Ottawa @ BC Sept 16, 2023

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Looks like one significant roster move for this game. Bo Lokombo is out with a rib injury and likely out for a few games. Josh Woods will start for him. Unless Messam is ready to come off the 6G Hinsperger likely draws in.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... nded-stint
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That's too bad for Bo. He was having a great year. The Lions have roster flexibility. I would also expect them to add American LB Brooks Parker. He has bounced on and off the roster all season as a special teamer and backup to Lokombo. They would likely have to drop one of the 10 defensive linemen they dressed last week. Siddiqi and Usher were listed as designated Americans.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I see the following note in CFL.ca transactions from today that says:

Notes: BC DB Jalon Edwards-Cooper will be returning to practice from the 6-Game Injured list. He will be accounted for on either the Active or 1-Game Injured List as of Friday September 15, 2023.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:34 pm
I see the following note in CFL.ca transactions from today that says:

Notes: BC DB Jalon Edwards-Cooper will be returning to practice from the 6-Game Injured list. He will be accounted for on either the Active or 1-Game Injured List as of Friday September 15, 2023.
He was a full participant at practice today so it looks promising for his return. Mike Jones has filled in for the past two games and has done a pretty good job.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Looking at previous transactions Rhymes is eligible to return to practice next week and to return to play vs the Riders on the 29th. Same with Messam and Lafrance. All assuming of course they are healthy enough.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Varga is also another option. He's gotten a couple of reps on defense.
David
Team Captain

I wonder what our self-scouting revealed during the bye week?

In my opinion, here are some of our needs:

* To be more disciplined. Lots of silly penalties (offside, holding - especially on kick/punt returns, giving us BAD field position). Going into our last game, we led the league. Campbell needs to address this.

* To be more physical in the trenches. We're not winning the battles against opposing defenses consistently enough, which is reflected in our league-low 79.8 yards per game rushing and a league-low 4.5 yards per carry (tied with Saskatchewan). By contrast, Edmonton is averaging 6.0 yards per carry (likely boosted with the addition of QB Tre Ford). We're about middle of the pack in sacks allowed. Getting stuffed on 3rd and 1 (e.g. against Hamilton) is a wake-up call.

* We seem to be 'hit or miss' against the run. For the most part, our defense has been gap-sound and able to nullify RBs for big gains. But then there was the 69-yard gallop (untouched) by William Stanback. Sometimes too, we would stuff James Butler in the backfield. But then he finished with 118 yards rushing on 21 carries (5.6-yard average). Too often, we seem to get trucked by tree-stump-legged running backs (Ouellette, Butler, Oliveira). Not that other teams aren't as well mind you; these are all great running backs. But it's something we need to pay attention to.

I also believe we need to get better at creating turnovers. Not enough thus far. Creating shorter fields for the offense through turnovers and better punt/kick returns would greatly benefit that unit.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:32 pm
Varga is also another option. He's gotten a couple of reps on defense.
With Woods moving in to start in place of Lokombo I think Varga will be asked to fill Woods' former role as 4th LB rotating in for a DL in passing situations. Woods has been very good in whatever role he's been asked to fill since coming to BC. I don't expect there to be much of a drop off, if any at all, from Lokombo to Woods.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:42 pm
I wonder what our self-scouting revealed during the bye week?

In my opinion, here are some of our needs:

* To be more disciplined. Lots of silly penalties (offside, holding). Going into our last game, we led the league. Campbell needs to address this.

* To be more physical in the trenches. We're not winning the battles against opposing defenses consistently enough, which is reflected in our league-low 79.8 yards per game rushing and a league-low 4.5 yards per carry (tied with Saskatchewan). By contrast, Edmonton is averaging 6.0 yards per carry (likely boosted with the addition of QB Tre Ford). We're about middle of the pack in sacks allowed. Getting stuffed on 3rd and 1 (e.g. against Hamilton) is a wake-up call.

* We seem to be 'hit or miss' against the run. For the most part, our defense has been gap-sound and able to nullify RBs for big gains. But then there was the 69-yard gallop (untouched) by William Stanback. Sometimes too, we would stuff James Butler in the backfield. But then he finished with 118 yards rushing on 21 carries (5.6-yard average). Too often, we seem to get trucked by tree-stump-legged running backs (Ouellette, Butler, Oliveira). Not that other teams aren't as well mind you; these are all great running backs. But it's something we need to pay attention to.

I also believe we need to get better at creating turnovers. Not enough thus far. Creating shorter fields for the offense through turnovers and better punt/kick returns would greatly benefit that unit.

DH :cool:
You've identified the Lion challenges.

* Discipline/penalties - in part from my view is how teams are better prepared for BC now they've seen them play and some of the holding is coming from defences knowing how to stretch the protection and head for the QB. Not all due to that.

* Physical in the trenches is harder when you're predictable. WPG and TOR O-Lines are very physical except when a predictable run play gets called.
I strongly believe that the hogs run over people better when you've got a very good running game and teams can't fully key on runs as you might pass.

*Defensively the vaunted Lions second time around are better prepared for by opposing OCs and they've not been as effective as when they were top of their game. It's hard to figure if they aren't playing as well as a group or others are just better gaming how the Lions play.

Those running backs like Oliviera and Ouellette are aided by play calls as much as their ability to create and see the wholes. I saw one game where Buck seemed off the target in run calls - just one this year.

Butler's great too but earlier on Tommy Condell ran lousy run plays making James Butler look average. Milanovich is calling more varied runs, etc that teams can't key on.

Ironically when Jarius Jackson took over for McAdoo - another stuck in play calling like Condell - he ran some very creative run schemes unlike he did in BC and they worked for their RB.

I'm a firm believer that schemes and play calls can make an O-line or RB or both back look good or bad if defences aren't having to think too much.
Others think that it's just about execution where the big boys just run over the DEF.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
PGSSS74
Rookie

One thing that is really griping me is kick returns. Williams is almost last in the league in kick return average. Every return consists of him fielding the ball, running straight upfield, getting stuffed. Take away his one long return of 62 yards and he would have a 21.7 yard average. I can't recall any wide runs, any dipsy doodling, just the field, run, stuffed tactic.

I know this is not all his fault. There must be some coaching decision-making to keep him doing exactly the same thing, over and over. Why?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

PGSSS74 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:29 pm
One thing that is really griping me is kick returns. Williams is almost last in the league in kick return average. Every return consists of him fielding the ball, running straight upfield, getting stuffed. Take away his one long return of 62 yards and he would have a 21.7 yard average. I can't recall any wide runs, any dipsy doodling, just the field, run, stuffed tactic.

I know this is not all his fault. There must be some coaching decision-making to keep him doing exactly the same thing, over and over. Why?
My guess is that coaches don't like players shifting direction against the blocking direction on the return too early as players panic and holding and illegal blocks happen too frequently. No one wants their guy to be slaughtered and they are just watching.

Coaches would sooner take less yardage safe up the middle than have the returner too quickly shift direction way back of the blocking and then get stuffed with little gain and the penalty loses them yardage.

Kind of like how in the NFL no one bothers to return kick offs but just takes the ball with no thought of a big run back. Of course their field has less width and length but if miss an NFL kickoff getting a beer or some chips if you're so inclined, you're missing very little usually.

There are some teams that seem more tolerant of what their returner does in free-lancing and at times that leads to penalties or a fumble or a guy getting stuffed with no gain. Seems to me they're happy just to get the ball safely enough out of the shadows of the end zone over risking bad things. Toronto's kick returner from the Riders is brilliant but he usually doesn't break too early and their return team is prepped not to do stupid things.

Also kind of like Vic Rapp's philosophy on the bomb where he told QBs "three things can happen and two of them are bad."

My sense is that BC Lions version of the return game is low risk, ball possession and only break to the outside when you're upfield and that big wide opening is right there. Kind of statistical in some ways.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:31 am
My guess is that coaches don't like players shifting direction against the blocking direction on the return too early as players panic and holding and illegal blocks happen too frequently. No one wants their guy to be slaughtered and they are just watching.

Coaches would sooner take less yardage safe up the middle than have the returner too quickly shift direction way back of the blocking and then get stuffed with little gain and the penalty loses them yardage.

Kind of like how in the NFL no one bothers to return kick offs but just takes the ball with no thought of a big run back. Of course their field has less width and length but if miss an NFL kickoff getting a beer or some chips if you're so inclined, you're missing very little usually.

There are some teams that seem more tolerant of what their returner does in free-lancing and at times that leads to penalties or a fumble or a guy getting stuffed with no gain. Seems to me they're happy just to get the ball safely enough out of the shadows of the end zone over risking bad things. Toronto's kick returner from the Riders is brilliant but he usually doesn't break too early and their return team is prepped not to do stupid things.

Also kind of like Vic Rapp's philosophy on the bomb where he told QBs "three things can happen and two of them are bad."

My sense is that BC Lions version of the return game is low risk, ball possession and only break to the outside when you're upfield and that big wide opening is right there. Kind of statistical in some ways.
I agree that Williams seems to be strictly following orders to return the ball up the middle. The Lions are in the middle of the pack in punt and kick return averages (fourth in each category), but they have only 3 big returns, tied with Ottawa for last in the league. B.C., Calgary and Edmonton are the only teams that haven't scored a touchdown on a punt or kick return.

As for penalties, the Lions have taken a league-high 18 penalties on punt returns but only 2 on kick returns. Of the 20 return penalties, 15 are for holding or illegal blocks. That appears to be the result of blockers being out of position.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Personally I always liked the way Smart and Brown handled returns which is to say with a running back mentality....straight ahead, hopefully catch a seam and break thru to the next level. You rarely saw them lose ground while dancing around waiting for something to open. Despite being a receiver by trade Williams seems to return with an RB mentality.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:46 pm
Personally I always liked the way Smart and Brown handled returns which is to say with a running back mentality....straight ahead, hopefully catch a seam and break thru to the next level. You rarely saw them lose ground while dancing around waiting for something to open. Despite being a receiver by trade Williams seems to return with an RB mentality.
Yah, and I think that is what teams want rather than have the returner try to head for either sideline as soon as they make the catch. It's the unexpected reversal of direction that leads to penalities that hurt.

This was short punt but Javon Leake of the Argos makes these breaks the way I think is safer in avoiding penalties.

https://tinyurl.com/Javon-Leake-Argos

The second one in this article on him shows him break right but his blockers were right in front.

Lions kick returner is getting up behind the blocking but just not getting the openings. I 've watched Argos games and Leake has way more room it seems.

This is an interesting story as one of his coaches was Kai Locksley's father who got him to return punts.

Story is interesting as it's now 3 key Argo players who have bounced around and now seem to have found a home in the CFL:
* AJ Ouellette - said this in a live TSN panel following his game.
*Chad Kelly - although he's got a $250,000 bonus if he doesn't take an NFL option.
* Javon Leake - seems to be one of them.

TRAVELZOO is back with LIONS tickets and they are 30% cheaper as Ticketmaster has the higher service fee. I think Travelzoo is $1.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article/iv ... -the-odds/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As expected, the Lions depth chart for Saturday's game shows that rotational American linebacker Josh Woods will start in place of Bo Lokombo (ribs) and rookie national Jack Hinsperger is activated as a backup. Jalon Edwards-Cooper, who is having a great year at cornerback, returns from injury. Mike Jones, who has filled in for the past two games, has been moved to the 6-game injured list. There are no changes to the offensive lineup that beat Montreal two weeks ago. American linebacker Brooks Parker, who has backed up Lokombo in four games this year, remains on the practice roster.

Lions depth chart and roster