Bud Grant passes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Multi-sport legend. As a Golden Gopher he lettered in football, basketball and baseball. He played in the NBA as part of the 1950 champion Minneapolis Lakers. He would play in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles before coming north to play and later coach the Blue Bombers before moving on to coach the Vikings from 67-83 plus another brief stint in 85. In addition to his NBA championship he won 4 Grey Cups with Winnipeg and one NFL championship with Minnesota. The 69 Vikings were deemed NFL Champs as the NFL and AFL were still considered separate leagues until the merger was finalized for the 1970 season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s amazing to see how football economics have changed. Grant played out his NFL option and came to Canada because Winnipeg offered him more money.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:09 pm
It’s amazing to see how football economics have changed. Grant played out his NFL option and came to Canada because Winnipeg offered him more money.
Probably didn't hurt that the Manitoba fishing was way more like what he was accustomed to in Minnesota. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Foxhound
Starter

Here are some excerpts from Bud Grant's simply phenomenal career:

1. He had poliomyelitis as a kid. He accordingly took up sports to help strengthen his leg muscles!

2. He lettered in three sports at the University of Minnesota - football, basketball and baseball! Twice he was All Big-Ten in football.

3. He was drafted in the first round by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1950. But he was also drafted in the fourth round by the Minneapolis Lakers though! He chose basketball and played 35 games for the Lakers in the latter part of the 1949-50 season. He stayed with the Lakers for one more season and played 61 games in 1950-51.

4. He then realized he would never achieve much in the NBA. He elected to switch to football and joined the Philadelphia Eagles for the 1951 season. He played defensive end that season leading the Eagles in sacks.

5. He switched to wide receiver for the 1952 season and was second in the NFL in receiving yards with 997! He then thought he merited a healthy salary increase. The Eagles disagreed and told Grant to take it or leave it. He opted to leave it, and instead signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for more money.

6. He played both defensive back and offensive end for the Blue Bombers for the next four seasons. He led the Western Interprovincial Football Union in receiving yardage in 1953 and 1956, pass receptions in 1953, 1954 and 1956, and was named a W.I.F.U. all-star in 1953, 1954 and 1956.

7. He still holds the CFL record for most interceptions in a playoff game with five!

8. In 1957 he was named the head coach of the Blue Bombers at the age of 29! When later asked how long it took his former teammates to realize that he was now the boss, he replied "About five minutes."

9. He coached the Blue Bombers to a Grey Cup berth that very first year in 1957 and then again in 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962 and 1965 with the Blue Bombers emerging triumphant in 1958, 1959, 1961 and 1962. Ironically all six of those Blue Bomber Grey Cup games were against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

10. The tradition of Blue Bomber linemen playing games in sub-zero November temperatures with bare arms against their similarly bare armed rivals with the Edmonton Eskimos may have originated during Bud Grant's tenure in the fifties. Simple intimidation "What, you call this cold? Welcome to Canada, sissy boy." Those were the days when the Western final was a best of three game affair played over the course of eight days. Football players were tough in those days.

11. He was offered the job of head coach of the Minnesota Vikings in 1961. He turned it down at the time, but relented and accepted the position in 1967.

12. He then engineered a rare trade between teams in the separate leagues when he acquired QB Joe Kapp from the British Columbia Lions in exchange for Canadian WR Jim Young. Young would go on to earn the appellate "Dirty Thirty" with the Lions and was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame after retirement.

13. He wouldn't allow heaters along the Viking sidelines during games. He wanted his players to stay focused on winning the game and not warming up by the heaters. When you saw the Vikings standing like ice giants along the sideline in their purple cloaks while the other team huddled miserably by their heaters, it was pretty obvious which team would win the game!

14. He coached the Minnesota Vikings to Super Bowl appearances in the 1969, 1973, 1974 and 1976 NFL seasons.

15. When many players took to celebrating TDs with outlandish antics in the end zone in the late seventies, Viking players did not. When a reporter asked Bud whether there was a team rule prohibiting such celebrations, his reply was "No, there's no such rule. They just better not."

16. Bud Grant didn't like to see players fidgeting during the national anthem. He thought that standing respectfully at attention would earn not just the respect of the fans but also of the players on the other team. He accordingly had giant defensive end and former National Guardsmen Carl Eller lead his Viking teammates in national anthem practices.

17. The player Bud Grant considered to be the best he ever coached in either league was Leo Lewis who played halfback for the Blue Bombers between the years 1955 and 1966. Leo had rushed for 8861 yards with a remarkable average of 6.6 yards per carry. You can therefore imagine Bud's astonishment in 1981 when he was told that a fellow named Leo Lewis had walked into the Vikings' training camp asking for a tryout. The applicant was the son of the Leo Lewis that Bud had coached in Winnipeg. Leo Lewis III not only made the roster that year but played for the Vikings as a wide receiver and punt returner until 1991.

18. Bud Grant had a fear of flying. His Blue Bombers (and of course Vikings) always flew to their games though. "The players sleep more restfully in a hotel than they do on a train. I don't matter." was his explanation. 'Nuff said.

19. He was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 1994.

20. A statue of Bud Grant was unveiled outside Winnipeg's Investors Group Field in October 2014.

21. Bud Grant's name was added to those of QB Ken Ploen, OL Chris Walby, FB Gerry James, WR Milt Stegall, QB Dieter Brock and HB Leo Lewis.on the Blue Bombers' Ring of Honour at halftime of a game against the Edmonton Eskimos that took place in late September 2016:

Here are some scans of CFL cards from my collection featuring Bud Grant:

1954 Blue Ribbon

1963 CFL Coins

1964 Nalley's CFL Coins

May perhaps the greatest gridiron football coach of all time R.I.P.

:crow:
Radically Canadian!
Foxhound
Starter

When Bud Grant was asked about the factors behind his successful career as a head coach, he replied "A good wife, a good dog and a good QB". For Bud it seems that roster depth was therefore the key.

:wink:
Radically Canadian!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Foxhound wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:14 am
When Bud Grant was asked about the factors behind his successful career as a head coach, he replied "A good wife, a good dog and a good QB". For Bud it seems that roster depth was therefore the key.

:wink:
Haha... not exactly in that same order lol

Bud Grant was of the sort who didn't say much but when they did it made sense.

He never lost his love and respect for the CFL.

Coaching tree
As of 2020, seven of Grant's assistants have become head coaches, and one has won the Super Bowl.[42]

Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks (2010–present), New England Patriots (1997–1999), New York Jets (1994)[43]
Marc Trestman, Chicago Bears (2013–2014), Canadian Football League, Montreal Alouettes (2008–2012), Toronto Argonauts (2017–2018)[44]
Jerry Burns, Minnesota Vikings (1986–1991)[45]
Les Steckel, Minnesota Vikings (1984)[5]
Neill Armstrong, Chicago Bears (1977–1981)[46]
Jack Patera, Seattle Seahawks (1976–1982)[47]
Bob Hollway, St. Louis Cardinals (1971–1972)[48]
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great stuff, Guys.

It's funny the things you remember.

Grant's Bombers always pounded the Lions. Grant was gracious, but did wonder if there was something in the air out there in B.C. that kept the team from being a contender. Ha Ha.

We used to go to Empire Stadium, close to where we lived in Burnaby, to watch practice, which was open. And the games were cheap enough for kids to go. I recall watching receivers Ernie Pitts and Farrell Funston just destroying the Lions. As kids we would ask the players for memorabilia. After a game, I asked Ernie Pitts for his chin strap, and he politely said he was going to keep it. LOL.

I well recall Grant going the Vikings. Sports Illustrated had a very large article on him. One of the things I recall was how Grant loved his cabin in the woods of Minnesota. He told of how the crows outside learned to like him, watch him and follow him from room to room as he moved about.

He was not a chatty guy, not overly gregarious. But a friend of mine ended up sitting next to his wife on a flight. She was the chatty one.

He shortened spring training for the players. There was no locker room dysfunction on his teams. They played hard.

Helluva athlete. Helluva coach. Helluva guy.

I got the impression he and his coaches did no special game prep for championship games. Just like regular game prep. But when they lost those Super Bowls, they were matched up the next year in the regular season, and they won those "rematches" against the Chiefs and Steelers. For a pro football coach, he had his priorities and his values, and they did not include sleeping in the office and getting ulcers.

The impression I got was that coaches like Tom Landry and Hank Stram put more emphasis on special game prep. Guard Blaine Nye taking Alan Page in the direction he was going, sealing him, and the back running into the open space vacated. Stram having a special play for Mike Garrett into a huge hole. I think Chuck Noll and Don Shula were a bit more like Grant, focusing on the bread and butter stuff. Just in my opinion.

Nowadays coaches totally focus on special prep for every game. When Grant's Purple Gang front four of Page, Carl Eller, Jim Marshall and Gary Larson were destroying the league, Grant was asked what adjustments they had made. He said all they did was "turn them loose."

Obviously one of my all time favorite coaches in any sport. Along with Bill Walsh, a coach who was all about "special prep," as he basically reinvented the passing game.

One time post from WestCoastJoe. Hope you are all doing well, as am I. Not following the Leos much anymore, but I did enjoy Nathan Rourke's year very much, and wish him well in the NFL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great observations, WCJ. I always appreciate your perspective.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:51 am
Great observations, WCJ. I always appreciate your perspective.
Thanks, BCFAN. And as I enjoy your views.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

David
Team Captain

We miss you WestCoastJoe. Sure wish you posted more often. A little surprised that you're not following our Leos as much. It bucks the trends. I've read a lot about the Leos' big year last year bringing some longtime (dormant) fans out of the woodwork, which is good to see.

Funny though, I ran into a former player (5 years at DT) on Wednesday here in Kitsilano where I live. I asked if he follows the team (expecting to "talk shop"). He said, "No, not really" and just humoured me with, "How do you think Rourke will do in the NFL." This kind of surprised me. I don't know why. I guess I expected alumni to still hold an active interest. People just move, I suppose.

Stay well and I hope to hear more from you soon.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:18 pm
We miss you WestCoastJoe. Sure wish you posted more often. A little surprised that you're not following our Leos as much. It bucks the trends. I've read a lot about the Leos' big year last year bringing some longtime (dormant) fans out of the woodwork, which is good to see.

Funny though, I ran into a former player (5 years at DT) on Wednesday here in Kitsilano where I live. I asked if he follows the team (expecting to "talk shop"). He said, "No, not really" and just humoured me with, "How do you think Rourke will do in the NFL." This kind of surprised me. I don't know why. I guess I suspected alumni to still hold an active interest. People just move, I suppose.

Stay well and I hope to hear more from you soon.

DH :cool:
Hey David. Thanks. Good to hear from you too.

Yes, fans move on. And you know Vancouver. With you win ... or win. Ha ha. Except for loyal Lionbackers. As noted I really enjoyed Nathan Rourke's year. I think I shared some thoughts with Blitz on Rourke.

I check in here once in a while.

Good to see Toppy posting.

Take care, and be well.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hey WCJ,

Hope all is well. Miss both your insights and Blitz's.

Maybe Ernie Pitts kept his chin strap as budgets were so low lol.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Bombers under Bud Grant mostly avoid players from warm climates like California etc? They just wanted players who played in the colder climes.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:35 pm
Hey WCJ,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Bombers under Bud Grant mostly avoid players from warm climates like California etc? They just wanted players who played in the colder climes.
No you're not wrong.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:35 pm
Hey WCJ,

Hey Toppy,

Thank you. Yes, all is well for me. I have not texted with Blitz for a while. I hope he is well also.

Yeah, Pitts kept his dayum chin strap. Ha ha. Those guys probably had to buy their own. Ha ha.

The one bit of memorabilia I wish I had kept was an autograph by Maurice "The Rocket" Richard. As a 4 year old I saw his face and his picture in the newspaper, after scoring a goal. He ended up in the net, looking out. His face and eyes just captured me. A few years later, he was already retired, but was reffing an old timer's game at the Forum at the PNE, and I was there with my Dad. Between periods he was at the boards, autographing. I went down there, but he moved away. I called out "Hey, Rocket." He looked back at me, skated back, and gave me the autograph. Very cool. My Mom remembered that episode decades later. After he passed, I was visiting my parents in their senior home. We were talking about him, and Mom said: "Hey, Rocket." Ha ha. He was amazing, the hold he had on people. I think he lit a fire in me, as he did with his team, and the people of Quebec, and probably much of Canada.

Glad you are well, Toppy. I just check in here once in a while. When I saw the Bud Grant topic, I decided to make a one-time post.

Stay well.