Carter released from Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

2018-08-13_1649.png

LOL Living in a dream world.

"done with football man" Nope. But unless he is the star, he will not be happy.

"find a job that travels the world" It seems to me that for most places these days, you do not want to go to there. As JohnHenry notes: Flight Attendant. Bus Driver. Join the Navy. Nope. It would not work out. Nope.

"where I can be myself" Ooh. That is a tough one. We'll take your resume and get back to you. Thank you for coming in. On your way out, please send in the next applicant.

As JohnHenry notes, "all kidding aside," I hope Duron lands in a safe place. He seems like a nice kid. Spoiled. Talented. Entertaining. Popular with fans. But definitely high maintenance.

Who is McAdoo to decide how to run things on offence? Well, he is the OC. I am thinking Jones put Carter on defence to get him away from McAdoo. It seems to me Carter was vulnerable as a DB. Back on offence? It did not work out with McAdoo once again. Does Carter see his role in this? It does not look like it.
JohnHenry wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm
I was thinking...Flight Attendant; Greyhound Bus Driver or join the Navy and see the World! I wondering how many minutes Duron's career would last in those chosen professions?

Flight attendant: 18 min. ("So now you want a pillow, why didn't you take one the first time I's around?"...before the Air Marshall has to lock him in the bathroom. )
Bus Driver: 24 min. (before he parks the bus on the side of the highway, "OK, what fool put that pop bottle in the aisle-way?")
Navy Boot Camp: 04 min. (before he takes a swing at the Drill Sargent)

Long Haul Trucker?

All kidding aside, I'd take Duron any day over the receiver with white shoes who played on Thursday and the skinny guy who dropped those passes and got a penalty for his feeble blocking attempt...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am quite content with the current Lions receiving corps and I am not sure a immature Carter is worth the trouble. He doesn't seem to know when to shut up and put his nose to the grindstone. Too much talent breeds too little work ethic. At age 27 Carter should know how to be a pro by now.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Arland Bruce? Different type of character IMO. Bruce was tough. Confident. A survivor. Goes his own way. Far from immature. Easy to manage? Not necessarily. But for the team, players and coaches we had at that time, it worked out very, very well.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sounds like we don't have to worry about it. Somebody on Esksfans posted a "Frahan says" tweet that Hervey did talk some to Carter but won't be making an offer. He'll keep the door open for the future apparently but not now.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

#BCLions will not be making an offer to Duron Carter to play this season. That said, Ed Hervey had a very positive conversation with him and wouldn’t rule out keeping the door open in future seasons. @CFLonTSN @TSN_Sports @TSN1040 @BCLionsDen @CFL

— Farhan Lalji (@FarhanLaljiTSN) August 13, 2018
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:28 pm
Arland Bruce? Different type of character IMO. Bruce was tough. Confident. A survivor. Goes his own way. Far from immature. Easy to manage? Not necessarily. But for the team, players and coaches we had it worked out very, very well.
Sometimes as fans we get wrapped up in the perception of players from some of their antics on game day. For as flaky as Owens, Ochocinco and Moss came across they had reps for being some of the hardest working dedicated players in practice.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I fully expect Hervey offers support to Carter, like an uncle. Somewhat wayward child.

Our receiving corps is just fine. Elliott is showing good stuff.

The Alouettes might be Carter's best hope.

Go, Johnny.

Go, Duron.

Ha ha ... OMG. It will be interesting.

I think Manziel has shown sufficient talent level.

Carter obviously has that.

Maturity? Who needs it? Ha ha

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:39 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:28 pm
Arland Bruce? Different type of character IMO. Bruce was tough. Confident. A survivor. Goes his own way. Far from immature. Easy to manage? Not necessarily. But for the team, players and coaches we had it worked out very, very well.
Sometimes as fans we get wrapped up in the perception of players from some of their antics on game day. For as flaky as Owens, Ochocinco and Moss came across they had reps for being some of the hardest working dedicated players in practice.
This fan has never doubted the work ethic of the guys you mention, especially as it applies to exercise. Owens still works out like a fanatic.

Perception? It is all there on film or in the news, why guys get released.

''hardest working dedicated players in practice'' Following coaches' directions? Willingly? All out on plays not coming their way? Team player? Selfish? Sulky? Whining? Hard-done by? Guys that move on a lot have some issues that shorten their stays.

Should the Falcons be concerned that Julio Jones works out with Owens? Maybe.

I formed my own opinion on Bruce when he was here. I saw him at practice many, many times. Probably reported favourably on him on this site. Liked it when he took the Grey Cup to a senior home after the victory. (My Dad was in one at the time.) Hard working. No nonsense. Confident. I liked him. Easy to manage in all situations? I would not expect that from him. As long as he ''keeps his nose clean,'' stays out of trouble, gets along with people, it can be fine. Attitude goes south? Time to move on. Wally nailed that personnel decision, bringing him in.

With a guy like Bruce, or any guy who may exhibit ''attitude'' at some times, best to be upfront with them. -- We like the way you play. We want you to be happy here. No conflicts. Any issues, come to see me. Work hard, as you always do. Know the play book. Respect the coaches and the other players, and it is all good. -- The GM will know right away, from the response, if it can work out. The GM will have done his homework, and not be surprised by a poor response. Maybe even prep the agent, so the player is not upset or caught offguard prior to the talk.

Bruce worked well with Geroy, so it seemed. Wally worked well with Khalif. Could Carter, Moss, Owens or Ochocinco have worked out here? Dunno. Lots of guys worked out well enough with the Raiders, when other teams gave up on them.

Bruce was not immature. He went his own way. Endzone celebrations? I liked them. His coach said he had allowed them. Bruce apologized to his team. Runako Reth? Cool. He moved on from a few teams. He was good here from the get-go. For talented guys, many teams take the chance, hoping for the best.

Owens? I would pass, at the best of times. Moss? Same thing. Best recommendation for Moss and Ochocinco? Belichick brought them to the Patriots. When Moss seemed to suggest he was as valuable as Brady, or moreso, he was gone.

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:12 am
how long will Chris Jones be allowed to coast on his GC ring?
My guess is that unless they have a renaissance in the 2nd half of the season, that his days will be numbered. This is year 3 afterall and they appear to be backsliding.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/11/nye-carte ... -surprise/

Excerpts from the article by Jamie Nye ...
“There seems to be a time for Duron Carter when he reaches his best before date, and it’s not on the field so much as some of the stuff that goes on off the field,” said Nye shortly after the trade.
Nye cited off-season criminal charges along with a lack of effort, both in games and in practices, as possible reasons the Riders decided enough was enough.

“You watch him in practice, as I do, and you see an effort level that doesn’t match some of the other players,” said Nye. “Sometimes there are plays [in the game] where you know it’s a run play because he’s on the outside and he’s barely making an effort to go to the line of scrimmage because he knows what’s coming.

“It all adds up with Duron as to why Chris Jones would make this move and I wasn’t surprised at all that he had been released because of all those things I just said.”
“There’s a point in time where the team’s going to have to figure out — and I think the Roughriders are in that position — who they have and who they want going forward to get this offence out of a little bit of a slump,” said Nye.

“Clearly they don’t need someone who’s going to complain about targets. They need players who are out there giving it their all.”
While Carter is considered one of the CFL’s most polarizing figures, he was beloved by Rider Nation. Nye says Saturday’s move will resonate similarly with Riders fans.

“The one thing that I really appreciated in Duron Carter was the time he spent with young fans signing autographs, taking pictures, just going above and beyond to engage with the fans,” said Nye. “That was an endearing thing that fans really attached to Duron Carter and really appreciated.”
Among Carter’s many highlights in Riderville was when he took a large group of Riders fans to see a movie before the team’s playoff game in Toronto in 2017.

“The fans loved Duron Carter,” Nye added. “I liked it too, watching it, because I think the stars of the league need to do that stuff.”
“Duron’s Duron,” said Nye. “I don’t know if there’s ever going to be a ‘lightbulb’ moment for him. He’s settled on that. He likes being the way he is. You have to be confident in yourself and there’s something to look at and say ‘hey, cool’, he’s willing to be him even though there are some consequences that may go along with that.

“He’s quite happy living his life the way he’s lived it up until now.”

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/233 ... back-again
"Bad decisions," Duron said of his college career.

"A long chain of bad decisions. I wasn't a reliable person. Not being on time, not going to class, undermining authority, being a mischievous kid. I always thought I could talk or play my way out of a situation." 20150122
http://3downnation.com/2016/09/09/montr ... mate-ever/

From Justin Dunk's article from 20160909
Duron Carter’s altercation with Rakeem Cato at practice this week is not the first time he’s rubbed teammates the wrong way.

Midway through the 2014, during a stretch where Montreal started the season 1-7, Carter ignited an eruption with players and coaches during a meeting with the receivers and quarterbacks. The shouting was so loud, an offensive lineman left his own meeting to try and put a stop to it.

“It could have come to fisticuffs. It was a blow up of disrespect. You don’t talk to coaches or players that way. You don’t be disrespectful. That’s where I ended up stepping in,” then-Alouettes head coach, Tom Higgins says. “You’re dealing with professional athletes and then you’re critiquing professional athletes, and sometimes they take it too harshly. Be a man about it because somebody has to have a final say.”
After the situation was diffused, the offence went out for a walk-through practice and Higgins addressed the Carter argument with the team. He challenged the players to find a way the team could move forward.

“This was a player situation. You can’t be disrespectful to teammates and expect them to be able to play and function together as a team or unit,” Higgins says.
Sources say there was a team vote held on whether or not players wanted Carter on the team.

“Could we trust him? Could we move ahead? Can we go forward? Could we believe in one another? You can only do that so many times,” Higgins says. “And this was one of those times that everybody was able to put it behind them. We’re going to be respectful to teammates and coaches. We’re going to know that in order for us to have success you have to work together as a team.”

Ultimately, the Alouettes were able to get past what Carter did.
“I thought in the short period of time I was there with Duron he matured a little bit. Obviously, there is talent, but along with talent comes responsibility and being part of the team,” Higgins says.

Carter’s history of clashing with teammates goes back to college. Coffeyville Community College quarterback, Cayden Cochran tweeted about the flamboyant receiver before the 2013 NFL Draft.
2018-08-14_0127.png
Carter’s conduct is one of the reasons he didn’t last longer in the NFL after spending 2015 on the Colts practice roster. After word travelled south about Carter’s bumping incident with Redblacks head coach Rick Campbell earlier this season, an NFL source said: “Doesn’t surprise me.”
The ability is there, as Carter’s CFL numbers demonstrate. But it’s clear the 25-year-old needs to learn to get along better with others. Said one former Alouette: “Worst. Teammate. Ever.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohnnyMusso
Champion

#BCLions will not be making an offer to Duron Carter to play this season. That said, Ed Hervey had a very positive conversation with him and wouldn’t rule out keeping the door open in future - according to Farhan L.

I think this is the right move. Great player, but not a team player and very selfish.

Still think he is going to the Als.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I missed Lulay on 650 yesterday but in the post interview wrap up that I got part of, it was suggested that Lulay was saying that the upside wasn't worth the rest of the stuff that comes with Carter. I didn't hear Lulay nor all of it but that was gist of it.

Carter gets praise from former team mates though as well as fans. Fans suggesting McAdoo should be gone, not Carter.

What's interesting is that Carter's demise in Regina might just put the spotlight squarely on Chris Jones and his OC Steve M - who sounds like a bit of an in your face coach where it's his way or the highway.

Each year now Chris Jones' decisions have hurt his team. Luckily last year he finished on a hot streak.

Rob Vanstone interviewed with their great stadium behind him suggested that Jones owes it to the fans who are responsible for that great place to play to explain what he's doing.

I 'd like to see Carter on the end of Manziel's beautifully thrown long passes dropped twice in the Als last game. I thought they both were catchable BUT I didn't get to see multi-angle replays.

There are NO real facts that suggest Carter is a bad team mate.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 pm
aklawitter wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:12 am
how long will Chris Jones be allowed to coast on his GC ring?
My guess is that unless they have a renaissance in the 2nd half of the season, that his days will be numbered. This is year 3 after all and they appear to be backsliding.
Both comments seem to be where the conversations in the CFL heading these days.

If they dumped him for the pot cookie charges (both were pre-season and it's about to legal and it's stuff bought and sold in pretty much every place in Canada now) the Riders' Chris Jones would be faring better than saying stuff like he's a great player and 'we don't want to say'.

It might die down if Carter gets signed and flopped in his play but this is today's story:
'Two yards forward and then punt’: columnist has bleak outlook after Duron Carter release
By David Baxter
Reporter Global News
In addition to the release, the Riders have also moved Carter to the discount bin. Number 89’s merchandise has been marked down 50 per cent at Rider Store locations. A store employee said they sold out of Carter jerseys last week, and he’s been among the top merchandise seller in his year and a half with the team.
Trestman spoke of getting his father Cris for nothing with the Vikings so there is some history there for the Argos HC.

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/ ... ron-carter

https://globalnews.ca/news/4385778/two- ... r-release/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:54 pm

If they dumped him for the pot cookie charges (both were pre-season and it's about to legal and it's stuff bought and sold in pretty much every place in Canada now) the Riders' Chris Jones would be faring better than saying stuff like he's a great player and 'we don't want to say'.
He already pled guilty back in June to the Winnipeg charge of having the pot cookies and was given an absolute discharge. A week later he pled not guilty to the Saskatoon charge which I believe was for possession of pot itself. He goes to trial on that one in December. As for legality moving forward at the time it was reported that he had over 30 grams in his possession which I believe will still be illegal under the new incoming laws.