Lions at Tiger-Cats Nov. 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:52 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Way to go Reilly, throw into 6 man coverage
Uh. It was a Hail Mary on the last play of the game. Any receiver in the end zone would have six players near it.
I appreciate that. Lions should have at the very least another receiver in the vicinity for a possible tip ball. On the replay there was ONE receiver surrounded by 6 Ti-Cats
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Reilly 33-43 330 yards.

Offensive player of the week? Just so typical of this season and misleading.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There are many reasons the Lions lost this game but the inability of the defence to stop Hamilton’s running game in the second half was the biggest. The B.C. front 7 isn’t tough enough, and it’s been that way all season. The decision to go with a lineup of CFL rookies and play a zone-heavy defence with no QB pressure has been the team’s biggest weakness all year. The Lions couldn’t get a stop or a turnover when they needed one.

Aside from the inexcusable delay of game
penalty that killed a promising drive at the end of the first half and allowed the TiCats to drive the field for the game’s first touchdown, Michael Reolly and the offence moved the ball well. Reilly was 33 of 43 (76.7%) for 330 yards but no TDs and one INT. Lucky Whitehead continued to be the Lions’ biggest offensive weapon with 9 catches for 98 yards. Bryan Burnham had 7 catches and Shaq Johnson and James Butler had 6 each. Butler had a solid 90 yards from scrimmage and a TD. The Lions had a nearly 6-minute advantage in time of possession.

Coaching, special teams and offensive and defensive lines appear to be the team’s biggest weaknesses. I don’t expect a change of head coach or quarterback in the offseason but it’s hard to reshape the team’s identity and reignite the fan base without significant changes elsewhere.
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:12 pm
There are many reasons the Lions lost this game but the inability of the defence to stop Hamilton’s running game in the second half was the biggest. The B.C. front 7 isn’t tough enough, and it’s been that way all season. The decision to go with a lineup of CFL rookies and play a zone-heavy defence with no QB pressure has been the team’s biggest weakness all year. The Lions couldn’t get a stop or a turnover when they needed one.

Aside from the inexcusable delay of game
penalty that killed a promising drive at the end of the first half and allowed the TiCats to drive the field for the game’s first touchdown, Michael Reolly and the offence moved the ball well. Reilly was 33 of 43 (76.7%) for 330 yards but no TDs and one INT. Lucky Whitehead continued to be the Lions’ biggest offensive weapon with 9 catches for 98 yards. Bryan Burnham had 7 catches and Shaq Johnson and James Butler had 6 each. Butler had a solid 90 yards from scrimmage and a TD. The Lions had a nearly 6-minute advantage in time of possession.

Coaching, special teams and offensive and defensive lines appear to be the team’s biggest weaknesses. I don’t expect a change of head coach or quarterback in the offseason but it’s hard to reshape the team’s identity and reignite the fan base without significant changes elsewhere.
This team has gone the way of the trenches every game the past two seasons. It’s frustrating because on paper our offensive line should be very good. Ryker can’t seem to stay healthy and for whatever reason the line as a whole cannot open holes. I don’t know if it’s a scheme issue or what. We have one of the best QBs in the league and one of the most dangerous WR corps… with no rushing attack and very little time to utilize them.

On defense our secondary and line backing corp have played very well, but our defensive line gets very little pressure and allows massive rushing holes and lineman to get to the second level way too often.

Special teams and kicking in particular is the difference between us being in the running for the playoffs and sitting at home this season.
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

Well that answers our question about the time it took to get plays in.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Mike Reilly and the inept B.C. Lions should know that the rules call for a team that is having electronic communication problems to notify the Ref, who will then act to disable the other teams communications so as to maintain a level electronic playing field for both teams.

Not knowing the rules is unacceptable but not surprising given the losing culture of this team.
yukonlion
All Star

Lucky Whitehead standing all alone on the goal line on that last play. As bad as our Oline is, our offensive scheme is terrible. runs up the middle and drop back passes. Almost no variety. Very easy to defend. It was like this in 2019 as well... this is the style of O that Reilly likes, as they said, he designs the offence with the OC... ugh..
David
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:02 pm
Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:55 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:48 pm
Did anyone REALLY expect the Lions to win ?
Nope. The only saving grace is that now we are out and maybe the kid can play
I hope that is the game plan for next home game. We need to see something different from the disappointing same old stuff.

To misquote Firesign Theatre, "is that the same old stuff or the old same stuff "
I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing Rourke next game. If his shoulder were healthy we would have at least seen him on sneaks tonight. I think he was only going to play if it was an emergency.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
ziggy
Legend

I’ve been a Lions fans since the 60’s and a Canucks fan since the 70’s. Both my teams lost tonight, but at least one was exciting to watch.
tedbear
Starter

Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:55 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:48 pm
Did anyone REALLY expect the Lions to win ?
Nope. The only saving grace is that now we are out and maybe the kid can play
Yeah the kid hands the ball off better our running game will improve :dizzy:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions aren’t out of the playoff race if they beat Calgary next week so you can be sure that Reilly will play as long as necessary.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What is the point of dressing Rourke if he can't play ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:14 pm

And also makes a case for when these things fail that the QB call his own plays. They should drill that just like thec2 min drill.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:08 am
Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:14 pm

And also makes a case for when these things fail that the QB call his own plays. They should drill that just like thec2 min drill.
Yeah that is tough to do for a whole game though. There is a reason coordinators like to sit up high, they can see things field level just can’t. I don’t get how Campbell didn’t require Hamilton to turn off their headsets though.
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:05 pm
Luck1sOnOurSid3 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Way to go Reilly, throw into 6 man coverage
Uh. It was a Hail Mary on the last play of the game. Any receiver in the end zone would have six players near it.
I appreciate that. Lions should have at the very least another receiver in the vicinity for a possible tip ball. On the replay there was ONE receiver surrounded by 6 Ti-Cats
Yeah no idea why Burnham and Rhymes weren’t by each other in the end zone. Two of our biggest receivers.