Rourke now a NE Patriot

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

No idea until I see the NFL Gamebook but I just noticed Rourke is dress in full uniform. He just took his warmup jacket off to play catch beside Zappe with 1 minute to go in the 4th. Gamebook will tell me if he's on the game roster as a 3rd QB eligible to play at any point or only as the 3rd emergency QB.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:21 pm
No idea until I see the NFL Gamebook but I just noticed Rourke is dress in full uniform. He just took his warmup jacket off to play catch beside Zappe with 1 minute to go in the 4th. Gamebook will tell me if he's on the game roster as a 3rd QB eligible to play at any point or only as the 3rd emergency QB.
Rourke was declared New England’s emergency third quarterback, the same role he held when he was activated in Jacksonville. Speaking of Jacksonville, Trevor Lawrence left Sunday’s game with an injury to his throwing shoulder after turning the ball over three times. It was his fourth significant injury this year. He has yet to miss a start but C.J. Beathard finished the game and completed 11 of 15 passes with a touchdown and a QBR of 111.5, compared to Lawrence’s QBR of 64.0.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It's being reported that the Texan's also tried to claim Rourke off waivers but I guess the Pats had a higher priority. That would seem to bode well for Rourke staying in the NFL for a little while at least.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:59 am
It's being reported that the Texan's also tried to claim Rourke off waivers but I guess the Pats had a higher priority. That would seem to bode well for Rourke staying in the NFL for a little while at least.
Yes the Pats had the higher waiver priority. Houston was in the same position as New England albeit under different circumstances. Pats had lost their 3rd QB to the Chargers who plucked Will Greir off NE's PS when they lost Justin Herbert for the season. Houston was also down to 2 healthy QBs when C.J.Stroud suffered a concussion last week and was already ruled out for yesterday's game. Missing out on Rourke the Texans signed FA Tim Boyle who had been waived by the Jets 2 weeks earlier.
Dusty
Champion

Somewhat ironic that the Jags have declared Lawrence out for the game, after losing Rourke on waivers. If they hadn’t tried to shift him back to PR, they would have had two QB’s that knew the playbook in case one stumbled.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dusty wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:33 pm
Somewhat ironic that the Jags have declared Lawrence out for the game, after losing Rourke on waivers. If they hadn’t tried to shift him back to PR, they would have had two QB’s that knew the playbook in case one stumbled.
Jags took an ill advised gamble and lost. They should have known that there are several teams in need of QB depth. OTOH, Rourke gets to learn another NFL Offense and experience another QB room. And if Belicheck departs at the end of the season, as is rumoured, then Rourke gets further exposure to NFL coaching with next season's new coaching staff.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:56 pm
Dusty wrote:
Jags took an ill advised gamble and lost. They should have known that there are several teams in need of QB depth. OTOH, Rourke gets to learn another NFL Offense and experience another QB room. And if Belicheck departs at the end of the season, as is rumoured, then Rourke gets further exposure to NFL coaching with next season's new coaching staff.
Sometimes timing sucks.

Rourke was waived on Dec 16 and claimed on Dec 18. The Jags waived him to make room for the return from injury of their primary kick returner WR Jamal Agnew. Several things changed between when he was waived and claimed. Having lost Herbert for the season, the Chargers raided Will Greir from the Pats. Then, the day after Rourke was waived Houston lost CJ Stroud to a concussion and knew he wouldn't be available the following week.

At the time Rourke was waived New England and Houston were both good with 3 healthy QBs. Before the deadline for claiming Rourke passed both needed a 3rd QB. Had the Chargers procrastinated even a day grabbing Greir NE doesn't put in the waiver claim and Rourke is a Texan. And if Houston doesn't get a quick prognosis on Stroud maybe Rourke is dressing as Beathard's backup this weekend. Such is how things can work in pro sports.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:30 pm
DanoT wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Sometimes timing sucks.

Rourke was waived on Dec 16 and claimed on Dec 18. The Jags waived him to make room for the return from injury of their primary kick returner WR Jamal Agnew. Several things changed between when he was waived and claimed. Having lost Herbert for the season, the Chargers raided Will Greir from the Pats. Then, the day after Rourke was waived Houston lost CJ Stroud to a concussion and knew he wouldn't be available the following week.

At the time Rourke was waived New England and Houston were both good with 3 healthy QBs. Before the deadline for claiming Rourke passed both needed a 3rd QB. Had the Chargers procrastinated even a day grabbing Greir NE doesn't put in the waiver claim and Rourke is a Texan. And if Houston doesn't get a quick prognosis on Stroud maybe Rourke is dressing as Beathard's backup this weekend. Such is how things can work in pro sports.

Yeah, it's a game of inches even off the field.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:41 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:30 pm
DanoT wrote:

Sometimes timing sucks.

Yeah, it's a game of inches even off the field.
Everybody up this way wants nothing but the best to happen for Nathan. What many fail to recognize is that the Jacksonville Jags are in a tight battle to make the playoffs. They need to manage their roster to put them in the best position to win one week at a time. For any NFL team burning a spot on the 53 to stash a 3rd string QB they may never need until next year is not good roster management. They know they can always find another 3rd QB whenever they need one. It's a much higher priority to populate that 5 man buffer with a mix of other positions they may need to draw upon when they finalize their game roster because those guys will be getting reps in the upcoming game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Cardinals did NE a huge favour today upsetting the Eagles. With that NE is sitting in the #2 draft slot. Panthers loss guarantees the Bears the 1st overall spot. Subject to change next week of course. Cards host Seahawks, Pats host Jets and Commanders host Cowboys.

EDIT: Correction

Washington moved into the #2 spot due to tie-breaker which is strength of schedule which amongst the 3 currently tied at 4-12 gives them the better draft slot. Pats slide to #3.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Rourke is dressed as Zappe's backup today with Mac Jones being demoted to the emergency 3rd string spot. If NE does give him any reps in the second half they will be in awful snowy, windy conditions.

EDIT: he would not take a snap.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While following Hambone's link to the Winnipeg Sun article on the Bombers move to promote Jordan Younger to DC I saw this story:
Former Blue Bombers QB Chris Streveler: 'Don't make the NFL bigger than it is':
Author of the article:Paul Friesen
Published Dec 21, 2023 • Last updated Dec 22, 2023 • 4 minute read
“Awesome for him (Rourke),” Streveler said via text. “Hopefully he gets an opportunity to play! Those opportunities are hard to come by for us undrafted guys.”
In a subsequent phone call from his newly-purchased home in Scottsdale, Ariz., Streveler took some time out from doing renovations to expand on the challenge facing players like Rourke and Oliveira, the Bombers running back who wants to take a shot down south this winter.
“When you’re an undrafted guy, they’re not as invested in you. You draft somebody, you give them some guaranteed money, you spend a draft pick on them, there’s an investment there. When you’re undrafted, there’s not as much skin in the game. So it’s harder to get your foot in the door. With a guy like Rourke, he’s obviously done that.”
https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football ... than-it-is
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Two part JJ Adams interviews with Nathan Rourke in The Province.

Two things stood out for me:
  • Nathan Rourke thought he was competing on a level field for back up QB with Jags
    His phrasing of he heard that Lawrence and Beathard were close sounds like he has no first hand knowledge.
Burris credited with pushing Rourke's name forward a lot.
Not sure how that works as they didn't keep Burris there.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I think Burris was with the Jags throughout the process of working Rourke out to signing him and for a period of time after. It wasn't until 2 or 3 weeks after Rourke was signed that Jacksonville announced Hank wouldn't be part of their 2023 staff.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:31 am
I think Burris was with the Jags throughout the process of working Rourke out to signing him and for a period of time after. It wasn't until 2 or 3 weeks after Rourke was signed that Jacksonville announced Hank wouldn't be part of their 2023 staff.
Rourke is now stuck in a bad situation in NE unless somehow he impressed that new HC in practice but notwithstanding that the GM will draft a QB who will get the elevator to the starter role all and others have to use a ladder that won't reach to the top floor.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... han-rourke
“You kind of think back to that week when I made the decision to come to Jacksonville,” he said. “I think about whether or not I would have taken the chance to come here if I would have known that I was going to have to wait a year or more. I don’t know. I don’t know what I would have done.”
This article was by JJ Adams on Jan 24.. 2024 but they kind of sound older quotes.
If not older, some of Rourke's wording sounds like he was a bit distant from the top QBs. Talking to players who played there and in the CFL and they say things like it's more fun here but less money and how it's structured like a corporation there and you don't know everybody. When Rourke was told he had been picked off waivers, it reads like he didn't know the name of the club person who told him to call his agent.

These are both lengthy detailed articles that you can see for free if you don't read a bunch of other stuff first. Lot's of details of his life there and tons of quotes.
“So I think it makes a lot of sense from an organizational standpoint. From what I’ve heard, (Lawrence and Beathard) get along really well. C.J.’s a vet, he’s a very good quarterback, been a starter in a league, got a lot of valuable knowledge. I think that the organization’s priority is to set up Trevor for success.

“One of the things I heard is that they wanted to keep the quarterback room as similar as possible in terms of the coaches. They wanted to make sure that coach Mike (McCoy) and coach Andrew (Breiner) were there in the next year, that was a big priority for them, because they wanted to make sure that Trevor was comfortable growing with the unit.

Part two: https://theprovince.com/sports/nathan-r ... nfl-to-not

Much of the time when fans in forums talk it's not fully informed by any knowledge, however every I read from fans and pundits in the NFL about the JAGS QB situation was crystal clear on two things with their QBs:

1. Trevor Lawrence is their franchise QB they want long term in the mold of a Tom Brady for wins and tenure!
2. CJ Beathard was never not going to the back up period!

When you're not drafted in the NFL, the chances of a walk on getting a level field to compete on seems wishful thinking.
A Chris Streveler it seems can put up with all that uncertainty seemingly as he's built that way and now he's in the pension zone (not sure of it's value though for his tenure) there. I'm not sure if a Nathan Rourke or his brother coming along next are built for this path. I feel for this guy as he's a brilliant talent and has skill, health and years ahead to play and with the murky situation in NE, he doesn't even know if he's wanted there.
“It’s all good. It’s a sob story now, but I’ll get over it. I’m still trying to process it,” he said then. “I’m pretty frustrated by that, because I don’t feel like I ever got the opportunity that I was promised when I signed. I don’t feel like that was ever up for discussion. It’s a tough pill to swallow.
Burris should have stuck with the Lions maybe as maybe it could lead to a CFL gig somewhere to get a foot in the door:
Henry Burris — a former consultant with the B.C. Lions — was part of the coaching staff.
I would sure like to see these vet QBs and other players coaching in the CFL- especially those who want to live and work in Canada (and were/are) be coaching here. Burris like Damon Allen who is never hired but would like to be just seem to be outsiders and it makes no sense.

Why would you not want your QBs coached by HOFers there for their play like these two:
Burris started 229 games and completed a record of 118-108-3 in the CFL. He retired with 63,639 passing yards, which ranked third in CFL history, threw 373 touchdown passes with 227 interceptions and a passer efficiency rating of 93.6.
When he retired in 2008, Damon was professional football's All Time Passing Leader with 72,381 yards and held the CFL record for All-Time Rushing Yards by a Quarterback with 11,914 yards. He also held the CFL record for Most Pass Attempts (9,138), Most Pass Completions (5,158), and Most Touchdown Passes (394).
You don't need to be in the HOF or best at your position to be a great coach but the CFL needs more ex-CFLers getting coaching shots in the league.