NEW Bomber Stadium!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BEEECEEE
All Star

Breaking News

Free Press Exclusive: A new Blue super structure
Asper prepared to contribute $40 million toward $120-M stadium

Sun Jan 14 2007

By Ed Tait | Winnipeg Free Press

BUSINESS mogul David Asper will huddle up with the Winnipeg Blue Bomber board of directors Sunday afternoon to pitch his plan to take the club private and help fund a new stadium.
The Free Press has obtained a copy of Asper's confidential proposal, including the architectural drawings and a 2 1/2-minute promotional DVD that will be shown to the Bomber board.

And while all the details will be released later Sunday after his meeting with the club's executives, The Free Press has also learned the plan calls for an injection of $40 million of Asper's money toward a new $120-million facility.

It would also include $40 million from both the federal and provincial governments and the donation of the land from the city -- Asper is said to have had informal discussions with all three political representatives from all three levels -- and would be built on the current site at Polo Park.

If his proposal is agreed on by the Bomber directors, construction on the facility would begin this fall, replace the existing 54-year-old Canad Inns Stadium and be completed in time for the 2008 Canadian Football League season.

A private corporation would then run the football club and the on-site retail/commercial aspect of the plan, scheduled to begin in 2008. It would also mean the end of the Bombers' 76-plus years of community ownership. The team has been run by a non-profit organization managed by a board of directors since its inception in 1930.

:rockin: :thup: Sweet design

But how would you extend something like this for grey cups?[/img]
Formely sfu_guy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would be nice. Doesn't look like it would be an indoor stadium.
LFITQ
Team Captain

But how would you extend something like this for grey cups?
simple. swing seating in the rafters .... 8)
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
MacNews
Team Captain

I want to see one artists rendition drawing that ends up looking anywhere close to the final product! By the stadium is built it will look more like BC Place than that drawing.

I took a look at the proposal: http://blueandgold.ca/Files/Final%20Pow ... tation.pdf

Some interesting notes:
?Sufficient washroom facilities
That's it? Just the bare minimum amount of washrooms? Poor choice of words.
?Two-level, 2,000 stall parking facility
No mention of tailgating in the parking lot. Surely that would be accomodated?
?Establish permanent Grey Cup Committee
?To promote Winnipeg & Bombers at Grey Cups throughout Canada
?Serve as a standing Host Committee for future Grey Cups
Interesting, do we have a permanent GC Committee?
BBBob

MacNews wrote:I took a look at the proposal: http://blueandgold.ca/Files/Final%20Pow ... tation.pdf

Some interesting notes:
?Sufficient washroom facilities
That's it? Just the bare minimum amount of washrooms? Poor choice of words.
Actually, if you click the "Here's The Deal Link" here:
http://www.blueandgold.ca/
Under the "State of the Art Stadium" title you will find this:
More than sufficient washroom facilities
It appears that someone forgot to add the keywords "more than" to the "View The Proposal" pdf.

:beer:
BBBob

Btw, here's another pic:

Keep in mind folks that this is likely not the ONLY proposal, as mentioned by the Bombers in their last press release.
Press Release wrote:Bombers receive details
of proposed partnership

WINNIPEG, MB ? The Winnipeg Blue Bombers board of directors met today with local businessman David Asper to review details of a proposal for a private/public partnership for the football club.

Bomber board chairman Ken Hildahl characterized the discussions as ?positive? and described the proposal as ?excellent and having merit.?

Hildahl went on to say that the football club?s board of directors will conduct a thorough review of the proposal before making any kind of decision.

?The board will now review and digest more thoroughly the contents of Mr. Asper?s proposal and will decide the next step to take in the weeks to come,? he said. ?The board takes its role as stewards of the football club very seriously and will conduct due diligence, including consulting our fans, before making any final decision regarding this proposal.?

Hildahl emphasized that the proposal that was presented today was the first of what could be several options that may be considered by the Bombers? board of directors.

Hildahl said that it is consistent with the strategic plan the football club embarked upon during the last couple of years. Full details of the board?s conceptual vision are available by going to the football club?s official website at http://www.bluebombers.com and clicking on the Stadium: Future link located at the bottom of the home page.

"It is important for our fans to know that the club has had a vision for the future for quite some time,? Hildahl said. ?This concept has been in development for many years and we are all very excited that there is momentum which will provide our club and fans a solid base for the future.

?Although the final design may be quite different then the one currently displayed,? Hildahl added ?this conceptual model gives our fans a look at what the future may bring."

Hildahl added the fact that private sector has interest in the football club indicates that the football club is ?on the right track? and that the team?s future looks bright.
Given the design of the roof structure, I say Asper ought to call Billy Gates and offer to call the stadium 'X-Box Center" for some large $$$. :lol:

:beer:
LFITQ
Team Captain

And BBBob just wants to know 1 thing ....

Can I play AA from my seat? 8)

Afterall, it's not like the Bombers are THAT fun to watch :wink:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

It would also include $40 million from both the federal and provincial governments
No way.....unless its an investment where the govts get a percentage of the gates till the "loan" is paid back.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

that would be so insane! :rockin:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
CB123
Legend

54-year-old Canad Inns Stadium
Wow its 54 years old? I thought it was a pretty good stadium when I was there for GC, but I didn?t like the concourse area, it was rrrreeeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy bad. lol they didnt even accept debit, and it was practically outside.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Lionsfan1976
All Star

Any mention on how many seats in the proposed stadium?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Lionsfan1976 wrote:Any mention on how many seats in the proposed stadium?
full, or empty :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back