Doman not taking his foot off the gas - 2 day Backyard Party

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

He wants to start off 2023 with an even bigger bang than 2022. Also wants to build on WSF travel initiatives to help get more people into games from the island and interior.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/03/this ... me-opener/
Last edited by Hambone on Mon May 22, 2023 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rick Lelacheur did a lot of things right during his tenure as president but none were bigger than making sure the club was sold to the right buyer in Doman.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

In all the years I've been a season ticket holder, we've never had an owner that markets the team as Doman.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Definitely, this is the right owner for the Lions and the CFL.

He understands the music aspect too lol as so many fans are appreciative only of their music tastes as Amar says:
“Listen, if you have my seat here, how do you do this? This is a hard thing because if you go country, half the people hate it.

If you go hard rock, three-quarters of the people [hate it].

Pop… this takes a lot of thinking and then you’ve got to figure out which bands are available.”
I was surprised how they attracted the One Republic fans although they've had the number song and album in Canada over the years.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:43 am
Definitely, this is the right owner for the Lions and the CFL.

He understands the music aspect too lol as so many fans are appreciative only of their music tastes as Amar says:
“Listen, if you have my seat here, how do you do this? This is a hard thing because if you go country, half the people hate it.

If you go hard rock, three-quarters of the people [hate it].

Pop… this takes a lot of thinking and then you’ve got to figure out which bands are available.”
I was surprised how they attracted the One Republic fans although they've had the number song and album in Canada over the years.
Lol. I guess I fit into the 50% who hate country and the 25% who don't hate hard rock.

One Republic and the CFL aren't unknown to each other. They were the half-time show for the 2016 Grey Cup. To secure an act is not a small task. Has to be one big enough to have an impact on ticket sales. Then they have to be easily available as in not on tour, touring nearby but not in Vancouver or otherwise having a gap in their tour. It's possible One Republic was already in Vancouver or planning on being there to utilize Vancouver's world-reknowned recording studios.
David
Team Captain

The narrative of the bashers once ticket sales took off is that fans would just show up for One Republic. By kick-off, many would leave. :roll:

Not so.

The crowd was decked out in orange and black. People came for the pre-game party and stayed...to enjoy the whole blowout. :roar:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MacNews
Team Captain

The Lions are like what the Al's would have been had their owner not died.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:13 pm
The Lions are like what the Al's would have been had their owner not died.
I'm not sure if the death of the majority owner of the Alouettes over time would have made much of a difference.
It seems that the partnership was doomed eventually.

I think it was on 3 Down or the Montreal Gazette (Herb Z) where an article criticized Ambrosie and the CFL for taking these owners on.

This story suggests that the CFL was convinced by a lawyer for MLSE that the Als owners were good.

If it's true that Trevor Harris is going to the Riders and of course Eugene Lewis is out of there too - that speaks volumes if the players feel the structure above them isn't there.

Overall, it might be good for both Harris and Fajardo to change places. Maas though certainly didn't help Cody F. last year with his failure to run the ball more - something that you have to be able to do.

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/29/mont ... governors/
David
Team Captain

Anyone else find it strange that we're a month away from our home opener (Saturday, June 17) and we've not heard another thing about plans for the "concert and kickoff?"

My guess is that they're struggling to find a band (no small feat as many big-name acts are already on tour and Vancouver's not the easiest place to get to unless they're already on the West Coast).

The goal will be 35,000+ but that's a lot of inventory to move if they don't get started soon. That's a MINIMUM of 15,000 that would be coming for the concert, hype, experience etc.

Let's hope that something gets announced by next week.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I have no idea about the availability of bands but I thought the announcement would coincide with the recent launch of single-game ticket sales.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Doman offered a special deal during the SFU fund raising committee process for tickets. I didn't get to the deals though.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:40 pm
I have no idea about the availability of bands but I thought the announcement would coincide with the recent launch of single-game ticket sales.
It's never easy. Options usually are:
1) band touring Pacific NW but bypassing YVR and has an open date.
2) local band in between tours.
3) non-local band in YVR to utilize Vancouver's highly regarded recording studios to work on music.

Typically acts who play Grey Cups are promoting newly released albums and are early on in a tour. It's the TV audience they covet as it helps sell tour tickets and albums. Football fans looked at GC half-time acts as a boost to ticket sales. Those same acts look at GC half-time gigs as a marketing tool for themselves. The 3M watching on TV have immensely more value to them than the 40K in the stands.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions announce that the Trews will headline the backyard street party.

https://www.bclions.com/2023/05/22/the- ... n-june-17/

Mod Edit - moved this post from training camp to the "Concert and Kick-off" thread.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The season opening Backyard Party on Robson will be a 2 day event; Friday night and Saturday afternoon featuring Famous Players Band on Friday and The Trews on Saturday. Also there will be a big screen showing the Riders and Bombers game Friday night. Announcement for the pre-game concert act still to come.

https://www.bclions.com/2023/05/22/the- ... n-june-17/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Trews wrote and performed the song for the Captain from Nova Scotia who died serving in our military.

""Highway of Heroes", was co-written and co-produced by The Trews and Gordie Johnson (Big Sugar) and was inspired by the 2006 death of Captain Nichola Goddard from The Trews' hometown of Antigonish, NS. Canada's Highway of Heroes, is the section of the MacDonald-Cartier freeway named to honour those who have sacrificed all in service of country. "