"Who will succeed Buono in B.C.?" -- DeVone Claybrooks is the man.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I have always been of the opinion that there was going to be a great benefit to Ed to be able to view Wally's Way close up; learn some things, cherry pick what to emulate and what to reject.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:54 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:19 pm
David wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:56 pm

I know you did not share my enthusiasm for Ed Hervey as GM, Toppy. Are you starting to change your opinion of him?

DH :cool:

Very true.

I'm satisfied that he's an able and skilled person who should do well here!

I was not a fan of Ed Hervey based mostly on his ongoing tirade against the former GM who was by that time gone. It seemed for quite sometime no matter what the question was it came back to him trashing Tillman. His introductory remarks were poor.

While Esks GM I felt that when it came to that first screwed up mic'd game where ended up basically unmic'd I put that at the feet of the GM who when he came to BC suggested he left it to his HC. Given that it was a CFL - TSN request for the benefit of the entire league and fans, I didn't like the Esks pulling that off. The role of the GM includes coaching and guiding the HC when he's young and maybe going off course.

However when BC decided to hire him, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and of course he brings two things of value:

1. good at scouting.
2. hired two good coaches in the Esks (and I'm giving him a pass on hiring Wally).
I found this nugget from Ed Willes that there are still some vestiges of a GM who's prickly with the media. My dealings (as limited as they are) have been very pleasant. I am sure most local media members speak highly of him. I am not sure of the incidents in question this past year, or what got Hervey pissed off (there hasn't been a ton of media coverage in the first place!), but I wouldn't make too much of this.
Ed Willes wrote:And finally, one of the fascinating things about this B.C. Lions’ season was watching the relationship between Ed Hervey and Wally Buono evolve. Hervey is a complex man, tough and insightful but also highly sensitive and given to mistrust.

During the season, he had a couple of run-ins with members of the media over, essentially, nothing and maybe that isn’t important. But in the forthcoming years, the Lions GM is going to succeed Buono as one of the faces of the CFL and presenting a positive image is important.

The old coach talked to Hervey about this during the season, told him sometimes a question is just a question and there’s nothing sinister behind it. The impact those conversations had says a lot about both men.

“He’s allowed me to become more comfortable in myself and recognize not everyone is out to get to you,” Hervey said. “I’m high strung. I feel that anyone who comes in, asking too many questions has an agenda. He’s shown me there isn’t always an agenda. It allowed me to calm down and be more comfortable in the job.

“We all learn something from someone and I think, no I know, I’ve learned a lifetime worth of experience that’s going to allow me to be a better GM and person. I’m going to be a more relaxed person when it comes to the highs and lows of the game. I want to make sure I’m more understood.”

Hervey said there was a great deal of mutual respect between the two men at the start of the season but something else developed by the end of their year together.

“We built a mutual friendship we didn’t have before. I think we both walk away from this as friends.”

One thing that is going to be an issue is the media vacuum with Wally gone. I actually had hoped last year that when Hervey got hired as GM that Wally would have been a franchise face leaving Hervey to be the GM and let a new HC (other than Wally do his thing with the media).

Wally is never afraid to face the media and can give it as good as he gets but he still doesn't take it personally in a negative way such as what Willes is suggesting.

This past season the new GM ripped the QB in public (not nastily) but nothing like ripping the OL and vets in Edmonton so that's progress.

I haven't heard the new President much in the media but I had hoped it'd be Wally doing that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Hey, it happens. Even Wally has had his share of run-ins with members of the media. I think Beamish felt the wrath once or twice. Several have been called on the carpet and told to come in for film study, lol. If I had to guess, one run-in behind the scenes would have been the Jennings call-out.

If you haven't heard DeVone in an interview, you're in for a treat. The media are going to love this guy as he's thoughtful and fairly articulate, but also funny and engaging. He's going to be a quote machine! He's kind of reminds me of Tyler Perry (the filmmaker). I think his players (whom he calls his "kids") are going to love him too!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 pm
Hey, it happens. Even Wally has had his share of run-ins with members of the media. I think Beamish felt the wrath once or twice. Several have been called on the carpet and told to come in for film study, lol. If I had to guess, one run-in behind the scenes would have been the Jennings call-out.

If you haven't heard DeVone in an interview, you're in for a treat. The media are going to love this guy as he's thoughtful and fairly articulate, but also funny and engaging. He's going to be a quote machine! He's kind of reminds me of Tyler Perry (the filmmaker). I think his players (whom he calls his "kids") are going to love him too!

Ed and DeVone will be a good fit because DeVone appears to be a natural for dealing with the media, opposite of Ed.
While DeVone is unlikely to surpass former Canucks coach Harry Neale for one line zingers, I suspect the media will find DeVpne quite entertaining and quotable.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:23 am
David wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Ed and DeVone will be a good fit because DeVone appears to be a natural for dealing with the media, opposite of Ed.
While DeVone is unlikely to surpass former Canucks coach Harry Neale for one line zingers, I suspect the media will find DeVpne quite entertaining and quotable.
My favourite Harry Neale joke: We could not win on the road. We could not win at home. My greatest failing as a coach is that I could not think of anyplace else to play. Ha ha

One more Neale story, as told by an opposing coach. Small arena. A shared dressing room for the teams, separated only by a curtain hung from clothesline. Neale exhorts his troops in a pregame speech. The other coach is too intimidated to speak to his guys at the same time. Neale gets them pumped, both teams listening. At the end the other coach says to his players: "Yeah, like he said." Ha ha

I agree. DeVone looks like a natural with the press. Larger than life. Funny. Smart. A character, with a cocked hat and shorts on the sideline. As noted, a force of nature.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Harry Neale was a hockey and football coach and teacher at my high school in the 1960s and having to listen to his one liners and verbal shots as an insecure teenager...well lets just say he was more enjoyable later in life.