Darian Durant - Signs 1 year deal with Bombers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

in all defense of Darwood, if Agnes was your mother-in-law, you would probably be a drama queen as well.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think in that episode at the end of 2016 what upset Durant was the way Jones went about things with the QBs in the final 2 games of the season which were meaningless to the Riders given they were already eliminated from the playoffs. Typically a coach would play the veteran starter in the second last game and give him the night off in the finale to get a good look at the young guys. Instead what Jones did in the 2nd last game was to do his best impression of Mike Keenan when he used to make goalie changes 3 or 4 times per game. If memory serves me correctly what really choked Durant was that Jones kept him in the dark on his plans. He had no inkling what might be up until Jones told him to stay on the sidelines for the 3rd series of the game.
Last edited by Hambone on Tue May 15, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

The QB situation with all the other teams in the West this year (namely a lack of solid 1-2 tandems) , makes me think the Lions could sneak up the middle and challenge the perceived leaders if guys like Nicholls, Reilly, Collaros and Mitchell go down for an appreciable length of time.

It has happened and not too long ago that the starters around the league went down like flies...
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:00 pm
The QB situation with all the other teams in the West this year (namely a lack of solid 1-2 tandems) , makes me think the Lions could sneak up the middle and challenge the perceived leaders if guys like Nicholls, Reilly, Collaros and Mitchell go down for an appreciable length of time.

It has happened and not too long ago that the starters around the league went down like flies...
Some of those are in better shape than others. Edmonton has a capable veteran backup in Kevin Glenn caddying for Reilly and Saskatchewan has Brandon Bridge who showed quite a bit of promise in his appearances last year. Winnipeg and Calgary though are almost starting from scratch behind their starters. Winnipeg's only "experienced" backup is ex-Lion Alex Ross. As of this morning Calgary lists only 2 QBs on their roster; BLM and last year's #3 Ricky Stanzi.
CardiacKid
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Here I go, doing what I shouldn’t be doing. Namely quoting myself but the first fly of the season to go down may have already dropped. The Bombers should be sweating their QB depth if they aren’t already.....

“Blue Bomber nightmare: injury to Matt Nichols is “bad,” per source”
http://3downnation.com/2018/06/06/blue- ... chols-bad/

It was a non-contact injury that happened as Nichols went back to pass. Sounds suspiciously like an Achilles.....
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Over on Morning Big Blue some but not all, fans have lost their minds and think that the Bombers can make a trade for some other team's backup QB.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Alex Ross. Come on down.

He showed enough to stick with us for one year. Stunk in preseason. Who knows?

The key factor in Winnipeg is Mike O'Shea. The Bombers made Nicholls look pretty good. I expect they will be OK.

Bennett, Mahoney, Ross and Streveler. One will have to step forward.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 pm
Alex Ross. Come on down.

He showed enough to stick with us for one year. Stunk in preseason. Who knows?

The key factor in Winnipeg is Mike O'Shea. The Bombers made Nicholls look pretty good. I expect they will be OK.

Bennett, Mahoney, Ross and Streveler. One will have to step forward.
Exhibition games, especially the first one, can be taken with a grain of salt. If the Bombers first ex-game is any indication then Streveler has already taken a giant step forward. Numbers-wise the difference between him and Ross was cavernous.
maxlion
Legend

Nichols out 4-6 weeks

https://www.tsn.ca/blue-bombers-qb-nich ... -1.1106092

Bombers' first bye week is in week 8 so they will potentially be without an established qb for their first 7 games. This will have a major impact on their playoff chances. Especially considering that their qb depth is probably the worst in the league. Good news for the Lions. Bad news for the league.
FrankLandy
prospect

Apparently Durant would consider coming out of retirement.

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/07/duran ... s-sources/

Alternatively the bombers should hurry up and call the Tiger Cats about Vernon Adams as he is available.

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/07/june- ... ded-today/
CardiacKid
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Nichols out 4-6 weeks

Bombers' first bye week is in week 8 so they will potentially be without an established qb for their first 7 games. This will have a major impact on their playoff chances. Especially considering that their qb depth is probably the worst in the league. Good news for the Lions. Bad news for the league.
Lions play the Bombers in weeks 4 and 5 so a good time to make hay while Nichols is away...at least projected to be away. Taking 4 points from a division rival and winning a season series will go a HUGE way to seeing any team into the post-season.

I hope we see the Leo’s play those 2 games like their season is on the line.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:58 pm
maxlion wrote:
Nichols out 4-6 weeks

Lions play the Bombers in weeks 4 and 5 so a good time to make hay while Nichols is away...at least projected to be away. Taking 4 points from a division rival and winning a season series will go a HUGE way to seeing any team into the post-season.

Totally concur. Big loss for the Bombers. Opportunity for the Lions to gain the advantage .............. if they win.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:58 pm
maxlion wrote:
Nichols out 4-6 weeks

that's actually the main reason I hate back to backs. Sure, this time it might benefit the lions, but it could also go the other way.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back