CFL Coaching & GM Changes for 2024

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

don corleone
Starter

Fairly big move by the Bombers to promote Jordan Younger to Defensive Co-Ordinator and move Richie Hall to a position that my guess will be outside of the Football Ops cap. Maybe they list him as a consultant and could be they thought Toronto would be interested in Younger to replace Mace.

Also quite a bit of talk about the defensive play call on the game winning td by Tyson Philpot for the Als in the Grey Cup. Personally I would be very surprised if Richie Hall made that call on his own.

Possible Ottawa might have interest given the relationship with Bob Dyce if he was looking to move on. Th
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bombers made Jordan Younger their DC and demoted Richie Hall.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/08/if-y ... -winnipeg/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is shaping up as a year of change in Bomberland, with new defensive and special teams coordinators, and Mike O’Shea hinting that they’ll likely lose some high-priced veteran players. The Bombers were lucky not to lose Buck Pierce as OC, but he may have fewer weapons at his disposal.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One shouldn't assume giving somebody the title of consultant avoids the FOPs cap. Remember that Benevides was hired as Special Teams Consultant to replace STC Yanowsky when he had to go on leave of absence. I think the only reason they used the term Consultant was because at least in the interim there was possibility Yanowsky might return at some point. Basically Yanowsky's salary was replaced by that of Benevides. Many of the "consultants" we've seen hired have been at some point after the season started meaning 6 month or less in cash layout and to teams who still have a coaching spot available.

In the case of Winnipeg I think Hall could be demoted into the DBC vacancy that now exists with Younger's promotion or at least take over those responsibilities but with additional responsibilities that will make for a different title and perhaps a smaller salary haircut than if he was DBC only. Winnipeg operated 1 coach under the FOPs limit of 11 last year. With the changes they are making this year they will still be 1 coach under the limit and that's including Hall remaining under a coaching capacity.

Regardless it appears that the changes with Younger and Hall have been things O'Shea has been contemplating for a couple years now and discussed with Hall over that period.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football ... eams-coach
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:27 am
One shouldn't assume giving somebody the title of consultant avoids the FOPs cap. Remember that Benevides was hired as Special Teams Consultant to replace STC Yanowsky when he had to go on leave of absence. I think the only reason they used the term Consultant was because at least in the interim there was possibility Yanowsky might return at some point. Basically Yanowsky's salary was replaced by that of Benevides. Many of the "consultants" we've seen hired have been at some point after the season started meaning 6 month or less in cash layout and to teams who still have a coaching spot available.

In the case of Winnipeg I think Hall could be demoted into the DBC vacancy that now exists with Younger's promotion or at least take over those responsibilities but with additional responsibilities that will make for a different title and perhaps a smaller salary haircut than if he was DBC only. Winnipeg operated 1 coach under the FOPs limit of 11 last year. With the changes they are making this year they will still be 1 coach under the limit and that's including Hall remaining under a coaching capacity.

Regardless it appears that the changes with Younger and Hall have been things O'Shea has been contemplating for a couple years now and discussed with Hall over that period.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football ... eams-coach

Reading the article puts the Richie Hall and the Mike Miller to ST coach moves in a broader, clearer concept given it's the words of HC Mike O'Shea that are filling in the blanks. O'Shea is wanting continuity in the coaching ranks rather and is looking at the long haul for the Bombers it seems.

This role can work as O'Shea says he's been doing this for years now. Why wouldn't an OC want to hear from a successful former DC as to what this week's opponent is likely to be calling offensively. Why wouldn't the DC want to have to Richie Hall assessing what this week's opponent is likely to call offensively? It makes a ton of sense if this is what he's doing among other things.
“His (Richie Hall) role? I don’t know what the title will be, but his role will be the same as part of it has been in all the years he’s been with us, and that’s to mentor the entire team — the coaching staff, offence, defence, special teams guys.”
In the back of my mind though is that residual from the Grey Cup where Hall put his team in Cover 0 on the play that Tyson Phillip scored the winning TD.

Ben Grant in his 3 Down Article still saw that as the right call but most see it that even if they sacked Fajardo for a 8 or 10 yard or more yard loss with the ball at the Bombers 19 yd line they could still kick a FG to win so the best defence in my mind is to pressure but prevent that a TD on that play.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I know it's still early off season but the Argos haven't replaced Cory Mace as DC and Mace as HC and OC is not keeping Jason Shivers I presume.
If I were Jeremy O'Day I'd be very concerned with a rookie HC doing both roles. Not heard Mace speak to what his approach will be and this is not dissimilar to DeVone Claybrooks when he was hired as a DC to be HC of the Lions. He just didn't fit the HC role and his GM Ed Hervey didn't help in providing guidance.

The model for HC and other roles isn't always the best when things go awry. Rick Campbell as Co-GM and HC has McEvoy taking care of business allowing him to fully focus on his role as HC - something he does well. He's a tone setter at practices and can fully focus on what his eyes see and ears hear! In game, he has the coaches doing their jobs and he can do his with a clear mind - make the big calls. Wally was never a great in game football tactician and strategist as for years maybe being the GM and HC gives you more than enough to fully take up your bandwidth. Granted here he had McEvoy but he was more involved with ownership than say most HCs would need to be. The only other teams in the CFL with this sort of HC stability excluding Ottawa as it's been unstable at QB and coaching seems to be Winnipeg with Mike O'Shea and Montreal Alouettes and the new version of Jason Maas if the latter stays the course.

I think Danny Macioca learned something in his years away from the CFL and while I questioned his hiring of HC Jason Maas, he hired him only as HC and AC is the OC. That and the expectations from the GM as to how he should lead along with good DC and other coaches and talent and pick ups helped that team to a Grey Cup win.

Dave Dickenson is struggling as GM, HC and off and on play caller. It's real fuzzy with Dave and maybe he has too much and too little trust and delegation in his staff. He took back play calling and didn't get a different result it seems.

Chris Jones is not excelling either with the Elks.

Ryan Dinwiddie is HC and OC and had a brilliant season at 16 and 2. However he's now finally admitting that the Argos finally third of the year saw no improvement with his team and they lost the east final to a team that was doing the proverbially peaking at the right time. Dinwiddie was good at ignoring his QB when he got angry at calls but there were issues at times when it seemed as if this HC had too much going on despite their success. He worked his butt off during the off season with Chad Kelly but what happened in the East Final and down the stretch backfired on them and they were not prepared for Montreal nor did the HC help in that game.

The absence of Argos QB coach Mike Miller due to illness was not good for Chad Kelly who looked lost and who used to have Miller on the bench beside after every offensive series. The passing coordinator Pete Costanza all of a sudden was doing the QB coach job due to illness.

Argo fans had only speculation until this interview post GC with Chad Kelly:

https://www.argofans.com/showthread.php ... ike-Miller

The problems didn’t start on Saturday for Kelly. They started weeks ago, when the Argos quarterbacks coach Mike Miller left the team due to personal illness. It wasn’t a big story at the time because Argos news just isn’t a big story very often any longer.

Kelly was close with Miller. The two seemed to understand each other, worked so well together in the first half of the season.

When Kelly came off the field after throwing an early interception for a touchdown, the voice he needed to hear was Miller’s. Instead, nothing. No one to listen to or be told what to do from.

He threw four interceptions and the Alouettes didn’t blitz once in the game. That by itself is so improbable.

“I threw four interceptions and was never sacked,” he said, wondering if that had ever happened before.
https://torontosun.com/sports/football/ ... east-final

Three down story on Argos rehiring coaches for 2024 on the offensive side:
In two seasons in Toronto, Miller has coached 2022 passing yardage leader McLeod Bethel-Thompson and 2023 Most Outstanding Player Chad Kelly. The veteran quarterback guru has had stints with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Buffalo Bills, and Arizona Cardinals, while also serving as offensive coordinator for the Montreal Alouettes in 2013. He was absent from the team during the final eight weeks of the 2023 season due to personal issues.
https://3downnation.com/2023/11/23/argo ... -costanza/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

A lot of scuttlebutt has Shivers all but signed, sealed and delivered to the Elks. Maybe Jones has finally determined that if he wants to be the best GM and HC he can be he needs to discard the DC hat.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:34 pm
A lot of scuttlebutt has Shivers all but signed, sealed and delivered to the Elks. Maybe Jones has finally determined that if he wants to be the best GM and HC he can be he needs to discard the DC hat.
I didn't think Jason Shivers was the problem in Sask and I want to see more ex-CFL players coach in the CFL.

Brandon Banks on Twitter the other day is saying no one will hire him after all he did in the CFL.

Dane Evans is hired as a HS QB coach by his old univer coach.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:57 am
Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:34 pm
I didn't think Jason Shivers was the problem in Sask and I want to see more ex-CFL players coach in the CFL.

Brandon Banks on Twitter the other day is saying no one will hire him after all he did in the CFL.

Dane Evans is hired as a HS QB coach by his old univer coach.
I think we all like seeing ex-players get opportunities to stay in the game after their careers are over. Banks may want to lament no opportunities but the simple fact is there's far more players retiring every year than entry-level coaching v
acancies. Look at BC and Winnipeg. Between the two there was only 1 coach new to the staff hired. I think Montreal has their full staff returning.

Speedi-B might want to do himself a favour and see if he can find an opportunity in USports, NCAA or even HS football to start building a coaching resume.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:27 pm
Speedi-B might want to do himself a favour and see if he can find an opportunity in USports, NCAA or even HS football to start building a coaching resume.
Agreed. Whining publicly about not getting a CFL coaching job just guarantees that he will not get a CFL coaching job.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

New Saskatchewan head coach and B.C. native Corey Mace has filled out his staff with a lot of young ex-players, including former B.C. and Calgary DB Josh Bell as pass game coordinator and DB coach, Surrey native and onetime Lion Jordan Linnen as defensive assistant, former Edmonton linebacker J.C Sherritt as linebackers coach and run game coordinator, former Stampeder Marquay McDaniel as receivers coach, and CFL and NFL lineman Edwin Harrison as offensive line coach. It’s a young staff under a new head coach, which proved to be a bad combination for former B.C. head coach DeVone Claybrooks, who served as an assistant coach with Mace in Calgary before being hired by the Lions for the 2019 season.

https://www.riderville.com/2024/01/15/r ... ing-staff/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I think the difference between the Riders young staff and that of Claybrooks is Mace has hired experienced youth while Claybrooks had 3 or 4 guys new to coaching.

Bell and McDaniel have been coaching going back to 2018 and Sherritt started in 2019. Harrison is a relative newcomer getting his CFL start with the Argos in 2022. Linnen has come up thru the ranks starting with Langley Rams in 2016. He was on Chris Jones' staff in Edmonton the past 2 seasons.

Claybrooks had Phillips, Lewis and Stokes with no previous coaching experience to speak of while Tate spent 1 year as a defensive analyst with Coastal Carolina before BC hired him.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Notice the combos of OFF and DEF in titles.
I've thought about this myself at times.
...Josh Bell as pass game coordinator and DB coach ...
former Edmonton linebacker J.C Sherritt as linebackers coach and run game coordinator,
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Jason Shivers is DC with the Elks which should be interesting as Chris Jones is an expert DC himself.
Actually, I think it's a good fit for both of them as Chris Jones when he and Scott Milanovich roomed together years ago with the Argos were renowned for working closely together plotting DEF and OFF tacticsetc.

Sure took a long time to make that happen as the rumours on 3 down and TSN have long said that was likely.

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/18/offi ... ing-staff/

Burnab's Calvin McLarty RB coach with the Ticats.

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/19/hami ... cks-coach/

Toronto is DC by Committee for 2024:

Kevin Eiben and William Fields to act as co-defensive coordinators for the 2024 season. They've lost/losing some top DEF players as well as on offense. Strange in some ways but the season ended shockingly and badly.
Returning to Toronto's defensive staff from 2023 is respected longtime Argonaut Eiben (linebackers) and one of the league's top assistants in Fields (defensive backs). Former Toronto player and CFL lifer Demetrious "D-Max" Maxie will join the two returnees as defensive line coach, returning to the organization for which he starred.
https://www.si.com/cfl/fannation/news/t ... ch-in-2024
don corleone
Starter

Nice move by the Ti-Cats to add McCarty imo. He'll know John Tuck from his playing days with Ante Litre on the roster as well. I could see McCarty progressing and someday maybe being a head coach. It's what the CFL needs imo.

Cats are starting to look like an Ed Hervey team with more to come being my guess. It's not impossible that Hamilton comes out of the East. Scott Milanovich mentioning for the second time this off season is expecting a strong year from Bo Levi.