Potential New Receivers for BC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lions just signed a new receiver, one who has been available since June. Not a vote of confidence for Danny V signing a Canadian receiver:

RT .@Markonfootball UPDATE: Former @calstampeders and @UCDinos Anthony Parker has signed with the @BCLions . He has been assigned to the team's practise roster #yyc #cfl #bclions
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:29 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:13 pm
LU said on the radio last week that he had asked Wally about Vandervoort, and the answer was that Vandervoort was struggling to understand the offence and make the quick reads that are necessary for a receiver to be on the same page as the QB.
Thanks B.C.FAN, that's enlightening. Didn't know this to be the reported situation with Danny. And so, it brings up a couple questions for me:

One being -- couldn't Jarious & co implement some alternative (simpler?--if that's the word) plays into the grand scheme of the Lions' offence, to accommodate/suit the various levels of mental 'agility' among players?

Secondly, wouldn't part of due diligence when drafting be parsing out any individual prospective player's capacities (not necessarily speaking of Vandervoort here) in that regard, i.e. any drafted player's compatibility regards mentally picking up the team's playbook -- in this instance being Jarious's offence?

Whatever the case, back to my first question/comment; they should be flexible enough to work a player into the offence, whatever his strengths and weaknesses, especially in light of him being such a high (apparently once coveted) draft pick. Perhaps that's naive to say, but that's my thought on it.
One of the things scouts can't predict is how players will adapt to playing at the pro level where things are far more complex and happen much faster. They can do all the due diligence they want but still don't know for sure what they have or don't have until they arrive at their first training camp.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Bosco
Team Captain

The idea that Vandervoort can't grasp the offense is pure nonsense. All nine teams run a variation of the same offense and to say that Vandervoort doesn't have a grasp of it at this point in the season is either a disservice to him, or else the Lions are using him to plug up a roster spot.

Time to properly incorporate him in the offense - surely he can't be worse than the Dropsie Twins.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lions added 2 new receivers today and activated a 3rd. Who is Ebenezor Scrooge, I mean Ogundeko?

Add to 46-Man Roster: WR Ebenezor Ogundeko (I)
Place on 6-Game Injured: WR Emmanuel Arceneaux (I)
Place on Practice Roster: WR Anthony Parker (N), WR Javontee Herndon (I)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:13 pm
LU said on the radio last week that he had asked Wally about Vandervoort, and the answer was that Vandervoort was struggling to understand the offence and make the quick reads that are necessary for a receiver to be on the same page as the QB.
That. doesn't surprise me really. Some seem to think players should be gifted playing time. I've long said they have to earn it by showing in practice that they have a firm grasp of their responsibilities, understand the offense or defense and can make the reads they need to make if called upon to play. If they can't display that in practice why should coaches expect the light to come on in a real game?
serpintine
prospect

Ebenezer Ogundeko from www.bclions.com
Ebenezer. Ogundeko. #93 Defensive Lineman. Height 6'3. Weight 255 lbs. Birth Date (Age) 1995-10-12 (22). Born Brooklyn, NY.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:38 pm
Lions added 2 new receivers today and activated a 3rd. Who is Ebenezor Scrooge, I mean Ogundeko?

Add to 46-Man Roster: WR Ebenezor Ogundeko (I)
Place on 6-Game Injured: WR Emmanuel Arceneaux (I)
Place on Practice Roster: WR Anthony Parker (N), WR Javontee Herndon (I)
That's a typo on Ogundeko. Either that or he has to trim down and change his number. His bio says he's a 6'3"255# DL wearing #93.
ZLions
Rookie

According to Dave Naylor this morning, the Lions are interested in DeVier Posey. He played the last two seasons with the Argos before joining the Baltimore Raven's training camp this season. He had 744 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns last year, and had 175 yards in the Grey Cup.

https://www.tsn.ca/ex-argos-wr-posey-wo ... -1.1167545
Hambone
Hall of Famer

ZLions wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:40 pm
According to Dave Naylor this morning, the Lions are interested in DeVier Posey. He played the last two seasons with the Argos before joining the Baltimore Raven's training camp this season. He had 744 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns last year, and had 175 yards in the Grey Cup.

https://www.tsn.ca/ex-argos-wr-posey-wo ... -1.1167545
Read that a little closer. Naylor said Toronto has already reached out to Posey and there is mutual interest from Posey's side. As for BC Naylor used the term "could be interested" which only stands to reason applies to the other 7 teams outside of Toronto and BC.
David
Team Captain

Yea, it's no secret that Ed has expressed interest in Posey, but Farhan Lalji is reporting that Posey has a scheduled workout with the Buffalo Bills. I would imagine he's going to completely exhaust his opportunities down south before committing to a team up here.

Given the Argos' Grey Cup victory (delivering Posey a ring) and rejoining his teammates in "the 6," would give the Argos the inside track at signing him, I would imagine.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Import receiver Javontee Herndon, who has been out of football for more than a year, lasted only one day with the Lions. Herndon had already signed a contract to play in the Alliance of American Football and the CFL plans to honour deals signed in the proposed new league.

Looks like they will be looking for another receiver and it was suggested by Ullrich it could happen in a trade involving Rainey.
ZLions
Rookie

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm
Import receiver Javontee Herndon, who has been out of football for more than a year, lasted only one day with the Lions. Herndon had already signed a contract to play in the Alliance of American Football and the CFL plans to honour deals signed in the proposed new league.

Looks like they will be looking for another receiver and it was suggested by Ullrich it could happen in a trade involving Rainey.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Why was Javontee Herndon signed in the first place then, surely either he or the Lions must have known that he already had an Alliance of American Football contract. Like if Javontee already had a contract down there, why did he bother signing with us in the first place?
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Just saw this via 3DownNation (Justin Dunk article)
http://3downnation.com/2018/09/07/devie ... rms-lions/
That's a surprise! I figured he'd return to the Argos.
Welcome to B.C. Mr. Posey! Well done (again) Ed!
The_Pauser
Legend

Is Iannuzzi back too? His Facebook page says he's back. Not sure if he's back as a fan or as a player.
Roar you Lions roar!
BC 1988
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:04 pm
Just saw this via 3DownNation (Justin Dunk article)
http://3downnation.com/2018/09/07/devie ... rms-lions/
That's a surprise! I figured he'd return to the Argos.
Welcome to B.C. Mr. Posey! Well done (again) Ed!
That is a real surprise. I guess the Argos don't see the need to re-sign Posey (he had been said to be talking with them). At least not this season.

Hopefully he'll be available next week vs MTL.

Brook Ward (noted CFL guru :wink: ) just cautioned that the Lions haven't put this on their website so it's not official yet.