Roughriders at Lions, September 24, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I don't mean to hijack the gameday thread for this week or jump too far ahead of ourselves, but next week's clash at home against the Roughriders has the potential to be a big draw. The question is, are the Lions restricted to 12,500 fans? I'm sure they could draw over 20,000 fans quite easily if there was an easing of restrictions.

In advance of National Day for Truth and Reconciliation (Sept. 30), the Lions have partnered with Indigenous artist Corrine Hunt to create a wonderful logo adaptation for the Sept. 24 "Orange Shirt" game against the Riders. The first 10,000 fans will receive a FREE T-shirt with this emblazoned on it.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

Yes, Dr. Henry said last week it will be "late Fall, early Winter" before capacity restrictions are likely to be loosened/lifted. Even with vaccination card requirement in effect, there has to be a dramatic decrease in positive cases, but most importantly hospitalizations, before this will happen. Lions/WhiteCaps remain capped at 12,500 and Canucks will start the season capped at 9,500 .

Of course, if the 7 day rolling daily case average goes down to 50 per day changes can happen quickly.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I really love that indigenous logo. A few years back I was dealing with a real estate lawyer up here in PG who was 1st Nations and also an artist who designed things like rings. I often thought about asking him what it might run to get a ring made up with an indigenous style Lions logo.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

More detail of the shirt here:
https://www.bclions.com/next-home-game/

I'm of two minds about the logo. It actually does look a lot fiercer than the current "stoned lion" . (One of the reasons I like the 1978 Lion I use for my avatar--the colors make it more menacing). The native art version is much better than the 1967 "fierce" Lion (apologies to those who are attached to that--it was gone long before I became a fan and just looks so dated.)

In this digital age, I wonder if the intricate detail would translate well. Most modernized logos tend towards being more minimalist, not more complicated.

I doubt whether we are likely to get an updated logo, but you never know--we have a new owner who is very aware of the need to be more appealing to all ages. We have a logo that is not beloved due to being around from day one of the franchise. Tradition is not a reason to keep it as is--in fact the 1989 logo came into existence on the death of community ownership. The last place Mr. Doman should seek advice is us old diehards.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The Lions have hit it out of the park with this. A shame there can’t be more than 12,500 in the stands but I get it even with the vaccine passport.

I remember seeing the orange shirts in the stands at Mosiac when the Riders honoured the residential school survivors in their season opener and thought then it would be a natural promotion for the Lions.
Clearly the wheels were in motion for something much bigger.
Having the patience to wait until a week before Truth & Reconciliation Day and work in the revamped logo, complete with First Nation members and Horgan and company was simply brilliant.

Definitely sense a lot of good things about this franchise on and off the field right now. It’s been a long time coming!
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:55 pm
The Lions have hit it out of the park with this. A shame there can’t be more than 12,500 in the stands but I get it even with the vaccine passport.
I guess this is where we differ. I don't get it. With a vaccine passport required before entry and masks required, what is the difference between 12,500 and 20,000 fans on hand?

As for this logo becoming our permanent one BC 1988, that would be pandering. I prefer the idea of having it prominently featured around an annual "Orange Shirt" game on or before September 30. I know BCFAN will not be too keen on this idea, but that logo would look very cool on our gunmetal 3rd uniform (black matte) helmets. But I suppose the whole idea is for the home team to be wearing orange shirts that day...

Nothing wrong with our current logo. Let's keep it as is. While a recent 3 Down Nation poll of CFL logos placed us 5th overall among the 9 teams (there's no accounting for taste), it was the least polarizing among respondents with 1-point and 5-point scores accounting for just 10.1 percent of overall votes. 46.2 percent of CFL fans gave it a 3, which was the highest % any logo received at any point level.

https://3downnation.com/2021/06/20/the- ... r-readers/

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:58 am
Nothing wrong with our current logo. Let's keep it as is. While a recent 3 Down Nation poll of CFL logos placed us 5th overall among the 9 teams (there's no accounting for taste), it was the least polarizing among respondents with 1-point and 5-point scores accounting for just 10.1 percent of overall votes. 46.2 percent of CFL fans gave it a 3, which was the highest % any logo received at any point level.

https://3downnation.com/2021/06/20/the- ... r-readers/

That mid-range 3 score is what bothers me--it's inoffensive. I always remember this excellent 2011 thread--I read it before I joined this site in 2013.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19749&hilit=2012+uniforms
Cromartie's post at the bottom of page 1 and his term "stoned lion" stuck with me--it looks like the lion has been tranquilized. He used it to describe both versions, including the 1978 color scheme. To me the 1978 is less slack-jawed looking. I agree with what he said back then--the original Lion over the football is the best, but too big to put on a helmet. For that the Paw was good, but again doesn't convey fierceness.

The indigenous version succeeds in getting the fierceness back.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I like the logo but frankly I am confused. How many times in recent years have we heard those words about "expropriation of culture"? I mean if we take those charges seriously, what conclusion are we to draw here? We have heard it in reference to the Seahawks, the Thunderbirds etc. etc. Is it okay as long as aboriginals get paid for it? Is that the conclusion that we come to or will there be elements that say all of it is offside? I mean on the face of things, a free aboriginal themed T-shirt give away for a sports franchise sounds exactly like the kind of thing someone might get upset about. I personally like aboriginal art but I have almost gotten to the point where buying it or displaying it feels a little like grave robbing. If you're not aboriginal that somehow you are being disrespectful. I'm not being flippant here but am I alone in wondering what's OK and what isn't? I definitely think a permanent logo would go offside.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:30 pm
I like the logo but frankly I am confused. How many times in recent years have we heard those words about "expropriation of culture"? I mean if we take those charges seriously, what conclusion are we to draw here? We have heard it in reference to the Seahawks, the Thunderbirds etc. etc. Is it okay as long as aboriginals get paid for it? Is that the conclusion that we come to or will there be elements that say all of it is offside? I mean on the face of things, a free aboriginal themed T-shirt give away for a sports franchise sounds exactly like the kind of thing someone might get upset about. I personally like aboriginal art but I have almost gotten to the point where buying it or displaying it feels a little like grave robbing. If you're not aboriginal that somehow you are being disrespectful. I'm not being flippant here but am I alone in wondering what's OK and what isn't? I definitely think a permanent logo would go offside.
https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/15 ... ndigenous/
The Canucks experience with the 1997 Orca logo that uses Haida elements (but no indigenous involvement in it's production) is an example of offside now. It was the Holtby Swedish designed mask that brought this to the forefront. The current ownership of the Canucks have otherwise been very respectful of their culture. (Personally, I have never liked the Orca logo, but not due to this issue).
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:58 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:55 pm
I guess this is where we differ. I don't get it. With a vaccine passport required before entry and masks required, what is the difference between 12,500 and 20,000 fans on hand?
This could be encouraging news for those who think we deserve more freedoms as a result of the vaccine card restricting attendance at sports events. It is from a BCCDC online seminar for health care professionals. It is quite informative of future COVID policy direction, not the typical Dr Henry processed information release.
EDIT UPDATED LINK
https://www.squamishchief.com/highlight ... al-4341759
The most relevant part of the article for this topic:
Asked how long COVID-19 will threaten B.C., Gustafson said British Columbians will need to learn to live with the virus.
Even if the province can achieve significantly higher vaccination rates, the health official said the best we can hope for is that it will become an endemic disease like influenza.
In the meantime, more people need to get vaccinated.
“We’re still at a stage where it’s too risky to have natural infection because of its potential to overwhelm our hospitals and intensive care units,” said Vancouver Coastal Health's deputy chief medical health officer Dr. Mark Lysyshyn.
Testing, said Lysyshyn, needs to still be available in the near term.
But as Gustafson put it, such heightened surveillance will have an end date.
“We’re in a transition phase where our perception of the risk of COVID is causing as much destruction to society as COVID itself,” she said.
“We have focused solely on COVID-19 for so long. It is on BCCDC’s dashboard — with cases being the number one thing and I apologize for that.”
Another is that the most current mapping shows highest case levels--apart from the very high rates in the Downtown Eastside--are the lower density population areas closest to the Alberta border (with lowest vaccination rates). When the vaccine card was announced, it succeeded in knocking many of the hesitant off the fence (it will of course take time for the results to show--after the 2nd jabs about 6 weeks from now.)
http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/disease ... id-19/data
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have lots of question marks at receiver heading into Friday's game with the Riders. According to the official CFL injury reports, Bryan Burnham and Lemar Durant returned to practice in a limited capacity for both days of a short practice week. Keon Hatcher was also limited both days. Jevon Cottoy returned to practice Wednesday after missing Tuesday's session for non-football reasons.

RB/returner Chris Rainey and fellow special teamers Isaiah Guzylak-Messam and Jamie Harry all have hamstring injuries and haven't practised this week.

The Riders plan to start ex-Lion Brett Boyko at left tackle in place of Andrew Lauderdale (ankle). Boyko would be the third starter this season at that position due to injuries.

RIDERS, LIONS INJURY REPORT
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has suspended Lions' DB Garry Peters for this week's game for verbal verbal abuse and unacceptable behaviour toward doping officials. Rders' DE A.C. Leonard is also suspended for this game for the same reason.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/09/22/bcs-garry ... ers-fined/
David
Team Captain

Given the strength of our secondary, I fully expect Maas to employ the same game plan of quick hitters to the Riders' receivers. Get the ball out of Fajardo's hands.

Second, I think we will see a healthy dose of William Powell given the success of William Stanback. Until we can show that we can effectively stop the run, I think the Saskatchewans (Powell) and Winnipegs (Harris) will use this strategy to try to run the ball down our throats.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:34 pm
The CFL has suspended Lions' DB Garry Peters for this week's game for verbal verbal abuse and unacceptable behaviour toward doping officials. Rders' DE A.C. Leonard is also suspended for this game for the same reason.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/09/22/bcs-garry ... ers-fined/
Unreal! Lose basically an all-star corner for a huge divisional game. Given Gamboa has been 6-gamed will they go with a 4th national on defence with Hakeem Johnson or the practice roster route with 3 Americans available?
A big loss!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

J.J. Adams of The Province says Peters is expected to appeal his suspension and play on Friday.