O'Connor's status?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Walt67
Starter

The Lions made big news with the VA signing this week, a sign that O'Connor may not be available for a while. As we approach a week since the injury, is there any word on the UBC product's injury and a timeline for his return?
He looked good on his first series last week and as a new starter I wanted to see more of him before passing judgement.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

That was a thunderous tackle. Borderline roughing. In my opinion. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions return to practice on Saturday but we may not get an official injury report until Monday.
Walt67
Starter

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:50 pm
That was a thunderous tackle. Borderline roughing. In my opinion. BB
Given both the vulnerability and value of QBs, you can kind of understand why the Zebras are quick to throw Roughing the Passer flags.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I plan on going to Monday’s full practice. Will be interesting to see who is taking the majority of the snaps and how the Lions intend to tweak their ratio. Farhan thinks it might just be what they did on the fly last Friday: the combo of Butler/Scarfone or Mackie/Hatcher. They will have to run Mackie a few times just to keep defences honest
Walt67
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:45 pm
I plan on going to Monday’s full practice. Will be interesting to see who is taking the majority of the snaps and how the Lions intend to tweak their ratio. Farhan thinks it might just be what they did on the fly last Friday: the combo of Butler/Scarfone or Mackie/Hatcher. They will have to run Mackie a few times just to keep defences honest
Are those practices open to the public? And if so, when do they start? (I remember the days you could see practices at Central Park)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I dropped by prior to the last game and while I stood on the north side, it didn't seem like they let anybody inside the fence like I've seen when Buono and Claybrooks were HC's. You can still what's going on.

I'm guessing that this is a Covid situation to keep players and fans separate.

Notes: All post-practice availability will be conducted in person in 2022. Media members should plan gear set up accordingly for interviews to be done at a distance of at least six feet. Masks are required for any interviews done at a closer distance. Upon arrival, members of the media will be directed to a designated area to watch practice. ENG camera operators are permitted to film from various locations.

Practice Schedule posted weekly:

Saturday, September 3

Practice: 11:00 am-12:15 pm

Media availability: following practice

Sunday, September 4

Practice: 11:00-11:30 am

Monday, September 5

Practice: 12:30-1:55 pm

Tuesday, September 6

Practice: 12:00- 1:25 pm

Wednesday, September 7

Practice: 12:00- 1:25 pm

Thursday, September 8

Players and coaches travel to Montreal

Friday, September 9

BC Lions at Montreal Alouettes
Kickoff: 4:30 pm, Stade de Molson
TV: TSN, ESPN+
Radio: AM730, Lions Audio Network

Saturday, September 10-Sunday, September 11

Players off: no availability scheduled
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Walt67
Starter

Thanks - now that the team is back practicing it will be good to get some injury updates and reports on which QBs are getting the most reps. I'm also curious how much coverage Donny and Dhali will devote to the Lions as they return before that hockey team hits the ice, particularly now that the over-talked issue of J T Miller's future has now been put to rest.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I noticed Adams, Pipkin and Thomson in uniform In practice videos posted by the Lions on Saturday. EDIT: I didn’t see O’Connor in the first video but I did in the second.

Walt67
Starter

Great job from Baker. I noticed the Province on Sunday (after the practice) had two full pages on J. T. Miller and not a sentence on the 8-2 Lions. Again, finding specific info on O'Connor is challenging.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It may sound callous but finding out O'Connor's status is not a priority for me. He was visible in that 2nd clip B.C.Fan posted so we know he's at least participating in practice in some capacity. BC didn't give up a 1st round pick for Adams with the idea of him being an insurance backup. I expect unless O'Connor is absolutely 100% healthy he will go onto the 1G list for Montreal and Adams is on the fast track to start Friday or at minimum be the starter for the balance of the season once he's deemed ready to take on the task. With 5 days of practice this week plus the time he would have had to study the playbook, film and learn terminology prior to Saturday I'd be far more surprised if Adams doesn't start in Montreal than if he does.

As a side note the Lions injury report for this week is now set up on their website ready to be filled in starting with today's practice. So we should soon know.
https://www.bclions.com/injuryreport/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I agree with Hambone that Adams will likely start in Montreal and O’Connor will be added to the 1-game injured list. Adams was listed as a full participant in practice Monday while O’Connor was listed as a limited participant.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I see O'Connor's injury is listed as adductor.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Steve Ewen says Pipkin was getting the majority of first-team reps at practice Monday.

Lions aren't in hurry-up offence with QB Vernon Adams, who will get a chance to learn the ropes
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Matt Baker and Nik Kowalski discussed the Lions’ injuries and the acquisition of Vernon Adams with co-GM Neil McEvoy on the team’s 1st and Now Podcast. With an American quarterback expected to start this week, one of the possible ratio adjustments they mentioned is starting Andrew Peirson at left guard in place of Phil Norman.

https://www.bclions.com/1standnow/