Blue Bombers at Lions Oct. 1, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

tedbear
Starter

The Sky is falling. lol

We are losing to the best team. Just like everyone else is.

Get a grip everyone.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

49 seconds left and taking a knee. Unreal
Rammer
Team Captain

Bombers are best in the league, they won every battle tonight. Simply can't compete at their level. However the Lions didn't allow the Bombers to take the knee of victory, they took the knee of defeat. What team does that with the backup in,?

That was a shameful end, just ask Burhan.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Reg18
Starter

The season that looked so promising a few games back now looks like a *poop* storm to quote Ricky. And Randy. I wonder if we will win another game. . isnitbthe offensive strategy or the execution and whats with our defense?
Reg18
Starter

A cute edit but you got my drift. It !ooks bleak and tge ball is in Campbells court now. Do we have enough talent to win or is it leadership?
David
Team Captain

How many times have I said to friends, "check out the Lions, they have a good team this year" only to wear egg on my face. Every time we generate a bit of buzz, we lose. Last week in a choke job, this week in a blowout.

Not thrilled with Campbell's coaching decisions. Last week, he kept his challenge flags and made a bone-headed decision not to go for two. This week, we had a chance to make a statement early in the first quarter by going for a major, knowing that's what it's going to take to beat a team like the Bombers....and we kick a field goal. Then, when the Bombers went up, 20-6, we elect to have the Bombers kick off to us instead of taking the ball on the 35. Sure, we only "lost" 8 yards on the play, but the Bombers' kicker had been nailing the ball down to the 5 all game and we had no return game to speak of. What made Campbell think we were going to start with better field position than the 35?

As for taking a knee three times to end the game, that was an embarrassment. Go out fighting. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Didn't expect the Lions to win tonight..........and they didn't. What I didn't expect was the complete domination by the Bombers. Offensive line was an embarrassment. Defence was pathetic. Receivers were opened all night. Defensive backs laying off the receivers afraid of getting beat deep. The good thing the Lions are getting their 2nd bye this week. They're going to need it to heal from the mauling they received tonight.
Last edited by TheLionKing on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Well said LionKing. Was not expecting them to win either but that felt a whole lot like 2019 tonight where they were simply overmatched in so many areas and you wonder how the recruiting can be so lopsided.
No doubt they missed Sayles & Hardin in the secondary. The drop off to Wilson was substantial and easy to see why Cioffi lost his starting job too.
But the obvious weaknesses were even more magnified tonight by the league’s top team. My greatest concern is what is being done to address them? They seem to attempt the same running plays each game with the same guys trying to execute them. Same goes for the lack of pass rush.

Now their most dynamic player could be sidelined for a significant time.

After the devastating Riders loss this feels like a bit of a snowball. Bye couldn’t come at a better time and Calgary is looking like a must win now or a crushing 3-game homestand and the next road game in Winnipeg.

As David alluded it felt like the club was getting traction again in this market and then a couple of forgetful home performances for different reasons.
aklawitter
All Star

16 yards rushing woof
maxlion
Legend

All the bad signs that have been there all season showed up in this game. It seems that the wins against weaker eastern opponents wasn't a true measure of the team.

The team really needs to do something about the offensive line if it wants to be competitive in the west. No run game, not very good pass protection. What's going on? Is it coaching, personnel, offensive scheme? Kelly Bates seemed to get a free pass after stepping in during the 2019 debacle. Hunter Stewart, Chungh, and Figueroa are former all stars. Have they slipped or are other players bringing them down? Cooper and Butler haven't shown any signs of being able to break through the traffic. Would John White have done better? Is the offensive scheme too reliant on the big play?

The defensive line has the opposite problem--can't get pressure, can't stop the run. Having Leroy Blugh step down during training camp couldn't have helped. Not sure that having almost all rookies on the d line was wise in the circumstances.

These problems were amplified against the excellent Bombers lines, but have been there all season. We might be good enough for a playoff spot, but won't go far unless we can find a way to improve on the offensive and defensive lines.
Last edited by maxlion on Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxlion
Legend

The secondary has been pretty good all year, but Bejour Wilson was badly outplayed on the 2 earlier TDs. I guess that shows how good Hardin has been this year. He and Edwards-Cooper look like seasoned vets.
maxlion
Legend

One last comment: I generally like Rick Campbell's approach as a coach, but wasn't a fan of putting a one-handed Whitehead back in the game. It seemed clear that he couldn't use his right hand to catch. It was time to give the backups a chance to get some game action.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was not surprised by the outcome or even the play of the Lions although I thought they would be a bit more productive than they were.

Take away the big play (Lucky's injury made it easy) and the Lions have no running game or quick release short passing plays, so they are toast on O.

Too many rookies and injuries on D, so again I didn't expect them to contain the Bombers.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:38 pm
In 2 games jolted back to reality. We are bad.

But, a good start on next year. Which is where we are now
Right now it feels like there is Winnipeg then the rest. Saskatchewan might be alone in the next tier. After that I think there are the Argos, Als and Ticats. Question is do the Lions deserve to be in that group or lumped in with Stamps, Elks and REDBLACKS?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:44 pm
Lion Guy wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:38 pm
In 2 games jolted back to reality. We are bad.

But, a good start on next year. Which is where we are now
Right now it feels like there is Winnipeg then the rest. Saskatchewan might be alone in the next tier. After that I think there are the Argos, Als and Ticats. Question is do the Lions deserve to be in that group or lumped in with Stamps, Elks and REDBLACKS?
If your D struggles to stop the run and your O can't run the ball and doesn't have a varied enough passing game to compensate, then yeah you are bottom tier.

On the bright side, the Lions have a lot of rookies and young players that are only going to get better....eventually.