scenario is that Wake comes in motivated and absolutely determined to set the bar even higher than he did last year! :rockin:
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:

You're right about him being in a bad position, but did he not have a chance with some NFL teams this year? Did he have any tryouts? What were the results if he did?

Either way, I can't see the Lions releasing him and if Wake sits out, it's not going to help his NFL position at all. Best case scenario is that Wake comes in motivated and absolutely determined to set the bar even higher than he did last year! :rockin:
Why would he tryout, this off season, when he has 2 years left on his contract?
Lloyd
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Big Time wrote:You're right about him being in a bad position, but did he not have a chance with some NFL teams this year? Did he have any tryouts? What were the results if he did?

He couldn't legally participate in any NFL tryouts this offseason as he's still under contract to BC for another year plus option. NEXT offseason he could try out and use the option year window should he be offered a contract.

If I know Wally the only negotiating that will happen this year will be to sign Wake to an extension. He will not under any circumstances allow Wake to negotiate his way out of the remaining two years of his deal as it would set a dangerous precedent. Unless there really is something to the "technicality" Wake has two options, retire and sit out this year or suck it up and play.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

I think that you covered all the basis for the Wake camp with your post SG. I know that I was sure glad that the Lions had CW wrapped up with a 2 + 1 contract, knowing that the option year was going to be his to explore the NFL. His age may deter a couple teams at that point, but right now he is cheap and an amazing athlete that would be difficult to ignore. I was looking forward to seeing if he could use some CFL experience to up his game this year, a few more sacks would be nice for our line. :)

The te4chnecallity should have been further explored by the writer of this article, however it is nice to hear that the discussions with Wally were "positive".
Entertainment value = an all time low
MisterJones
Rookie

Hambone wrote:

He couldn't legally participate in any NFL tryouts this offseason as he's still under contract to BC for another year plus option. NEXT offseason he could try out and use the option year window should he be offered a contract.

If I know Wally the only negotiating that will happen this year will be to sign Wake to an extension.
That isn't going to happen. The reason this is happening is because Wake wants to go to the NFL now so why would he extend in the CFL? He wants out.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sounds to me like the NFL is tampering with a player under contract.
Rammer
Team Captain

MisterJones wrote:
Hambone wrote:

If I know Wally the only negotiating that will happen this year will be to sign Wake to an extension.
That isn't going to happen. The reason this is happening is because Wake wants to go to the NFL now so why would he extend in the CFL? He wants out.
He needs to go now, or he will finish his career in the CFL as one year more puts him at a very old 27 as a project level for NFL considerations. Teams will find younger players to develop in hopes of reaping a 5 year career out of them. Cam Wake has more potential to latch on now, so he is making this move while the iron is hot.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Sounds to me like the NFL is tampering with a player under contract.
Interesting point LionKing. I could have sworn during the Printers/Medlock 3-ring circus prior to the start of the 2005 season that there was talk of an NFL team providing the Lions financial compensation to allow Printers out of his contract.

Perhaps this is what Wally discussed with Wake's agent yesterday? The timing of Wake's request is very bizzare otherwise. This could have been done 4 or 5 months ago.
wildthing
All Star

wow, could be interesting to see what happens. Especially since the report mentions loopholes. Would be a huge loss if goes. But can you really keeep a guy around who doesn't want to be in town is the other issue. Wake's NFL aspiration might outweigh the CFL contract he has puts Wally in a interesting dilemma especially if Wake tanks TC to get cut.