Lions vs. Bombers Oct. 15, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Saturday's final regular-season home game against Winnipeg is billed as Fan Appreciation Night at B.C. Place, but it can also be called a battle of the backups. With Winnipeg having clinched first place last week, QB Zach Collaros won't play. Instead backup Dru Brown, who has thrown only 7 passes this year, will get his first career start. Vernon Adams is expected to start at quarterback again for the Lions but according to Farhan Lalji, head coach Rick Campbell said Thursday that there's a "reasonable chance" Nathan Rourke returns before the end of the regular season in two weeks.

Other Lions' regulars who will not play this week, according to Farhan, include Lucky Whitehead, Phil Norman, Obum Gwacham, Josh Banks and Jalon Edwards-Cooper.

Walt67
Starter

So Burnham is not listed - will he be back?
I also wonder if Collaros will see some playing time in the two remaining games against BC to avoid the "rust factor" in the playoffs.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

An absolute must win to keep a playoff home game hopes alive. They catch a break with Collaros & others sitting this one out but are the Lions healthy enough to take advantage?

I count 5 regular starters out on offence: Rourke, Mackie, Burnham, Whitehead, Norman.
Another 2 on defence: Breaux & Gwacham then Edwards-Cooper who was replacing Breaux.
Maybe we will see week 1 starter Tyneil Cooper back on the roster at corner. Hopefully Mauger too as I never understand why they don’t dress an extra American DB.

They are hyping something of significance and now my guess is hosting the 2024 Grey Cup since Randy is in town.

Just grind out a win please and get Cottoy way more involved in the passing game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jarell Broxton gets his first start of the season at left guard for the injured Phil Norman. On defence, Woody Baron gets his first start as a Lion at nose tackle for the injured Josh Banks. Tyneil Cooper gets his second start at Delvin Breaux’s cornerback spot, which had been filled recently by Jalon Edwards-Cooper. Miles Fox is added as a rotational D-lineman to back up Baron.

Lions’ depth chart and roster

The Bombers have made 7 roster changes for this game, including resting QB Zach Collaros and O-linemen Jermarcus Hardrick and Stanley Bryant.
David
Team Captain

The front office has been doing its best to really hype this contest. Not only can season ticket holders invite a friend for $5, but the club also featured a "countdown" to an announcement revealed today: a return to the popular gun-metal 3rd uniforms for this game.

There will be a couple of tweaks. Gone is the paw logo on the pants, replaced by the retro roaring lion from the 1966 Woodward's Quarterback Club logo patch. Also, the club will continue with the Indigenous helmet logo, something I think will look very sharp with this uniform but I don't want to see it overused.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:25 am
The front office has been doing its best to really hype this contest. Not only can season ticket holders invite a friend for $5, but the club also featured a "countdown" to an announcement revealed today: a return to the popular gun-metal 3rd uniforms for this game.

There will be a couple of tweaks. Gone is the paw logo on the pants, replaced by the retro roaring lion from the 1966 Woodward's Quarterback Club logo patch. Also, the club will continue with the Indigenous helmet logo, something I think will look very sharp with this uniform but I don't want to see it overused.

DH :cool:
Up to now, I’ve liked everything the Lions have done to market the team this year but I hate the gun-metal uniforms with a passion. Black numbers on blackish jerseys are almost impossible to read, even from my seat in the second row. I want to see who is who to follow the game, and that ability is being ripped away from fans.
almo89
Legend

The return of the 3rd jersey is great. I wish the numbers were orange, but they still look great. The QB club logo on the pants is a nice touch. I would like to se that logo on the helmet in the future when they wear these. Kind of annoyed that these jerseys are only available via auction.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:09 pm
The return of the 3rd jersey is great. I wish the numbers were orange, but they still look great. The QB club logo on the pants is a nice touch. I would like to see that logo on the helmet in the future when they wear these. Kind of annoyed that these jerseys are only available via auction.
Yes, orange numbers on that jersey!

Collaros will end up playing again before the playoffs for sure to avoid the proverbial rustiness. I thought last game they should have got him out of there sooner as that lead was pretty safe and their backups can run the same running plays as Buck was calling for Collaros.

Bombers should never forget Kevin Glenn's injury that probably cost them a Grey Cup.

Even the Bombers' Dru Brown has only passed some 7 times he and Prokup have shown positive signs they can be good CFL QBs - none of which means a lot until they get to play regularly.

Guys with lots more experience like Dane Evans and Nick Arbuckle who have played well have struggled when they're the main guy at QB.

Much of that is likely the coaching, schemes and play calling they're in versus tossed into situations where the play calling isn't carefully crafted for their skills and experience levels.

When you hear coaches talk of speaking to their QB about what they want called to simplify things it makes you wonder why that isn't part of every game plan.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Did anyone notice the “gun-metal” jerseys look blue, not black? That’s even more embarrassing for a game against the Blue Bombers.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

almo89 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:09 pm
Kind of annoyed that these jerseys are only available via auction.
Hmm...I have Jabar Westerman's gun metal game worn helmet from the previous rendition but no game worn gun metal jersey.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:31 pm
Did anyone notice the “gun-metal” jerseys look blue, not black? That’s even more embarrassing for a game against the Blue Bombers.

I was thinking they looked like a lighter shade of very dark grey which gun metal really is as opposed to black. And what does one use to refurbish the metal on a gun? Blueing. ;)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The "pressure" is really on the Lions defence tonight. Most of the key guys the Bombers are sitting are on offence — namely Collaros and three of their starting offensive linemen: tackles Bryant and Hardwick along with guard Neufeld.
The entire Bombers offensive line will look different from last week. Geoff Gray moves from left guard to left tackle, Chris Kolankowski moves from centre to left guard, Michael Couture starts at centre, rookie Liam Dobson makes his first career start at right guard and right tackle Eric Lofton makes his first start since 2019 (with Edmonton).
BC's defence has to dominate the line of scrimmage with so many changes.

With 4 starters out besides Rourke, not counting on a lot of points at all from the Lions offence. The Bombers are starting 11 Americans on defence
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lots of Bombers around the 30 yard line. Operation Blue ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great opening drive
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great return. Great drive and great start! Let’s hope the Bombers are in a generous mood tonight