Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

@TSN_Marsh - "I was interested in that Vernon Adams Jr. extension (in BC) because that created a lack of volatility in the QB market because I had heard that @daneevans9 was potentially interested in going out & working w/ Jordan Maksymic in BC."
That’s refreshing. Maksymic’s work of grooming Rourke through 2 seasons of taking first team reps didn’t go unnoticed. As maxlion suggests, Evans probably sees the BC passing scheme as the ideal situation to get his decision making and passing accuracy back on track
David
Team Captain

I see Dane and VA as similar in that they can get in their own way when things don't go their way. I believe some missed plays can affect their confidence and they start to overthink things. VA even mentioned in an interview that he tried to do too much when he came here, fully aware of Rourke's success and popularity.

But I do believe we'll be set at the QB position. Perhaps the best 1-2 combination in the league (arguably better #1s...but not 1&2). Not sure where this leaves Dom though.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

It is interesting in how things turn out when viewed in hindsight: If Rourke hadn't got injured when he did, Lions would not have acquired VA when they did and may not have got him at all. And who knows how hard or easy it would have been to acquire Evans. I guess I'm saying Rourke would have gone to the NFL either way but the way it happened it has left the Lions stronger at the QB position than if Rourke had not gotten injured.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'll be honest. At first blush I was hardly thrilled at the prospect of living with our new addition to the QB group, my immediate thought being "Dane Evans = Mr. Turn-over". But I guess I have a too-short memory, and while last season was indeed something of a nightmare of fumbles and interceptions for Evans, it's only fair to acknowledge his more stable years prior. He provided some legit excitement across his span of years over in Steel Town. So, I've settled my thoughts on him and this acquisition. I'm seeing it now as a solid and pretty savvy move; two experienced (but likely still destined to be hot-and-cold by nature) pivots who can compliment one another and nicely help the team accumulate more victories than otherwise. I wonder if it doesn't turn into a sort of tandem in time, even if there's no injury reason for it. I can't think Evans will be so fumble-fingered as he was. I think he'll get past that, and we'll benefit having him. One thing seems very clear; he and wife are enthusiastic to be here in BC.
Interesting article over on 3D, https://3downnation.com/2023/02/24/i-re ... de-to-b-c/
maxlion
Legend

A few interesting stats about Evans. From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... l)#Passing

Most consecutive pass completions one game - 19 (tie 5th all time)
Pass completion % career - 68.5% (3rd all time, Fajardo is 2nd!?)
Pass completion % one season - 2019 72.5% (at the time, 5th best all time, Rourke is 1st)
Pass efficiency rating career - 95.99% (8th all time)
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:01 am
It is interesting in how things turn out when viewed in hindsight: If Rourke hadn't got injured when he did, Lions would not have acquired VA when they did and may not have got him at all. And who knows how hard or easy it would have been to acquire Evans. I guess I'm saying Rourke would have gone to the NFL either way but the way it happened it has left the Lions stronger at the QB position than if Rourke had not gotten injured.

It's safe to say that if Rourke hadn't gotten hurt that we wouldn't have both VA and Dane Evans...certainly not for a 1st rounder and 2023 and 4th rounder in 2024!

I learned today that McEvoy's relationship with Hamilton Ass't GM Ed Hervey was pivotal in the Dane Evans trade. It helps that the two men worked closely here in BC.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/sports/ ... g-in-2023/

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Interesting report on Dane Evans, from JC Abbott. https://3downnation.com/2023/02/25/this ... s-starter/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The final DL piece has just been put in place. Jay Janower just reporting on GlobalBC news that the Lions have signed Shawn Lemon. That is a significant upgrade on Gwachum IMO.

Confirmed by Lions.

https://www.bclions.com/2023/02/26/cfl- ... -to-lions/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:09 pm
I see Dane and VA as similar in that they can get in their own way when things don't go their way. I believe some missed plays can affect their confidence and they start to overthink things. VA even mentioned in an interview that he tried to do too much when he came here, fully aware of Rourke's success and popularity.

But I do believe we'll be set at the QB position. Perhaps the best 1-2 combination in the league (arguably better #1s...but not 1&2). Not sure where this leaves Dom though.

I think the arm talent between the two is significantly different, and the offenses you have to design around the two are significantly different as well.

Having said that, I think you have more options in an Evans centric offense when the primary and secondary read is covered than you do with Adams, but I think the issue is Adams is a bit smarter with the ball than Evans.

Regardless, I'm with you on them being a terrific 1/2 punch.

And I'm also happy, on a personal level that Lemon is back. He and TJ Lee are joys to watch play defense.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:45 am
The final DL piece has just been put in place. Jay Janower just reporting on GlobalBC news that the Lions have signed Shawn Lemon. That is a significant upgrade on Gwachum IMO.

Confirmed by Lions.

Signing Lemon is huge and seems to come out of nowhere. Why did it take so long in free agency for the Lions or any other team to sign him? A future HoFer, probably first ballot and even though he is 34, the way teams rotate D linemen these days, Lemon doesn't need to be an every down player, just every certain passing down player, as a way of extending his career. :yahoo:
David
Team Captain

This Tweet caught my eye as it seems a bit odd. Since when is a player interested in his team’s trades unless they involve himself? Do you think he has asked for one? Maybe wanted his deal re-done and they said ‘no?’

[media] [/media]

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:56 am
This Tweet caught my eye as it seems a bit odd. Since when is a player interested in his team’s trades unless they involve himself? Do you think he has asked for one? Maybe wanted his deal re-done and they said ‘no?’

[media] [/media]

If a player asks for a trade isn't the normal procedure to have the player's agent contact other teams and gauge interest? Of course we are talking about Lucky who rarely does the normal but that could also mean talking on social media about trades even if he is not involved or not interested himself.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:53 am
Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:45 am

Confirmed by Lions.

Signing Lemon is huge and seems to come out of nowhere. Why did it take so long in free agency for the Lions or any other team to sign him? A future HoFer, probably first ballot and even though he is 34, the way teams rotate D linemen these days, Lemon doesn't need to be an every down player, just every certain passing down player, as a way of extending his career. :yahoo:
I don't know if it came out of nowhere for me. The longer he remained available the more I liked our chances assuming BC was seriously interested. Dickenson had acknowledged Lemon deserved a raise which I thought would eliminate BC's interest. However maybe that wouldn't be saying much. Lemon wasn't listed amongst the CFL's 11 highest paid DEs last year. No idea if that's because he wasn't or because JC Abbott who put the list together didn't have the numbers for Lemon.

At 34 (35 in August) Lemon is nearing the end of his career and likely wants to spend his remaining year(s) with a legit GC contender. That narrows down the options. With Jefferson and Jeffcoat Winnipeg wasn't looking. Toronto grabbed Orimolade to go with Costigan and Robbie Smith. Perhaps when BC made the deal to add Evans to back up Adams Lemon realized the Lions are very much set up to dethrone Winnipeg in the West putting them at the top of his list.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

[media] [/media]

Does seem a bit odd for sure. Maybe he's wondering if they might be bringing someone else in via trade? Right now things look like they are all but set outside of getting a new deal for Doll.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:

[media] [/media]

Then there was this on the day of the Evans trade. Was he asked to take a pay cut? Even with Evans re-worked deal & signing Lemon to probably a team friendly contract, that’s money they didn’t seem to have a few days ago.

[media] [/media]