Season opener: Lions vs. Elks June 11, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CrazyCanuck89
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:07 pm
Any of those D line backups ever play O?
Most of the time, they will get a defensive tackle to put on a jersey with an offensive lineman number.

Sewell has done it, same with Thomas, I've seen Laing do it before.
KnightofCydonia
Starter

Can't be at the game but am cheering from afar. Happy for all the fans able to experience the 30,000+ fan-filled stadium later today! Here's hoping for a big win in front of the home crowd... I'd love to think that will reinvigorate some interest in our Leos.
Foxhound
Starter

It's very nice to know that pre game day ticket sales are brisk and a big crowd is anticipated. Hopefully the Lions don't disappoint and at least one local Canadian QB shines in the game. After Nathan Rourke passes for four TD's, maybe Michael O'Connor will come in on a short yardage situation but will pass instead for a TD on a gadget play!

:cool:
Last edited by Foxhound on Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radically Canadian!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:25 am
Certainly the cost of those upper seats is attractive.... Knowing myself, if I sat upstairs where it feels like you can reach out and touch the big screen, I would likely end up watching the game on the screen instead of the field....and that's a first step on the slippery slope to staying home and watching home games on TV. I'll stick to my seats behind the bench and try as best as I can to watch only replays on the big screen...
In the 80s and 90s I had season tickets in the upper lower deck and while I needed binocs to see the Lions on the bench real clearly I never felt far from the action as that top down perspective gives you a broader view of the entire plays developing that you don't see on the TV broadcast given their choice of shots.

I'm in the midst of a kitchen remodel or I'd have snapped up tickets but with my wife not home I can't leave as the tilers will be here today.

The Lions appear to have two genuine QBs who can play and it seems a renewed feel in the team and the city.

Great to see but games so far this reg season suggest everyone's improved.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:50 pm

Dumb as a plank roster management IMO; never want to see players get injured, but having only one back-up O-Lineman at a 5 man position group is moronic IMO, and we have seen at least 2 O-linemen go out of games with injury in plenty of CFL games.
Plenty? Or once or at most twice across an 81 game season? Last year BC dressed 7 OL for every game. The only time the 7th, Peirson, stepped onto the field was for the post game hand shakes. Knevel as the 6th OL did get called on a several times to fill in for injuries but for a lot of games only came in as a tight end on short yardage situations. There are risks of course but taking calculated risks is all part of assembling the jigsaw puzzle that is the CFL game roster.

The old law of physics whereby for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction can apply. Packer is the only real and healthy option and I'm not sure he's ready yet. It didn't look like he ever progressed past 3rd unit reps in camp. To activate him as a "break glass only in case of emergency" option likely means sitting a backup LB who will be getting special teams reps on most if not all units.

For Campbell he has to decide if it's worth dressing a 7th OL he hopes he doesn't have to use at the expense of a player from his special teams units who will be playing. I guess we'll find out in a few hours if he gets burnt by his choice.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Foxhound
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:13 pm
Upper deck open! First time since 2015 season I think. Well done Amar Doman! And just $20 (plus $9 in TM fees) to sit midfield up there is a helluva a bargain
KnightofCydonia wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:19 am
Happy for all the fans able to experience the 30,000+ fan-filled stadium later today!
What accounts for the resurgence of interest in the Lions? Simply fan friendly ticket prices plus the Lions having two "home town" boys at QB or are other factors at work?

:hmm:
Radically Canadian!
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Ravi wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:21 pm

Can Doman give Larry Tanenbaum a call and give him some much-needed advice?
Have a look at some of the discussion on the Argofans board. The natives are restless there and wishing they had someone like Doman rather than MLSE, who could afford to buy every team in the league three times over but are essentially acting like they don't even know the Argos exist.

(lifelong Argos fan here, who's excited about the team's prospects this year but despairing they'll ever have anyone care)
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:11 pm
OV:54-40 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:50 pm

Dumb as a plank roster management IMO; never want to see players get injured, but having only one back-up O-Lineman at a 5 man position group is moronic IMO, and we have seen at least 2 O-linemen go out of games with injury in plenty of CFL games.
Plenty? Or once or at most twice across an 81 game season? Last year BC dressed 7 OL for every game. The only time the 7th, Peirson, stepped onto the field was for the post game hand shakes. Knevel as the 6th OL did get called on a several times to fill in for injuries but for a lot of games only came in as a tight end on short yardage situations. There are risks of course but taking calculated risks is all part of assembling the jigsaw puzzle that is the CFL game roster.

The old law of physics whereby for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction can apply. Packer is the only real and healthy option and I'm not sure he's ready yet. It didn't look like he ever progressed past 3rd unit reps in camp. To activate him as a "break glass only in case of emergency" option likely means sitting a backup LB who will be getting special teams reps on most if not all units.

For Campbell he has to decide if it's worth dressing a 7th OL he hopes he doesn't have to use at the expense of a player from his special teams units who will be playing. I guess we'll find out in a few hours if he gets burnt by his choice.
Just FYI - several times in the past few seasons, we have had to see CFL D-linemen rush to pull on an offensive line # jersey and go in as emergency replacement for injured O-linemen. Sorry, you may feel it is good roster management to have 4 back up LBs or safeties who might make a tackle or block on STs; but to me it is totally intolerable to have only one back-up dressed at large, very important position group with 5 starters = dumb, myopic, playing with fire (and so is dressing only one dual kicker with nobody with kicking skills to back-up). Not that long ago - plenty of CFL teams had regular starters play lots o STs (Mike O'Shea was often the leading Argo ST tackler along with leader of the D) I get that some current CFL coaching staffs don't feel that way and much prefer an extra ST body, but good for them - don't expect me to agree with CFL stupidity. :hypno:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

What a way to kick off a season! Epic!
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Disturber
Champion

:rockin: Touchdown!
Go Lions!
Disturber
Champion

Good run! :beauty:
Go Lions!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

3rd touchdown for Butler
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

3rd touchdown for Butler
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Against Edmonton, at least, any questions about the Lions running game have been answered.
KnightofCydonia
Starter

4th TD for Butler! Incredible!

And Rourke is already 14/15 for 159 yards and 2 TDs, if I heard that correctly