1960's stadium announcer?

BC Lions History and Discussion, CFL and BC Lions Collectibles

Moderator: Team Captains

Walt67
Starter

Does anyone remember the name of the wonderfully dry and straight-forward Empire Stadium announcer who worked the games in the glory days before we needed DJs and blaring music between every single play? I was struck by his voice from my first night in the Woodward's QB club.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Walt67 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:12 pm
Does anyone remember the name of the wonderfully dry and straight-forward Empire Stadium announcer who worked the games in the glory days before we needed DJs and blaring music between every single play? I was struck by his voice from my first night in the Woodward's QB club.

If you could find someone with an old game program, the PA Announcer will be named there. This is an article from the Vancouver Sun with old programs from that era.
https://vancouversun.com/sports/footbal ... emorabilia

I keep thinking for some reason that the PA Announcer was named Bill and taught/coached football at Killarney secondary.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dug out my 1968 game magazine. There is no mention of the PA announcer. Could it be Bill Surplus ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:03 pm
Dug out my 1968 game magazine. There is no mention of the PA announcer. Could it be Bill Surplus ? Back then the magazine cost 50 cents.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:04 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:03 pm
Dug out my 1968 game magazine. There is no mention of the PA announcer. Could it be Bill Surplus ? Back then the magazine cost 50 cents.
It was Bill Surphilis for a while at old Empire. Someone found that and I thought that person posted it on this thread - but it must have been posted elsewhere. Surphlis was an original BC Lion director and PA announcer but I'm not sure nor was the person who found the name sure of the years.

I thought I posted something confirming that was the Bill S... I was trying to recall.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy