WF Review

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dereks
prospect

My view for what its worth of game and players

1) Why don't we have a back up tail back? The running back was hurt most of the week and did not practice, not sure why they did not send the back up along especially in the cold weather game like this.

2) Keon Hatcher is the best receiver lions have IMO clutch.

3) Having whyte kick off did not work

4) For goodness sake put Adams in late Q2 to give Nathan a look see and give him a chance . This game isn't about a learning experience for Rourke its about winning

5) Campbells post game comments and comments in general or so non specific I hope he doesnt' coach that way

6) The run down the sideline blown out of bounds by ref was not out of bounds cost the lions a touchdown

7) Defence looked disinterested today , no one on that defence scares anybody, sloppy tackling throughout always LB always tackling 5 yards back from line of scrimmage. D plays off receivers way too much

8) Where was lokombo he has been a ghost this season. Canadian LBs not good enough always tackling 5 yards behind scrimmage showed up big time this game . Hladik is over hyped never gets leverage on players and is always being pushed down field not a pro level LB IMO
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hatcher has been clutch this season. I expect him to be even better with a year experience behind him.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I couldn't watch the 2nd half primarily for the reason that that game was the very epitome of why I don't like games affected by the weather.

I know there are some that take the position that a real game is played is played in whatever the elements give you but I just find what you get is a comedy of failures all throughout. Dropped balls, fumbles, bad throws, players having hard times makings cuts, reacting to the play in a timely fashion etc. I think that it makes games crappy to watch regardless of what side of the outcome you are on. And we will likely be treated to similar next week in Sask. where we will get to watch two teams struggling against the elements as much if not more than their oppositions. And why? Because we have this underlying attitude that makes for bad decisions when it comes to building stadiums to deal with such. Almost every stadium in this league is under 20 years old now and in particular regard to places like Winnipeg and Sask who recently built new stadiums, congrats on treating the audience to an inferior product.

As for the game itself. Winnipeg has been the class the league for the bulk of the season; has been for the last 3 years actually. It was long odds that BC would prevail from the get go. As it turned out, certain issues that plagued us all season, reared their head again. Kick coverage, an on again, off again running game etc.
It seemed as though the injury gods were against us this season. I'm sure Ottawa felt the same when they lost their QB for the season. However, for the first time in ages, this team gave us something to be excited about. We were no longer an afterthought in the usual hierarchy of teams. We made big plays, other teams didn't seem to know what was coming on any given play. We were dangerous and could be more dangerous still if can manage to tweak some of our issues and keep the core of this team. It may be a little soon to think about this but I would suggest that Rourke is going to get a top tier salary offer. Lucky may become unlucky to help pay for it. He was good but I can't say I felt the Lions were less dangerous with him out of the line up.

At any rate, a good season with hopefully lots of anticipation for next year. Thanks to the Lions and the members here.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

What was it about the weather that made the game terrible? There was little wind, temps were not brutal and it was a mere skiff of snow on the field.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

- 6 is cold enough. The rest is pretty evident in my post about why I don't enjoy this kind of game much. If this was 70 years ago, that may be one thing but if you are going to spend a bundle on a new facility, make it so players, not elements dictate the game. Think about your fans too.
I realize it is personal opinion but this "real man's" attitude about the game is old school thinking which would be better off left in the past. Especially since you might build a new stadium in this country once every 2-3 generations. Doesn't have to be full time covered but having that ability should be a given when new construction happens.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:15 pm
- 6 is cold enough. The rest is pretty evident in my post about why I don't enjoy this kind of game much. If this was 70 years ago, that may be one thing but if you are going to spend a bundle on a new facility, make it so players, not elements dictate the game. Think about your fans too.
I realize it is personal opinion but this "real man's" attitude about the game is old school thinking which would be better off left in the past. Especially since you might build a new stadium in this country once every 2-3 generations. Doesn't have to be full time covered but having that ability should be a given when new construction happens.
The CFL is struggling financially and politicians have no appetite to fund a stadium in Atlantic Canada, so covered stadiums is fantasy. And -6 is not considered very cold for skiing all day, so playing football in that weather is not brutal.
David
Team Captain

Dereks, I was on board with all of your points, 'til I got to 6,7, and 8.

6) We never saw a close-up of his foot and Keon regretted post-game that he went out of bounds on that play (as opposed to protesting the call). The one that irked me more was not challenging the turnover on downs on the 3rd down gamble in which we allegedly came up short. Would it have been overturned? Maybe not, but it was a critical play and I hate Campbell having a challenge flag in his pocket at the final gun.

7) Couldn't disagree more that the defence looked "disinterested." They balled out. It's clear to me though that we need a stout nose tackle in 2023 (Steve Richardson?). Someone who's disruptive, can take up space, and won't get pushed around by 330-lb guards/tackles who seem to get to the second layer too easily and block downfield. Credit Oliveira. He's a load to bring down once he finds a hole. His powerful legs seems to get him 3 extra yards even if he's stopped for a 2-yard gain. Our LBers were likely GASSED in the second half from being on the field so much!

8) Not sure what the future brings for Lokombo. I wouldn't mind seeing him at safety. It's hard to believe he was our Outstanding Canadian in 2021 yet couldn't find regular reps at linebacker. Perhaps he was hampered by injury. I do know that we're quite deep at linebacker with Williams, Hladek, and the emergence of Rugamba (I think you're being too hard on Hladek. It's his first season!). Let's not forget that we drafted this year's Canada West Defensive Player of the Year in LB Ryder Varga (3rd round in 2022).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Exactly my point Dano. Stadiums are expensive. You are going to blow a wad regardless so you might as well do facilities where you can provide some protection from the elements. And since they are that expensive, whatever you do is going to dictate the course of events for the next 40 to 50 years at least. - 6 isn't that cold but it is enough to make balls hard to catch, kicks hard to field, make footing precarious, turf like concrete etc. etc. I don't expect everybody to agree with me or even the majority but at the end of the day, my reaction was that this game wasn't going to be very well played and much of that was weather related. Then I was thinking, oh goody, we are going to see similar fare at the Grey Cup. Then I got to thinking that both Sask and Manitoba have 2 of the newest stadiums in the league and why are they completely open? No good reason I can see other than that old "tough sport, tough guy" mentality. Personally, I think it is a cover for "we don't want to spend the money". After a whole season and a ton of games, I would much rather watch a game that showcases the players talents than wonder how badly the weather is going to affect the outcome. I mean it isn't like we don't know what the prairies are like in the middle of winter.

At some point in the future, Calgary and Edmonton are going to be on tap for new facilities. I hope they don't just go for that lowest common denominator and try to save a few bucks while falling on that old mantra of "its a tough man's sport".
DanoT
Hall of Famer

AFAIK the new Mosaic Stadium was designed to have an enclosed/roof added later when finances allow. High interest rates and not selling out Rider games likely means roof mods will be done later rather than sooner.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well if that is the case, that is something at least. I did not know that. It isn't always the cold where this is valuable. We know things are getting drier and hotter. Shade can be a good thing too for both players and fans alike.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

6) We never saw a close-up of his foot and Keon regretted post-game that he went out of bounds on that play (as opposed to protesting the call). The one that irked me more was not challenging the turnover on downs on the 3rd down gamble in which we allegedly came up short. Would it have been overturned? Maybe not, but it was a critical play and I hate Campbell having a challenge flag in his pocket at the final gun.
I found it annoying that the foot on the line was dismissed so quickly as it sure looked close to me.

I also thought the spot on the 3rd down was wrong and was hoping the command center was going to change it.

My sense is that the only time I found it frustrating was Grant's kick return for a TD where many should have tackled him.

Rick Campbell like many coaches is not much of an orator but I'm sure the players got his sentiments post game. As a coach his practices are highly structured and fast paced and he's the one shouting the transitions so he's quite focused.

Dave D's pre-semi oration wasn't great either.

Wally didn't pride himself in being a great orator and he was right . Pre-game these players are focused on their own roles and not much listening nor are they movitated by a speech.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MacNews
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:46 pm
At some point in the future, Calgary and Edmonton are going to be on tap for new facilities. I hope they don't just go for that lowest common denominator and try to save a few bucks while falling on that old mantra of "its a tough man's sport".
I agree. What sells tickets? Offense. What drives TV ratings? Offense.

You can't have offense when the QB's hands are numb and the receivers can't get traction on frozen turf.

Everyone criticizes domed stadiums for being "weak" but yet enjoy the athletes playing at their full potential.

Dome Or Bust!
ddanny
Rookie

I agree think back when BC Place was built it was the place to be so new and state of the art
A good example was our WSF game this year I know it cleared up a bit but I guarantee you
There would not have been 31,000 if not for the dome . Imagine that game at empire .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The cold of Winnipeg affected both teams but definitely had a few impacts like TJ Lee not able to bring in an INT or a pass or two dropped or maybe even the Butler fumble but overall I'd not claim the weather was the determinant of the outcome.

The weather had little to do with Janarion Grant's kick return TD - that was poor ST play as numerous of the Lions should have got hands-on Grant.

The Bombers were the better team on the day.

I look at the Lions in that '94 WF vs Wally Buono and Doug Flutie's Stamps where Flutie hands were frozen yet from the Ray Alexander blocked FG kick to the Danny McManus final TD toss to Darren Flutie - that had to be the finest cold weather football I've ever seen.

I personally like not being in the outdoors as I do recall many cold,damp nights outdoors at Empire where if the Lions weren't winning they'd be exiting to the parking lots and buses early and a Grey Cup in 1971 with the Stamps and Argos I was at where it was shockingly wet and cold.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Prairie fans who claim to embrace the winter elements are the ones lobbying Randy Ambrosie to move the season up even further. If they have their way, the Grey Cup would be played at the end of October or start of November. I’d much rather keep the traditional November playoff schedule, and just increase the number of all-weather stadiums.