Lions at Ticats Oct. 13, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:13 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:22 pm
The Lions have to tighten up on defence. They’ve gone soft and give up too many easy yards and first downs. They’ve allowed an average of over 30 points a game in the second half of the season.
Nearly a 1,000 yards in total offence combined in the last two games — never mind the time of possession. The only glimpse of their earlier season form was when they knew they had to swarm Tre Ford. Other than that it's plenty of soft coverage with Phillips determined not to give up any big plays after the blowout loss in Winnipeg.

Instead it's a steady dose of giving up six to 10 yards at the time and never getting off the field.
This defense hasn't recovered from losing Nathan Cherry for the season back in late August. Accordingly, we've finally given up and resorted to a Stubler bend but don't break method which rushes three and drops nine. That defense is suseptible to being dinked and dunked to death...outside of the 20s. Inside the 20s, in theory it tightens up and allows you the opportunity for coverage sacks.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I agree with Blitz that Mike Benefield has matured a lot and ST improvements are for real. Definitely a keeper there.
A little bit when the HC is speaking to the referee, it seems he's bit too far out on the field for an assistant but that is likely just his personality.
Ironically Jacques C. Mike Benefield and Mark Washington - all seemed to be a bit of posers. The TSN crew commented that Mark W wasn't wearing his white gloves and had new garb on in reference to standing out in one of the last few Ticat games.

I'd still like to see two kick returners out there. There were two brilliant kick returns this past week in the CFL one of which was 125 yards.

JaQuan Hardy out of the backfield on passes is something I missed focused more on the lack of run success due IMO to scheme.
But knocking that blocker into the ball heading for a TD was freaking awesome. That was a big play.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:37 pm
I agree with Blitz that Mike Benefield has matured a lot and ST improvements are for real. Definitely a keeper there.
A little bit when the HC is speaking to the referee, it seems he's bit too far out on the field for an assistant but that is likely just his personality.
Ironically Jacques C. Mike Benefield and Mark Washington - all seemed to be a bit of posers. The TSN crew commented that Mark W wasn't wearing his white gloves and had new garb on in reference to standing out in one of the last few Ticat games.

I'd still like to see two kick returners out there. There were two brilliant kick returns this past week in the CFL one of which was 125 yards.

JaQuan Hardy out of the backfield on passes is something I missed focused more on the lack of run success due IMO to scheme.
But knocking that blocker into the ball heading for a TD was freaking awesome. That was a big play.
I assume you mean Mike Benevides
(unless David has an unknown brother who took up coaching :wink: )
Blitz
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion
LEGEND
Re: Lions at Ticats Oct. 13, 2023
MON OCT 16, 2023 6:43 PM

Toppy Vann wrote: ↑Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:37 pm

I assume you mean Mike Benevides
(unless David has an unknown brother who took up coaching :wink: )
An easy thing to do Toppy and refering to Mike 'Benevedes' as Mike 'Benefield' was an easy last name to exchange. You have more Lions names in your memory bank by far than most Lions fans. :thup: so easy to make a slip.

Anyway, you are a heck of a lot sharper than Wally, who was usually still in an alternate universe during a football game. :wink: In Wally's last football game in Hamilton, he was yelling at Lulay to throw the football to Allan (Pitts) who had not played for him in a couple of decades (and had a tantrum when Lulay didn't. :wink: Then he wanted to punt on the opposition 25 yard line.

Now he is hired out as a consultant!! :rotf: :rotf:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:19 pm
But then in the 1994 WDF when Danny McManus threw the memorable TD pass to Darren Flutie, the ball with caught with 3 seconds left. Darren Flutie was immediately tackled and went down with 2 seconds remaining but he kept possession and control of the ball so the TD certainly counted. But nevertheless, the timekeeper allowed the clock to run to 0. But Calgary didn't argue about how there should at least 1 second remaining to force a kickoff in which the Stampeders would always have that fair chance to score in that ensuing kickoff.

The timekeepers sit down on the sidelines at field level I believe. They can't always see the play and have to rely on watching the officials and listening for the whistle. Lol. Back in my high school days I tried my hand at running the timeclock for our school's basketball games. I sucked because I'd catch myself watching the play like a spectator when I should have been paying attention to the officials. I suspect on that play the timekeeper may not have enjoyed to ability to witness the actual catch and had to rely on the hearing the whistle or seeing an official signal. The official standing on the goal line under the uprights looking right at Flutie hadn't yet signaled TD by the time the clock hit :00. Of course back in 1994 they didn't have the ability to check reviews or rely on the eye in the sky to accurately put that second back on the clock.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Until recently, time on the scoreboard wasn't official, at least in Vancouver. The official time was kept by the timekeeper at field level. I don't know whether the scoreboard time at McMahon in 1994 was considered official.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:07 pm
Until recently, time on the scoreboard wasn't official, at least in Vancouver. The official time was kept by the timekeeper at field level. I don't know whether the scoreboard time at McMahon in 1994 was considered official.
I suspect that official time was not on the scoreboard then.
Even now the ref tells them to add time on the clock.

That name change for the Lion ST coach to Benefield comes from this week's fog of work where I got stuck on a paper I'm writing for a journal. I think I've got that figured out.

Daved Benefield was not on my radar at the time of writing though.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy