Ticats trade DL, Davon Coleman to Lions.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lions sent a 2019 4th round draft pick to Hamilton and got back a 300lb interior D lineman and a 6th round 2019 pick. That is a very good price to pay for a guy who played in 17 games for the TiCats in 2017.
https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/25/lions-acq ... an-ticats/

https://www.bclions.com/players/davon-coleman/161823/

http://3downnation.com/2018/05/25/ticat ... n-coleman/
CardiacKid
Legend

I really, really like this trade :thup: he will be a significant upgrade over Brooks as he plays with more determination and desire to impose his will on the game. His stats are certainly more impressive than Brooks with 41 tackles, three tackles for loss, two knockdowns, two fumble recoveries, five sacks and 13 quarterback pressures.

He puts big time hits on QBs as I think he knocked Reilly and Harris out of games last year. Oh yeah..and Jennings.

Very nice pickup. Probably only available for cap reasons and maybe, just maybe a TC dust-up?
Last edited by CardiacKid on Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

It would appear that Ed has just addressed the Lions biggest need, the spot on the D line that was supposed to be occupied by Cummings. Prior to this trade it was looking like the Lions might go with 2 NAT interior lineman or just 1 and a rookie INT tackle. Now it appears Ed has found a vet to play DT. :thup: :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions not pleased with the guys they currently have in camp ?
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:02 pm
Lions not pleased with the guys they currently have in camp ?
It would appear that way. LU is definitely of that opinion.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:54 pm
It would appear that Ed has just addressed the Lions biggest need, the spot on the D line that was supposed to be occupied by Cummings. Prior to this trade it was looking like the Lions might go with 2 NAT interior lineman or just 1 and a rookie INT tackle. Now it appears Ed has found a vet to play DT. :thup: :thup:
IMHO Coleman is a better pickup than Cummings.
maxlion
Legend

Great trade. It fills our biggest need on D. Hardly gave up anything.

Ticat fans are left asking "Why?"
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:08 pm
DanoT wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:54 pm
IMHO Coleman is a better pickup than Cummings.
Agreed. As I commented in the training camp thread, this is huge. There is no defensive tackle in the CFL that I would rather have in Lions’ colours than Coleman.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Cardiac Kid wrote:

Very nice pickup. Probably only available for cap reasons and maybe, just maybe a TC dust-up?

Cap is not an issue I read somewhere. Heard he is still on a rookie deal, so he is not making big money. More likely traded because of the heated argument he had with a teammate in camp.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:23 pm
Cardiac Kid wrote:

Cap is not an issue I read somewhere. Heard he is still on a rookie deal, so he is not making big money. More likely traded because of the heated argument he had with a teammate in camp.
Trade a guy due to a heated argument with no punches thrown. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Don't you want intensity among players who are competing for a job ?

The only reason that i can see for the trade is that the TiCats have found someone better to replace Coleman. And don't forget that whoever takes Coleman's spot ends up with the benefit of playing beside Ted Laurent, just like Coleman did in 2017.
Rodu
Champion

WHo would Coleman bump? Louis or Junior Luke?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rodu wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:41 am
WHo would Coleman bump? Louis or Junior Luke?
He would bump Louis, a rookie international. Junior Luke is entrenched as a national nose tackle, backed up by rookie draft pick Julien Laurent.
Blitz
Team Captain

I believe Coleman is a better choice than Cummings was, in terms of talent. Coleman is also cheaper.

I love this Ed Hervey trade. Many die hard Tiger Cat fans are shocked that they not only traded Coleman but what they received in return.

Coleman (after Cummings contract was suspended) was the one missing piece we needed, in terms of the upgrades we needed for our offensive and defensive lines.

Figueroa, Olifioye, and Coleman, along with Willis and Knapton, plus our two draft choices of Godber and Laurent, are all pieces of what looks to be very good makeover of our offensive and defensive lines for 2018.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
FrankLandy
prospect

LU's TSN column on new DT Coleman:

https://www.tsn.ca/lions-like-the-nasty ... -1.1106283

Focused Nastiness is a good thing.