James "Quick" Parker. RIP.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

One of the best to ever wear a Lions jersey. James "Quick" Parker has died at the young age of 60. His arrival in 1984 was a big reason why the Lions went from contender in 1983 to Grey Cup champion in 1985.

https://www.bclions.com/2018/03/27/lion ... ck-parker/
David
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:12 pm
One of the best to ever wear a Lions jersey. James "Quick" Parker has died at the young age of 60. His arrival in 1984 was a big reason why the Lions went from contender in 1983 to Grey Cup champion in 1985.

https://www.bclions.com/2018/03/27/lion ... ck-parker/
Wow. This is really sad news. He was an acquaintance of mine, but I hadn't seen him in some time. Super nice guy. Rather quiet and unassuming. He used to work in the Lions' office at BC Place and I would visit him there. This is back when Bobby was running the team. My condolences to Keynan. His Dad was very proud of him and would talk about Keynan's hockey abilities and how he excelled at track.

Certainly Quick was one of the top 5 pass rushers we've ever had. RIP.

:sigh: :bawl:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Very sad news. Too young to pass on. He was one of CFL's greats.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Awful news. Condolences to his family and friends.

IMO he set the standard for rush ends, a rather new concept at the time. Don Matthews saw the possibilities. Undersized but amazingly "quick," yes, quick, just like his nickname.

God bless.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Condolences to Keynan and other family members. James "Quick" Parker always gave back to football, helping out with the Lions and high school programs in various capacities. And he always seemed to be smiling.
Blitz
Team Captain

James 'Quick' Parker is one of my favorite all time Leos. He was a treat to watch, when playing football, and he was a character guy that I respected.

Sad news.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally and former teammates Jamie Taras, Kevin Konar and Jim MIlls reminisce about Parker to Ed Willes:

Ed Willes: Quick Parker revolutionized game before Lion heart gave out
jcalhoun
Starter

It would be really lovely if the Lions D Line could get permission from the league to have a feather decal on their helmets next season in tribute.

Cheers,

James
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Horribly shocking that someone who played as he did could pass away of a heart attack so young! Condolences to his family and friends.

When Cam Wake came on the scene tearing up offensive blockers it took me back to the days of Parker where clearly offenses had to be concerned about him on every play.

I see a Darrell Davis story on him on 3DownNation here that mentions him owning a Vancouver restaurant (I didn't know that):

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/29/james ... on-player/

This story mentions he coached for Don Matthews for a season or two in Regina then didn't coach again in the pro ranks.

I have always quietly wondered why a player like Parker living in Vancouver somewhere wasn't a Lions coach given how hard it is too keep assistants. How could this guy not be a difference maker?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:39 am
It would be really lovely if the Lions D Line could get permission from the league to have a feather decal on their helmets next season in tribute.

Cheers,

James
:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

One of the first players who is indelibly etched upon my memory. I never met him but a relation who did described him as having the physique of a Greek God and being the most powerful looking man they ever met.

In reading the tributes for the man, I wish I had met him.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Few players in any sport can be lauded for changing the way the game is played. "Quick" was one of them. In a few short years he not only invented the rush end position but perfected it. The concept of rush end didn't exist in pro football prior to Parker. Now it's a staple in defences in both the CFL and NFL. RIP "Quick".
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 am
This story mentions he coached for Don Matthews for a season or two in Regina then didn't coach again in the pro ranks.

I have always quietly wondered why a player like Parker living in Vancouver somewhere wasn't a Lions coach given how hard it is too keep assistants. How could this guy not be a difference maker?
The coaching lifestyle is very nomadic. It's akin to being an army brat. You're never in one place for a long time but hopefully a good time before moving on. Even if a guy likes coaching the lifestyle may not be for them. Perhaps Parker liked the coaching part but not the lifestyle of the career coach. In Parker's case he was on the Riders' staff in 1992 & 1993. Kenyan would've been only 2 years old when James joined Matthews' staff and turned 4 a few days after the final game he coached. If he wasn't able to take his family with him being away from them, especially with a young son (don't know if there are other siblings to Kenyan), may have been why Parker chose a different post-football career path. If I recall though Wally did have him on board as a guest coach at training camp a couple of times.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I always wondered too why Parker didn't continue coaching. I gathered from the article that the coaching life didn't appeal to him, particularly the requisite meetings and film study. He was an affable guy who liked to chat and socialize. He worked for a time in sales in the Lions' business office. I recall him calling me a few times and chatting about season tickets. He was likable and outgoing but probably not suited to the daily grind of coaching.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

When it comes to discussions about the greatest Lions defensive, agreeably James "Quick" Parker will always be at the top of the list with him being selected an all-star three times during his time with the Lions and winning Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 1984 and 1986, and was also selected as the 1985 Grey Cup Defensive MVP.

He managed to win the Grey Cup four (five?) times. *

His all of fame profile:
http://www.cfhof.ca/members/james-quick-parker/

As indicated in this old thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12401 I think the trade prior to the 1984 season that sent him to the Lions from the Eskimos for Laurent Deslauriers and Frank Blakovec is one of the best Lions trades ever in Lions history.

* While he played for the Toronto Argonauts in 1990 and 1991, and the Argonauts won the Grey Cup in 1991, indications show that he was released prior to the 1991 Grey Cup game and he's not part of the GC winning roster.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:38 am
I always wondered too why Parker didn't continue coaching. I gathered from the article that the coaching life didn't appeal to him, particularly the requisite meetings and film study. He was an affable guy who liked to chat and socialize. He worked for a time in sales in the Lions' business office. I recall him calling me a few times and chatting about season tickets. He was likable and outgoing but probably not suited to the daily grind of coaching.
Successful coaches need to have teaching in their blood and CFL coaches especially, need to have that burning passion to coach with the crazy long hours it entails. I never got that sense from Quick. As intense as he was on the field, he was laid back off it. I still have his mischievous grin etched in my mind, whenever he answered a question.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar