Leos/Stamps Post Game Thoughts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our B.C. Lions are playing in the West Final in Winnipeg next weekend with a well-deserved resounding victory over the Calgary Stampeders. Our B.C. squad outplayed the Stamps on offence and defense. The zebras had only called one penalty against Calgary until near the end of the game, preventing Dickenson’s usual in-game temper tantrum and meltdown.

The Stamps had no excuses as our Leos destroyed Calgary’s game plan of running the football and dropping nine into coverage on defense. By getting the lead back in the first quarter and eventually getting Calgary to pass the football more, we turned the game into mostly a passing contest and that was to our advantage.

Here are some post game thoughts. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this playoff contest.

FOR BETTER

THE GREAT VERNON ADAMS

Before this playoff game, a big question was whether we would see the good Vernon Adams or the bad Vernon Adams. In this contest we saw the great Vernon Adams and except for the opening drive of the second half, Adams played great all game. The Stamps lined up with four or five on the line and then only rushed three to begin the game. It was a strategy that had worked well in the last contest, but Adams was unfazed.

He was decisive and took what was there, cutting up the Stamps defense like he was carving an apple. Before the game, I posted that Adams needed to stop dancing in the pocket like Travolta in Saturday Night Fever and instead step up into the gap on either side of the nose tackle and that is exactly what he did. Adams not only threw bullets, but his running was also a key to our offence. Adams ran fast and hard and with passion and made some key plays with his legs. He even picked up a first down on a 1st and 20, after the zebras had called a phantom holding call on us.

It was an exceptional performance. Adams was 28-of-39 passes for 413 yards ran seven times for 54 yards, passed for two touchdowns, and ran for three more. There was a time in the off-season when it seemed that Nathan Rourke would not ever be adequately replaced. Rourke threw for 331 yards in last year’s semi-final against Calgary. But Big Play V.A. showed yesterday he has an incredible arm too and can win when it matters most.

How good was Adams in this game? The last time a CFL QB reached 400 yards in the playoffs came back in 2017, when Trevor Harris did so for the Ottawa Redblacks.

Our Leos finally made a needed adjustment and used Adams on short yardage plays rather than Davis. It was a necessary move for this year’s playoffs and hopefully will be addressed in the off-season.

PLAY OF THE GAME

The Stamps came out firing deep throws and two pass coverage breakdowns in coverage early led to a quick Calgary touchdown. How two B.C. defenders could both choose to cover Markel while leaving Beggleton completely free to begin a game is beyond me. Down 7-0, when we fumbled, giving Calgary great field position, it was more than concerning. When Calgary began marching again, it appeared that the best outcome would be a field goal and a 10-0 deficit but a 14-0 deficit also loomed.

Gary Peters interception was a momentum changer. We drove the field for a touchdown, held Calgary and scored again. We had momentum and never looked back.

THE SHARPEST KNIFE CUTS DEEPEST

Our Leos receiving corps is made up of some very sharp knives that can dissect a defense. Rhymes is a silky smooth, tall receiver with excellent hands. Alexander Hollins runs great routes. Jevon Cottoy is a tall target whose hands are like powerful vacuum cleaners for any football thrown in his area and he is a tough runner after making a catch. MacInnis is another big target who can make the 50/50 catch at opportune times.

But when he is on, Kevin Hatcher is the sharpest knife in the set and yesterday he showed it. Hatcher did not play in the last contest against Calgary. Yesterday, Hatcher showed how much of a difference maker he is. Hatcher was almost a one man show. He caught 9 passes for an amazing in nine 195 yards and a touchdown. With Hatcher exploiting every possible open seam in Calgary’s zone defense and Cottoy operating as a key weapon underneath, the Lions passing attack flourished. Rhymes only had two catches Hollins had some drops, and Whitehead never saw the field.

But it didn’t matter. Hatcher and Cottoy’s receptions, along with with Adams timely and impressive runs as well as his five dump offs to Mizzell for over 50 yards ensured the Stamps defense was eaten up and spit out. Dickenson tried to adjust in game to our passing attack but had no answer to our Leos well-designed and well executed passing attack.

WOW, NOW THAT IS LINEBACKER PLAY

When Ben Hladk was injured on Gary Peter’s first quarter interception, it forced Ryan Phillips to move Woods into the middle linebacker position, insert Lokombo into the weakside linebacker spot, and rotate in Varga. After Calgary scored early, they were 0-for-2 in the red zone, had an average drive length of 21 yards — with none longer than 51 — as they could only manage five field Rene Parades goals until Begelton scored with less than two minutes remaining.

The Stampeders were 6-16 on second down conversions at one point until deep into the fourth quarter. There were a lot of reasons for that mostly sound defensive performance but top of that list was the play of Josh Woods at middle linebacker. He was all over the field. His run defense and pass defence were both amazing as was his pursuit to the football, his ability read a play, and his impressive tackling.

Hladk will be available for the Bombers. The question is “Will our Leos go back to Hladk in the middle, with Woods outside, as they started this contest or will they switch things up. Its an intriguing question based on Woods play at middle linebacker in this contest.

FOR WORSE

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING

After giving up a quick touchdown, Peters interception., a quick stop by our defense, and two impressive Leo offensive drives for touchdowns had us up 14-7, momentum on our side, and the crowd totally into the game. Our defense forced a Calgary punt and what do we do? We take a roughing the punter penalty, give Calgary the football back, they kick a field goal, and are back into the game. The play could have turned into a much more critical play if the contest had remained close. Benevedes is our special teams coach who should have his players having much more situational awareness.

THE SMOKE IS BACK BUT…

Leos fans were told that Tuquan (Where This is Smoke There is No Fire) Mizzell was healthy, had been nicked up for weeks, and was roaring to go. Well spare me the anticipation and excitement. Mizzell carried the football 11 times for 28 yards. Take away his one 8 yard run, and he averaged less than 2 yards per carry. Our offensive line ranked 6th in run blocking but Calgary’s defense ranked 6th against the run. Surely, with the Stamps desperately in pass rush mode on every play, with a 3 man front for a good chunk of the game. Mizzell should be able to find a hole. That is the main task of a tailback when an offensive line zone blocks the inside zone read or the stretch play.

But nope, he has an amazing knack of running straight into a tackler. Even in the open field. Mizzell has an amazing ability to make a sharp cut into and not away from a tackler. Mizzell was more decisive on screens and dump offs in this game but still, in open field, he chops his feet after a reception, with no one around. He is not a pro calibre running back..that is a simple and easy observation to make.

We tried everything - direct snap to Mizzell, the option play with Adams pitching to Mizzell and yet a big nothing was the result.

INEXCUSABLE

Our defense came into this contest knowing only one Calgary receiver finished in the CFL Top 20 – Reggie Beggleton. With the crowd and the Leos team amped after Joshua Archibald;s hit on the opening kickoff, what do T..J. Lee and Rugamba do but both cover Markel while leaving Beggleton free downfield for a 43 yard strike. Inexcusable.

The play, which led to a quick Calgary opening touchdown, trigged all my bad memories of our Leos coming out flat in too many home playoff games in the Buono and Benevedes era. Thankfully the game turned around quickly in our favor. Still, we did not double cover Beggleton in this contest as we should have. Beggleton was Calgary's main threat in the contest and we did not make that as difficult a Calgary option as we should have.

JUST PUNT THE DANG BALL

Stefan Flintoff punted three times for 90 yards – a 30 yard punt average in a playoff game with two bad shanks. That is not playoff punting. It needs to get fixed before we play on the frozen tundra in Winnipeg.

PREDATORY BEHAVIOR

You are only as good as your weakest link is an important notion in team sport. Predators are skilled at picking out the slowest or the weakest member of the herd. Good offensive coordinators are predators and in this contest, they quickly picked out our weak spot in pass defence – Mike Jones and went after him as often as possible.

PERGATORY

We got our short yardage game fixed for the West Semi-Final. We really need to fix these things this week before playing Winnipeg

1. Running game. When an offence is trying to run out the clock and they are passing, knowing how futile it is to give the football to their starting tailback, a serious adjustment must be made. Why not insert Mackie into the game for this situation? Why not insert him into the tailback spot during the game in a rotational role. What do you have to lose with Mizzell gaining less than 2 yards on almost every carry.

Stupid is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. We have enough of a body of work from Mizzell on inside zone reads, outside zone reads, counters, draws, quick pitches, direct snaps, option plays to figure out he is not going to get it done.

2. Cornerback. The Bombers are already looking at tape. They are already licking their lips and preparing to exploit either Mike Jones or Bagayoko. Jones looked slow and overwhelmed. We have no one on the practice roster who can step in. It’s a dilemma with no easy answer.

WRAP

While there are things to work on and improve, our Leos offence was dynamic and our Lions defense showed much improvement against the run . However, to beat the Bombers we will need all three units to play their best football of the season.

We have a chance to play in the Grey Cup game. We only need one win. Its CFL playoff football in November. It doesn’t get more exciting. :towel:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Great summary as usual Blitz.

I was at the game last night and late night and this morning looked over the game and pre-game TSN panel stuff so some of my comments are from what I saw.
I was unsure if we'd be beaten like a drum or play great. I expected nothing in between such as a game in OT.

Vernon Adams:

I didn't recall he had not started a playoff since 2019 in Montreal IIRC the year right. That didn't go well but this is not that QB now.

JJ Adams in The Province:
The Lions pivot was the top red-zone passer this season, and now has 22 touchdowns to zero interceptions, as B.C. converted on five of seven trips inside the 20. And with his three self-scored TDs, Adams tied a franchise playoff record shared by Mervyn Fernandez, Tony Cherry, Jon Volpe and Darren Flutie.
https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... amps-apart

Short Yardage:

I was happy to not have Davis but less thrilled that VA did it just for injury sake.

Didn't like how he had to run short yardage in fear of injury but I'm assuming they don't want Dane Evans on that.
But the success VA had seemed to keep him on fire.

Hatcher:

Davis Sanchez said he's the BC tone setter something he must have heard from players in a feature of him with Stegall.

Begelton for 43 yards:

Pre-game TSN showed the same play that opened for 43 yards that was tried and failed to Begelton the prior Calg game so it was not a surprising play the DEF screwed up.

Mizzell:

From my vantage point in the end zone, on two occasions were Mizzell was heading away from us, he was shifting around and simply not heading right into the gaps that were ahead of him. Didn't Kienan LaFrance carry the ball at times for the Riders? Bring a guy in or something. It's not hard to learn BC run plays.

There was one run play that seemed new that seemed a variation on a play Montreal ran in its last game.
Vernon Adams Jr. gets out of his head, plays out of his mind: 11 thoughts on the B.C. Lions’ victory in the West Semi-Final
By JC Abbott -November 5, 2023
An insight into why BC doesn't worry about a run game in the HC's comments?
“It is annoying, just hearing, ‘You guys can’t stop the run.’ And then we do it and it’s nothing,” Josh Woods admitted.

For all his spectacular plays, Woods misses the point with those comments, though his head coach vocally grasped it at the podium. In a passing league, it is almost impossible to run your way to victory if you have not already established a lead. There is no doubt in my mind that Carey could have easily crossed the century mark in this game but he wouldn’t have added enough points to win.
SCARY MOMENT

Not sure how Peyton Logan is but let's hope he and Jack Hinsperger are both Okay.
It was clear immediately that Hinsperger had been knocked unconscious by the blow and he lay face-down on the turf, completely motionless. Both men were down on the field for a painfully long time and the teams cleared their benches to take a knee around their fallen teammates. Logan was helped to the locker room first, followed later by Hinsperger — who waved off the spinal board and ambulance.

Campbell informed the media that Hinsperger had been deemed “medically safe” by the doctors and would only need treatment for a concussion.
https://3downnation.com/2023/11/05/vern ... emi-final/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

LaFrance did carry the ball a bit for the Riders but not much since his first stint there in 2017. He had a career high 68 carries in 2017. He followed that up with 38 carries in his return to Winnipeg in 2018. He only had 18 carries over his last 3 years as a Rider (2019-22). If I recall most of those were as an in-game injury replacement for William Powell or Jamal Morrow.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Mizzell should audition for the Lions dance team, the way he dances and then get smoked by the opposition. Painful to watch. Can't see him returning for next season.

Good to see the defence finally paying attention to the running back leaking into the flats. Oppositions have been doing that all season and until yesterday can't defend it.
almo89
Legend

It's too late to have a running game now. That's a problem that needs to be addressed next season. VA will need to use his legs more and use Smoke on his check downs and passes to the flats to replace the running game. We already know Smoke, Hardy or whoever they put in at running back, won't be able to get it done on the ground. The Lions will be as good as VA will take them. I loved seeing VA taking all the sneaks. There's always a chance for injury, but I always liked that it keeps the opposing defense honest with VA you always have to gameplan for him maybe throwing the ball on those short yardage situations. I don't wanna see Davis take another snap. The most impressive thing I saw from VA was instead of sitting in the pocket and taking sacks as some of those long developing plays are happening, he would just tuck the ball and run. We need more of that next week as we've seen what Winnipeg's defense can do if they know all you are going to do is pass the ball.

Woods looks great coming in replacing Hladik. It will be an interesting decision to see what they'll do next week as Hladik should be ready to go.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

At this early stage of the week of preparation I'm not assuming Campbell's comment re: Hladik of "should be available" as anything more than that. Some seem to be taking the glass half full, if not overflowing, and assuming he will be 100%. I won't go there until I see his name as starting on the depth chart. Having said that it was encouraging to see him on the bike down on the sidelines after spending some time in the tent. Unlike Adams when he hurt his knee earlier in the season Hladik could at least get both feet onto the pedals to take it for a cautious spin. Hard to guess if his knee felt a lot better today or stiffened up. If he's anything less than 100% they should start Woods at MAC.
David
Team Captain

Sorry, but I can't see Hladik playing. He emerged (in street clothes) from the locker room in the 2nd half with a noticeable limp. Very noticeable. One week is not enough to overcome that, even if it's just a contusion.

And anything less than full mobility is going to handicap our linebacking corps. I love Hladik but better to play Rugamba, Woods, and Lokombo/Varga. We're going to need all healthy hands on deck to stop Oliveira and Demski.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:30 pm
Sorry, but I can't see Hladik playing. He emerged (in street clothes) from the locker room in the 2nd half with a noticeable limp. Very noticeable. One week is not enough to overcome that, even if it's just a contusion.

And anything less than full mobility is going to handicap our linebacking corps. I love Hladik but better to play Rugamba, Woods, and Lokombo/Varga. We're going to need all healthy hands on deck to stop Oliveira and Demski.

DH :cool:
One thing that is of concern is injuries to NATs. Chances of Jack Hinsperger playing after that hellacious collision with Logan can't be good. Hinsperger has been playing well in special teams coverage. If both he and Hladik can't suit up that's 2 NAT LBs out with limited options on who to suit up. All they have on the PR is OL Tyler Packer and FB Dylan St.Pierre. Keinan Lafrance is on the 1G, presumably as a healthy scratch with Nathan Cherry and Daniel Petermann are on the 6G.

Brooks Parker who is the only defensive player on the PR could help with LB depth and maybe play teams but again there aren't many options to make a spot for him. Tuehema coming off suspension will likely push Marcus Moore back to the PR or 1G.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Another fantastic and highly entertaining read on Saturday's "VA Show" Blitz!

Will be very interesting to see what Lucky Whitehead's role will be in the Western Final. If you ever wonder how many casual Lions fans there are just check out social media for all the comments wondering why Lucky didn't play on Saturday and was he injured.

If they are going to start McInnis again — targeted two times Saturday and caught both but strip fumbled the second — then hard to justify dressing Lucky again and never seeing the field if they can use his spot for Marcus Moore for D-Line depth with the return of Teuhema. Terry Williams is essentially a back-up American receiver as well.

Maybe they feel Lucky's speed is more valuable in the match-up against his former team. One of the first plays in the Oct. 6 game was a deep throw to him that he probably should have caught.

Wondering if Edwards-Cooper has any chance of returning for the Western Final to replace Jones. We should know more tomorrow after their first full practice.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:52 am
Will be very interesting to see what Lucky Whitehead's role will be in the Western Final. If you ever wonder how many casual Lions fans there are just check out social media for all the comments wondering why Lucky didn't play on Saturday and was he injured.

If they are going to start McInnis again — targeted two times Saturday and caught both but strip fumbled the second — then hard to justify dressing Lucky again and never seeing the field if they can use his spot for Marcus Moore for D-Line depth with the return of Teuhema. Terry Williams is essentially a back-up American receiver as well.
I too was wondering if Lucky is not 100%. One would think if he was expecting to rotate in at times he'd be standing there with helmet on ready to go in while BC was in offense but that was never the case. Perhaps he was hurting but available for use if one of the receivers or Williams went down.

I'm doubtful Moore would also suit up with Tuehema returning as that would mean 9 DL + ST stud & DE Josh Archibald for 10 DL.
Blitz
Team Captain

I was very pleased to see our Leos win the Semi-Final in convincing fashion, to watch our Leos offence dissect Calgary's defense with our passing attack, to see Vernon Adams not only only throw bullets but look so decisive, as well as demonstrate pocket presence and use his legs to become a double threat. It was affirming to see our defense to play well over long stretches in this contest, led by Woods impressive performance when inserted into the middle linebacker spot.

KUDOS TO COACHES

It was also gratifying to see some of the positive attributes of our coaching staff at work. For too many seasons, before Rich Campbell took over as Head Coach, our Leos team, most often, was not well prepared for playoff contests and most often we were badly outcoached.

The Semi-Final contest against Calgary also was a reflection of the excellent work of Jordan Maksymic in developing quarterbacks and also creating a very well-designed passing attack. Over the past two seasons, we have seen Maksymic show his ability to coach by developing a rookie quarterback in Justin Rourke into a star and changing a CFL journeyman quarterback Vernon Adams into a star. Under his watch, Keon Hatcher, Alexander Hollins, and Jovan Cottoy have all emerged as very high calibre receivers while Justin McInnis has really stepped up his game since his change of scenery to B.C this season.

Another reflection of the positive impact of our Leos coaching staff this season is Mathieu Betts. Signed as a free agent in the off-season, Betts had only one season in which he had made an impact with 7 sacks. Betts was the CFL best pass rusher this season, running away with the honor with 18 sacks. John Bowman has played a huge role in Betts development into a record breaking defensive star this past season.

We may not always be happy with our coaching staff but there have been lots of positives and I have endured much worse. I remember well the 48-8 brutal loss to the Tiger Cats in the East Semi-Final a few years back now, with the knowledge, going in, that we would be ill prepared. Win or lose to the Bombers, I know we will have a game plan that is more than just "We gotta execute", while reducing the playbook to something more simple than one utilized for a Pee Wee league contest and therefore very predictable.

CONTEXT IS IMPORTANT

Its also important to see our Semi-Final victory in context. The Stamps, under Dave Dickenson, rolled into B.C. Place onn Saturday with a 6-12 record, the worst CFL team to quality for the playoffs in 23 years. Its also important to recognize that too many Leos fans tend to be in awe of Dave Dickenson as a coach.

Dickenson began his Head Coaching career in Calgary with a 41-11-2 record. But he inherited a very talented team and was very much mentored by John Hufnagel for quite a long time. In the past four seasons, the Stamps have not even gotten to the Western Final, losing four straight West Semi-Final contests. Dickenson’s playoff game plans and game calls have often been questioned.

As Dickenson has assumed more control of the Stamps his penchant towards the spread offence, a system he developed as a quarterback in under Buono in both Calgary and B.C. has become more pronounced whereas Hufnagel, the original initiator of the Spread Offence in the CFL, had adapted from his 90’s CFL offensive coordinator days and become a more multi-formational and multi-dimensional offensive strategist while Head Coach of the Stamps.

We saw some of the worst aspects of the Dickenson Spread on Saturday, when too often when Calgary’s Meir quite often threw completions on second down that were short of necessary yardage. Maier's stats did not reflect his lack of effectiveness. It was a pattern B.C. Fans once saw far too often for too long in B.C. during our Buono Spread Offence days.

THE BOMBERS ARE A DIFFERENT KETTLE OF FISH

The Bombers are not the Stamps. They are a completely different kettle of fish. They are very balanced on both sides of the football. They can run and they can pass. They can run inside or outside. They can throw from the pocket and they can rollout They are deadly often with play action. Defensively they can play the run and the pass very well.

Still, we only lost the season series to the Bombers 2-1 with the deciding game being an overtime loss here in B.C place. However, our challenge is great for a number of reasons. Firstly, we are playing in the cold in Winnipeg, a place where the Bombers have been very, very tough to beat in recent years.

We go into the contest without a running attack. That means we have to be able to be outstanding with a one dimensional offence that almost completely relies on our passing attack. The Bomber rush is much more powerful than Calgary’s and their pass defense is more sound.

Nor will the Bombers do what Dickenson did in the Semi-Final and rush three and not get heat on Adams. They watched the Semi and they watched Adams surgically slice Calgary’s defense to shreds. Not going to happen in Winnigeg. Adams will see much more heat.

MOMENTUM

Momentum is so important in a playoff game Had Peters not intercepted the football in the first quarter and Calgary gone up 14-0 the complexion of the game might have been much different. What we cannot have, in Winnipeg is a a roughing the punter call, especially when momentum has swung in our favor, or a two shanks by our punter, giving the Bombers offence a short field to work with, or our defense allow the Bombers to have an uncovered receiver wide open deep on the first play of the contest. We cannot have those types of errors if we want to play in the BIG DANCE in this 2023 football season.

And while the odds may not be in our favor, we also need to prepare to be able to run the football should we get into the situation where we need to take time off the clock towards the end of a game. We passed last contest due to the complete ineptitude of our run game. Put Mackie in there and let him stick his head in there on the inside zone read on first down and run some time off the clock.

ITS ONLY.....BUT

But we are in the West Final and its exciting. The Stones sang “Its only rock and roll but I like it, I like it, I like it. “I’m singing its only CFL playoff football but I like it, I like it, I like it, yes I do!! :beauty:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Another fantastic and highly entertaining read on Saturday's "VA Show" Blitz!

If they are going to start McInnis again — targeted two times Saturday and caught both but strip fumbled the second — then hard to justify dressing Lucky again and never seeing the field if they can use his spot for Marcus Moore for D-Line depth with the return of Teuhema. Terry Williams is essentially a back-up American receiver as well.

Maybe they feel Lucky's speed is more valuable in the match-up against his former team. One of the first plays in the Oct. 6 game was a deep throw to him that he probably should have caught.

Wondering if Edwards-Cooper has any chance of returning for the Western Final to replace Jones. We should know more tomorrow after their first full practice.

Sammy Greene
Well we know that Lucky did not start because the Lions felt McInnis had earned the start. Lucky said he would not be a distraction and he wasn't. I thought he would be inserted into the game in a rotational role but that did not happen. Whether they did not use any offensive packages that involved putting Lucky into the game or whether they just decided things were going very well and did not want to take the chance of changing chemistry I have no idea.

Your notion of not dressing Lucky for more defensive line depth has merit but I have a sense they will likely dress Lucky and make changes elsewhere.

I would sure love to have Edwards Copper back..right now wide side corner is a concern.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I hadn't looked to see Lucky Whitehead on the sideline and not looking ready with his helmet. As suggested by others he might have been a bit banged up.
On the other thread, I thought it might just have been situational where they saw no reason to tinker with what was working even though McInnis lost a ball. I don't see these coaches benching a player for that.

The Blitz insights on Dave Dickenson aren't just his take.

Head Coach's with too much going on and jobs to do (DD is GM now) tend to get lost when things go south and that sure looks likes that is the case with Dave despite injuries etc.

Just in print now is this call for Dave D to give up as HC.
Opinion: Stampeders’ Dave Dickenson should step down as head coach, focus on GM duties
By Ryan Ballantine -November 6, 2023
Remember the 2018 season? The Calgary Stampeders were Grey Cup champions and Dave Dickenson had been to the final in all three seasons since taking over as head coach. At the time, he was the winningest coach in CFL history on a percentage basis.

Over those three years, the Stampeders were 41-11-2. Since then. they are 48-29 in four seasons and haven’t been to the West Final, losing four straight semi-final matchups — the last three as the road team following third-place finishes.
https://3downnation.com/2023/11/06/opin ... gm-duties/

Ryan Dinwiddie is not GM but he's his own OC and play caller. How that would affect him if things went south is unknown but you see his assistants coaching at the bench with QBs etc.
A new era began in Toronto on December 12, 2019 when Ryan Dinwiddie became the 45th head coach in Argonauts history.

In 2021, his first season with the Argos, Dinwiddie led the team to a 9-5 record and first place in the East Division. He would be recognized by being one of the finalists for the CFL Coach of the Year award.

He added the offensive coordinator role to his title in January 2022 and led the Argos to even greater heights. The team finished 11-7 in the regular season, defeated Montreal in the Eastern Final, then beat Winnipeg to win the 18th Grey Cup in franchise history.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I would like to see Lucky Whitehead inserted into the starting lineup and have McInnis as the 6th (backup) receiver. The big body, long arms, that McInnis brings is already provided by Cottoy at a very high level. Lucky's speed could be a bigger factor vs having two big bodied guys out there. And Mizzell getting screen and bubble screen passes along with Cottoy as a dump-off guy already provides a dangerous short pass game. Bring on Lucky's speed, even as a decoy that takes a defender deep and out of the play.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:15 am

We saw some of the worst aspects of the Dickenson Spread on Saturday, when too often when Calgary’s Meir quite often threw completions on second down that were short of necessary yardage. Maier's stats did not reflect his lack of effectiveness. It was a pattern B.C. Fans once saw far too often for too long in B.C. during our Buono Spread Offence days.
The stats for his ineffectiveness were kind of there within the stats. Maier did wind up with what sounds like a pretty good day with 304 yards and 2 TDs. However a closer look finds that 75 yards came in the first 2 minutes thanks to a blown coverage and poor coverage that the Lions quickly adjusted for. Another 76 yards came in what was effectively garbage time in the final 3 minutes. I think it came out to 8 for 10 (including the desparate hail mary interception with 12 seconds to go) for 151 yards and 2 TDs in those bookend snippets and 15 for 24 for 153 yards and 0 TDs in the 55 minutes in between.