A word about e-mailing Lions tickets.

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

Just tried the Lions new service of being able to e-mail (or "Forward" as it is called on the site) your tickets to someone else.

a little known thing when it was mentioned is that there is an additional $1.95 CDN charge for this service per ticket being forwarded.

Just when you thought the Lions were doing something nice and giving an added bonus to season ticket holders, it's gone.

So the cost for a single game for a season ticket holder who has to e-mail his tickets to someone else instead of being $22.20 per ticket is now $24.15 in order for them to recover their loss.

I know as a long distance season ticket holder I thought this e-mail service would be great and would allow me to manage my tickets without having to put the burden on someone in Vancouver. But as has been the case far too frequently this year, the Lions have managed to stiff us yet again.

The decision to renew next year is getting easier and easier. :sigh:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:Just tried the Lions new service of being able to e-mail (or "Forward" as it is called on the site) your tickets to someone else.

a little known thing when it was mentioned is that there is an additional $1.95 CDN charge for this service per ticket being forwarded.

Just when you thought the Lions were doing something nice and giving an added bonus to season ticket holders, it's gone.

So the cost for a single game for a season ticket holder who has to e-mail his tickets to someone else instead of being $22.20 per ticket is now $24.15 in order for them to recover their loss.

I know as a long distance season ticket holder I thought this e-mail service would be great and would allow me to manage my tickets without having to put the burden on someone in Vancouver. But as has been the case far too frequently this year, the Lions have managed to stiff us yet again.

The decision to renew next year is getting easier and easier. :sigh:
They will attempt to charge for a service which is similar to what Ticket Master does, once the public started to accept all that garbage every other service just follows like sheep. I can recall a time when a business selling tickets was just happy to have someone purchase a ticket, now it is all about how I can add in extra cost fees and how high can I go before the complaints coming in outweigh the coin received.

The Lions had better look into addressing any further decisions based on nickel and dimming the fans, or it may just find out how offensive their plan really is.

AS for the service itself, I also thought that this was a great way to arrange to move any tickets that I was unable to use come game day, I don't think so now.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MacNews
Team Captain

Don't forget the $1 per ticket surcharge imposed by BC Place. It all adds up.
smithers

You guys aren't serious in thinking $1.95 is "stiffing" you, are you? It's maybe 8-9% of the ticket cost, which is pretty nominal. Software/IT costs money, I doubt the Lions are making any profit on offering this service. They have to develop the infrastructure in their system to deal with it, from web service, through integration with the facility & ticket management system. Plus ongoing maintenance, and operation. For a service that not many people really need, they'd never have usage to cover costs. Or to put it another way, for the cost of one beer, you can email 4 tickets.

I love people that complain about prices of CFL tickets, or charges of a dollar or two. the cost of 1 1 NHL playoff game I went to (regular lower bowl, not club seats) costs more than my entire season tickets. There's always plenty of threads on ourbombers.com about people complaining about prices of things, it's the Winnipeg way, but come on!

But if you're still bent out of shape over it, try driving your Chevy Surburban across town to deliver the tickets in person, that'll save you the $1.95 (after a dozen liters of gas and an hour or two).
Rammer
Team Captain

smithers wrote:You guys aren't serious in thinking $1.95 is "stiffing" you, are you? It's maybe 8-9% of the ticket cost, which is pretty nominal. Software/IT costs money, I doubt the Lions are making any profit on offering this service. They have to develop the infrastructure in their system to deal with it, from web service, through integration with the facility & ticket management system. Plus ongoing maintenance, and operation. For a service that not many people really need, they'd never have usage to cover costs. Or to put it another way, for the cost of one beer, you can email 4 tickets.

I love people that complain about prices of CFL tickets, or charges of a dollar or two. the cost of 1 1 NHL playoff game I went to (regular lower bowl, not club seats) costs more than my entire season tickets. There's always plenty of threads on ourbombers.com about people complaining about prices of things, it's the Winnipeg way, but come on!

But if you're still bent out of shape over it, try driving your Chevy Surburban across town to deliver the tickets in person, that'll save you the $1.95 (after a dozen liters of gas and an hour or two).
While I understand the point you raise on the Lions incurring the cost, they team will more than make up for that cost as the tickets that I send along via this new service, may well entice more ticket sales down the road for them. Because of circumstances, I have sat on tickets in the past, this would not have to be the case now, and while I may still use the service, it is our right to complain about this, as it is all to common a theme from our 06 GC Champions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can someone explain how this emailing tickets work ? Much appreciated.
smithers

I hear you, but just trying to give the Lions credit on this. In the past, we've shown up at the ticket window and just said "we forgot all our tickets at home", and they've just printed us new ones, so they aren't sticklers really. One part of the reason the Lions keep building their season ticket totals, is because I see they're committed to the fans, the fan experience, and service.

I just differentiate that they can't give away free stuff & services that cost money, because that's gotta come from somewhere. The only other option is to raise season ticket prices, and then offer the free-emailing service to everyone. But that way people that don't use it are subsidizing it.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Can someone explain how this emailing tickets work ? Much appreciated.
If you are a ST holder and have an on-line account with the Lions on BCLIONS.com, you can manage the e-mail transfer from that option.
LFITQ
Team Captain

The only other option is to raise season ticket prices
Which they have been doing on a regular basis and seemingly to be removing the # of benefits to being a season ticket holder.

Here's the problem "Smithers", I would love to drive across town to deliver the tickets. But I can't. you see the problem here is I live 7 hours away and am a season ticket holder. The Lions came out with this new service where I could e-mail tickets to others. Possibly even recover some of the costs of the "lost" games because there is no way I can get to all of the games. This was purrfect. Afterall, it is just an e-mail. It sends an electronic signal which cancels out the Barcode of my current tickets and then sends a PDF file to the receiver with a new bar code which is tied to my seats. That PDF file is now the "ticket" in to the game.

But now they want to charge me an extra $1.95 per ticket for this. Which then increases the cost of my ticket to whomever I want to sell it to. This practically does away with any savings to the season ticket holder. So now instead of a game day ticket costing $22.20 it is now $24.15 per ticket.

The benefit to the season ticket holder = increased cost.
The benefit to the Lions = an extra $1.95 per ticket plus they get someone else sitting in the stands that may be a potential season ticket holder next season. Also known as, free advertising at my expense.

This coupled with other things the Lions have continually taken away is making the Lions season ticket package a lot less attractive to me.

Consider it just one more straw.

Now on the flip side of that...
Using your example is exactly the point. For them to call up your seat #'s cancel the existing bar codes on them, print you out new tickets and have a person there ready to do that will cost them a whole lot more $$ than the e-mailing of tickets. So why don't they charge those people that have forgotten tickets that actually costs them more $$ and make this e-mailing service free which doesn't even cost them the ink on the paper as the receiver of th etickets has to do that? To me that makes a heck of a lot more sense than ripping off season ticket holders who are trying to recover some of their costs for having given the Lions a wad of cash up front.

The deadlines to purchase seem to get earlier and earlier, the swag received is getting less and less (amongst other problems with the way they do that), the perks of being a season ticket holder are getting less and less, and the ticket prices keep rising. We are now getting far less "bang" for our buck than we were a mere 4 years ago.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
nelson95
Legend

I think its a great deal
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
smithers

I think it's a great deal too.

I see the swag increasing. Things like the regulation football, signed by the entire team, two years ago. Baseball caps, scarfs, backpacks, the bonus stuff in the season ticket package seems to increase every year. And the price of season tickets seems to be rising lower than the inflation rate, fairly minimally.

The argument of "it costs more to print tickets or use the box office, than it would cost to have a .pdf emailed" isn't right, because they've already developed the normal ticket processing infrastructure. That person is already there at the box office, it doesn't cost them more for them to handle 1 more phone call.

I also don't see the argument that if this was free, they'd get new fans into the seats. The person who'll buy your tickets probably would have went to the game anyways. It's not like it'll be some new person that would pay your $22 and come out of the woodwork and go to the game, but he won't pay the $24 so therefore he's staying home.

Consider the $1.95 as a shipping option. You sell something on ebay, the buyer pays for shipping, same thing with the email option. If you need to sell your tickets during the season, you get whatever you can, but the buyer can determine how he wants to get them, that's extra. But the market will determine the price you get, be it $10 per ticket or $30. Some games have big demand, and you can profit a bit, others perhaps not. The Lions can't control that, but at least you're starting with a ticket that you paid much less than the face value on game day. If you're giving them away, just ask the person you're giving them to, to cover the $1.95, which probably just means to buy you a beer sometime.

Although now that I think about it, maybe a better option would have been a system where the buyer pays the $1.95 directly, instead of you paying & then recouping it. In other words, the email to the buyer just has a link to the Lion's website, where once they pay the $1.95, then they can download the .pdf.

Anyways, I think within a few years the cost will disappear on this. LFITQ is right, it's just a barcode. If you don't want to pay the charge, you could just scan your tickets in with a scanner, then email the .jpeg yourself, and I'm sure that would work at the gate, but the buyer would probably not be as comfortable with that.
David
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:The deadlines to purchase seem to get earlier and earlier, the swag received is getting less and less (amongst other problems with the way they do that), the perks of being a season ticket holder are getting less and less, and the ticket prices keep rising. We are now getting far less "bang" for our buck than we were a mere 4 years ago.
I consider 3 consecutive West Final appearances and a Grey Cup victory to be a pretty good bang for my buck. As for swag getting less? :? I actually considered this year's haul to be quite substantial, possibly the best ever. Sure, one set for each season ticket holder would be nice but for me, I want the team to show a healthy bottom line so they can put the very best product on the field. I don't expect them to gouge, but I also don't want them to incur unnecessary expenses either. Just my .02 cents.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Soundy
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
The only other option is to raise season ticket prices
Which they have been doing on a regular basis and seemingly to be removing the # of benefits to being a season ticket holder.
They've apparently added one, in giving you the option to do it electronically AT ALL.
But now they want to charge me an extra $1.95 per ticket for this. Which then increases the cost of my ticket to whomever I want to sell it to. This practically does away with any savings to the season ticket holder. So now instead of a game day ticket costing $22.20 it is now $24.15 per ticket.
Is this not still cheaper than buying it at the box office? "Retail" on my Sec. 17 tickets is $35. Even with the $2 charge, that's still more than a $10 savings to whoever I "sell" it to - that's enough for a beer and a hotdog.
This coupled with other things the Lions have continually taken away is making the Lions season ticket package a lot less attractive to me.

Consider it just one more straw.
K, thanks... bye... don't let the Dome's revolving door hit you in the arse on the way out.
To me that makes a heck of a lot more sense than ripping off season ticket holders who are trying to recover some of their costs for having given the Lions a wad of cash up front.
"Ripping off" the STH? How so? You get the extra TWO WHOLE BUCKS from whoever you pass the ticket on to... he's still getting a deal... you're not out any more either way. Heck, add your own $2 "service charge" - buddy is still getting an $8 savings, and you're up $2.
The deadlines to purchase seem to get earlier and earlier, the swag received is getting less and less (amongst other problems with the way they do that), the perks of being a season ticket holder are getting less and less, and the ticket prices keep rising. We are now getting far less "bang" for our buck than we were a mere 4 years ago.
K, thanks... bye... don't let the Dome's revolving door hit you in the arse on the way out.

Image :bawl: :bawl: Image
Soundy
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Just my .02 cents.
DH 8)
Or $1.97 with convenience charge, for transmitting it electronically :)
David
Team Captain

Soundy wrote:
David wrote:Just my .02 cents.
DH 8)
Or $1.97 with convenience charge, for transmitting it electronically :)
True enough Soundy. :lol:

With all due respect though, I think LFITQ has earned the right to vent. Here's a guy from Quesnel(!) who has supported the club with multiple season tickets purchases for the last umpteen years; his committment to the team cannot be called into question. I don't necessarily agree with his point, but as a longtime Lionbacker and moderator on the board I think he should be cut a greater amount of slack (and perhaps a little more respect too). Just my $1.97. :wink:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar