Winnipeg at B.C. Lions June 15, 2019 Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's early in the week but we finally get a hint at how the Lions will line up against the Bombers in the season opener on Saturday, at least on the offensive line. Hunter Steward will play centre, where he took a lot of reps in the final week of training camp, while Brett Boyko will slide into the starting O-line with David Foucault. Just where they'll all line up is unclear. Boyko's practice reps with this unit in camp and preseason have been at right tackle while Foucault has moved from right tackle to left guard when Steward has played centre but I've seen a couple of reports that Boyko will play left guard, including this one from J.J. Adams of The Province:
B.C.’s offensive line is in a state of flux before Saturday’s season-opener against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at B.C. Place Stadium, but there is no shortage of confidence from the players comprising a unit that will average around 6-foot-6 and 315 pounds.

Hunter Steward, who was slotted in at left guard for almost all of the pre-season, looks to start the season at centre, with his guard spot taken by former NFLer Brett Boyko. Sukh Chung, the league’s top-paid offensive lineman, will occupy right guard, Figueroa at left tackle and right tackle possibly going to David Foucault.

“It’s going to be my first game playing centre, so it’ll be an experience; it’ll be fun,” said Steward, who joked he still lines up in a staggered stance, risking a fine from offensive line coach Bryan Chiu. “When I played guard, I always prided myself on knowing everything that’s going on anyways. Last year we had some injury issues, so a lot of the games I was making calls from guard anyways. I’m pretty comfortable making calls already, I feel like I know defences pretty well, I know schemes pretty well.”
Lions offensive line not feeling pressure of protecting CFL's highest-paid player
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:14 pm
“It’s going to be my first game playing centre, so it’ll be an experience; it’ll be fun,” said Steward, who joked he still lines up in a staggered stance, risking a fine from offensive line coach Bryan Chiu. “When I played guard, I always prided myself on knowing everything that’s going on anyways. Last year we had some injury issues, so a lot of the games I was making calls from guard anyways. I’m pretty comfortable making calls already, I feel like I know defences pretty well, I know schemes pretty well.”
Not surprised at Steward knowing all the calls. He has been one of the best OL in the league, even playing "out of position" at guard. He can be a very solidifying presence in the middle of the O Line. Low snaps? Not the biggest problem. High snaps are more scary. Ha ha

(One recalls Roger Staubach fielding bouncing snaps in the game featuring the Hail Mary to Drew Pearson.)

Go Hunter. Now Joel. On Bryan. Go Blitzen.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Reggiemac
Rookie

Nope, he s had lots of practise time the snaps should be good
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Reggiemac wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Hunter Steward may have had a lot of practice time snapping the ball, but not much game time. He did, however have a lot of game time experience calling out the blocking assignments last season for rookie centre Pierson. As the Lions most veteran O lineman, I expect him to get the snapping down pat now that it looks like he will start at centre.

Steward's O line coach, Brian Chiu is a former centre who is HoF bound, so Steward might be able to pick up a few tips from Chiu.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Reggiemac wrote:
how much practice has he had knowing he was about to be run over as soon as he snapped the ball?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
pennw
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:15 pm
Reggiemac wrote:
how much practice has he had knowing he was about to be run over as soon as he snapped the ball?
He's a pretty big boy , he should be able to handle it . Also has a couple of big guys right beside him to help out too .
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So the theory here is putting your 5 best o-lineman on the field to protect your franchise player ?

Pierson goes from projected starter at camp to perhaps not even on the active roster Saturday since Roy has to play. Talk about your stock taking a hit.

Centre and right tackle will definitely be under the microscope Saturday against a good Bombers pass rush but Chiu must like what he sees in Steward as a centre given his experience as a player.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:19 am
So the theory here is putting your 5 best o-lineman on the field to protect your franchise player ?

Pierson goes from projected starter at camp to perhaps not even on the active roster Saturday since Roy has to play. Talk about your stock taking a hit.

Centre and right tackle will definitely be under the microscope Saturday against a good Bombers pass rush but Chiu must like what he sees in Steward as a centre given his experience as a player.
I thought Pierson played admirably well last year pinch-hitting as a rookie in a very difficult position. Given he came to BC as an undrafted FA having been skipped over by all 9 clubs in the draft that would have to be considered a meteoric climb. What I didn't know was that perhaps Steward was doing a lot of the heavy lifting for him by calling the blocking assignments masking shortcomings in his abilities. As a former center new OLC Chiu may have determined his ceiling is not very high thus the shift to Steward. The coaches may see Pierson's ceiling as journeyman whereas Steward may have the upside to be all-star calibre. As for Steward playing "out of position" lest we forget Husband came to the CFL as a tackle who shifted to guard before finding a true calling at center. Ditto for Justin Sorenson. An inch or two doesn't mean a whole hill of beans for guys who are 6'6" and up but those two were taller than Steward.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 am
As for Steward playing "out of position" lest we forget Husband came to the CFL as a tackle who shifted to guard before finding a true calling at center. Ditto for Justin Sorenson. An inch or two doesn't mean a whole hill of beans for guys who are 6'6" and up but those two were taller than Steward.
Steward played left tackle in college. We put him at left guard. Now at centre. I would like to have seen him given a shot at the left tackle position early in his career here. (I seem to recall him getting playing time there prior to his injury.) But that time passed, and no complaints about Figueroa.

This fan thought Steward's work at guard was good. He certainly seems bright enough to manage the changes, and bright enough to make the calls for the O Line. It seems Chiu sees it that way. I like the move.

Steward was the starting left tackle at Liberty University.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:39 pm

Steward played left tackle in college. We put him at left guard. Now at centre. I would like to have seen him given a shot at the left tackle position early in his career here. (I seem to recall him getting playing time there prior to his injury.) But that time passed, and no complaints about Figueroa.
Steward did get a shot at LT early in BC. He was playing there as a rookie and was playing very well before the first foot injury. I recall one of his first games was against Saskatchewan. Depending on side of the field he would line up against either John Chick or Ricky Foley who were the Rider bookend DEs. I remember thinking it was going to be a long night for Kevin Glenn with those cagey veterans feasting on a rookie. Instead they were invisible that game leaving me thinking Steward was going to be a fixture at tackle for years to come. Then the foot injuries started. After starting 6 of the 7 games he played in his rookie season in 2014 he would only suit up for 3 games in his sophomore year after breaking his foot again in training camp. Perhaps it was the injuries and subsequent lack of dependability that caused them to move from him at tackle because they went back to Ol' Reliable Jovan Olafioye at LT in Hunter's 3rd season and shifted him inside to guard. I don't think it was lack of ability that pushed him inside but rather a fear of not being able to count on him at arguable the most important OL position. And having suffered the same injury in each of his first two years a coaching staff had to have major concerns that it could be a chronic issue.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes has written a fascinating column on Jevon Cottoy. Ed Hervey calls the former Langley Ram receiver the surprise of training camp, and I concur. But with every story written about his jump from junior football to starting receiver for the Lions, the praise grows and expectations rise. Here are some excerpts:
If there’s ever an example of why we have training camp, he’s the reason,” said Lions’ GM Ed Hervey. “Over time, he started to show he’s more than just a project. If there was a surprise at our camp, hands down it’s Jevon Cottoy.
One Lion staffer could be heard this week saying, “Enjoy him while you can. He’s going to be in the NFL in three years.”
˚It doesn’t surprise me at all,” said Howie Zaron, his coach at Langley last season. “I don’t think he’s going to be a good CFL player. I think he’s going to be one of the best Canadian receivers to ever play.”
And now he’s arrived. Three years ago he was training to become a firefighter and now people are saying he could be one of the CFL’s greats unless, of course, he ends up in the NFL.
“I want to win rookie of the year, whether it’s the team or the league,” he says. “That’s the goal.”
Ed Willes: Jevon Cottoy takes scenic route to Lions, where he expects to be great
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:50 pm
Ed Willes has written a fascinating column on Jevon Cottoy. Ed Hervey calls the former Langley Ram receiver the surprise of training camp, and I concur. But with every story written about his jump from junior football to starting receiver for the Lions, the praise grows and expectations rise.
Wow! I am jacked to see this kid play tomorrow night. It's one thing making these comments after a CFL Draft or in this case as a territorial junior player, it's another when they are made AFTER training camp and now into the first week of regular season practices when he has gone 1-on-1 against international DBs and still thrived.

Hopefully it's an Andrew Harris scenario all over again where an out-of-province kid comes to BC to play junior football and falls into the Lions lap instead of his hometown team.

This is one ultra-atheltic and big receiving core with Cottoy (6-5), Carter (6-5), Burnham (6-2), Durant (6-2) and Johnson (6-0) with an all-star QB throwing to them. Can't wait!!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released their roster and depth chart for the season opener. For those who followed training camp, there are no surprises in the starting lineup.

Rookie receiver and training camp sensation Jevon Cottoy starts at slotback, joining Lemar Durant and Shaq Johnson as three starting national receivers opposite internationals Bryan Burnham and Duron Carter.

Hunter Steward starts at centre, with David Foucault at left guard and Brett Boyko at right tackle. This unit practised together in the final week of training camp and got a lot of reps in the second preseason game.

On defence, rookie Mat Boesen starts at defensive end, where he has taken first-team reps since Day 1 of training camp opposite Odell Willis. Newly re-signed Anthony Thompson starts at safety. The rest of the starting defence is unchanged from the unit that practised together since the third day of training camp, with national Dom Termansen at field corner.

Cottoy and Boesen are the only rookies among the starting lineup on offence and defence.

The Lions have opted to go with a 45-man roster instead of 46 by activating only two quarterbacks, Mike Reilly and newly signed former Eskimo Danny O'Brien. Ricky Lloyd and Grant Kraemer remain on the practice roster.

Centre Andrew Peirson, who lost his starting job to Steward, and free agent DB Josh Woodman, have been placed on the 1-game injured list. LB Mitch Barnett joins injured O-linemen Peter Godber and Antonio Johnson on the 6-game injured list.

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/w ... une-15.pdf
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:07 am
The Lions have released their roster and depth chart for the season opener. For those who followed training camp, there are no surprises in the starting lineup.

Rookie receiver and training camp sensation Jevon Cottoy starts at slotback, joining Lemar Durant and Shaq Johnson as three starting national receivers opposite internationals Bryan Burnham and Duron Carter.

Hunter Steward starts at centre, with David Foucault at left guard and Brett Boyko at right tackle. This unit practised together in the final week of training camp and got a lot of reps in the second preseason game.

On defence, rookie Mat Boesen starts at defensive end, where he has taken first-team reps since Day 1 of training camp opposite Odell Willis. Newly re-signed Anthony Thompson starts at safety. The rest of the starting defence is unchanged from the unit that practised together since the third day of training camp, with national Dom Termansen at field corner.

Cottoy and Boesen are the only rookies among the starting lineup on offence and defence.

Centre Andrew Peirson, who lost his starting job to Steward, and free agent DB Josh Woodman, have been placed on the 1-game injured list. LB Mitch Barnett joins injured O-linemen Peter Godber and Antonio Johnson on the 6-game injured list.

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/w ... une-15.pdf
9 starting nationals. Wow. When was the last time the Lions did that? Is this a reflection of how good are Canadian talent is or the lack of internationals stepping up to earn starting spots such as safety. I'm guessing both.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Is this not strange?
The Lions have opted to go with a 45-man roster instead of 46 by activating only two quarterbacks, Mike Reilly and newly signed former Eskimo Danny O'Brien. Ricky Lloyd and Grant Kraemer remain on the practice roster.
Caught the tail end of the Lions practice yesterday and saw O'Brien taking a few extra throws.

What am I missing here in not having Kraemer dress (if Lloyd is not ready to go) and having him a 3rd QB on the sideline learning how to be ready to play?

What message does O'Brien dressing like that send to the other Lion QBs?

We saw in the Riders game that for some reason Fajardo the no. 2 had to go to the locker room and how good that the no. 3 Harker played !

We know Reilly won't ever sit a down but risking a lost season if your QB goes down is nuts.

It was nice to see how the Linebacker fan club handing out the watermelon were treated as players exited. I could hear Duron Carter introduce himself and shake the hand and get the names of all of them. He like Reilly and Grymes were doing media interviews - TV.

Aaron Grymes has to be the CFL player most likely to be confused with a country singer! haha
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy