Johnny Manziel Offered 2 Year Contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

Yes, certainly Manziel is a polarizing figure, especially with the media circus attached. I made sure that I watched the Ham game last week so I would be able to tell the Grandchildren gathered around my feet that I watched JM take his first steps on his long and winding road to redemption.

I thought that he played OK, and would improve with more reps. He does have a good level of escapability and rolll-out ability which is more suited to the CFL game than the NFL. I'm not sure if he can unload the long ball (perhaps thats why Masoli was throwing those long interceptions) but with a shorter game, he could do well.

I think the idea of him starting the next game and playing the first half is a great idea. It will give him the reps he needs at speed and with a rested defence to test himself against. It will also give Ham a chance to see how he prepares for a starters role and how he shoulders the responsibility.

I don't know that he will succeed on or off the field over the long term (i.e. a season or two)... he doe seem to have a short attention span, so could easily undo all his good steps. We shall see....
Blitz
Team Captain

Manziel, in his rookie season in college became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy and only the fifth quarterback in NCAA history to pass for over 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards.

Success and fame came too quickly. His attitude, at times, reflected immaturity, cockiness, and a sense of entitlement. But it was not all that simple. Manziel also suffered from depression as well as the manic side of his disorder. He used alcohol to attempt to bring himself out of depression. He often stayed in his room for days by himself. The media mostly focused on the partying end of things.

Manziel's father stated that Manziel would be dead by the age of 24 if he did not get help. Manziel will fight the mental aspect of his disorder every day. He has said so himself. Its a very slippery slope.

It would be easy to just criticize him. He has built a reputation of his own accord. Its likely he will fail. The odds are against him. But I do hope he can make his life, as well as his football career, a success.

In recent years, in professional sports, we've learned about a number of athletes struggling with mental illness of some type or another. There is no cure for bipolar disorder. Its a life long illness but medications and psychotherapy have proven to be very helpful.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I didn't like the Tiger-Cats' pursuit of Manziel. I thought he didn't have the right attidude to play in the CFL and that the media circus would be too much of a distraction. I also didn't think he could come in as a first-year CFL player and be dominant, as many expected.

I've since changed my mind about Manziel, after watching his approach to the game and the way he has handled the attention. The media circus may still prove to be too much of a distraction but he has said and done the right things and shows a genuine appreciation for the game and for the challenges he faces. Most importantly, he has been open about his struggles with alcohol and mental illness.

USA Today published an informative story about the extent of support that the league, the Tiger-Cats and Manziel's wife have given him. He admits he could still fall off the wagon any time. He is human but he is more aware of his issues than when he was in the NFL, and he wants to re-establish his life and career. I have sympathy for him.

For Johnny Manziel, recovery takes priority amid comeback in CFL
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 667506002/

From the article posted by BCFAN ...
“We understand the criticism that comes with the territory,” general manager Eric Tillman told USA TODAY Sports recently of the decision to sign Manziel. “We understand the questions. Many are excited to see a young person turn his life around. Others are more skeptical. Some are just flat out critical. Every one of those positions has validity.
Criticism, yes. Much amazing support, also.
“This is beyond my dreams of what I thought a couple of years ago. I know everyone expected me to be in the NFL forever and do a bunch of great things. But I still have a chance. I still have a path to get there. That’s all I want.”
Yes, he still has a path to get there.

In one interview with JM it seems his TiCats story might be filmed as a reality TV show. Pass or fail at football and life, his story has legs.

Redemption? That would be good.

Off the wagon? Not so good.

Prodigal son? I think it fits.

It has our attention. Not rooting against him, but somewhat doubtful.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

For the sake of his health, I hope he has a plan or supports away from football as the season plays out. The context of training and practicing in the CFL versus the NFL might be a blessing or a hindrance depending on how Manziel handles it.

CFL players spend less time training and practicing (at least the CFL CBA specifies as such) in comparison to their NFL cousins. This extra time away from his “job” could be a benefit for Manziel to create some form of life balance.

Or it could be a pitfall if he finds himself at loose ends. What is that saying? Idle hands are the Devil’s workshop.

I think how he handles his time away from the team, the field or anything CFL related will be as important, if not more, as the time he spends with a football in his hands.
Huge Talent
Starter

You guys made some good points. Makes me wanna root for his success, rather than cheering for a train wreck. It's sad what the media can do to people. Would be great for our league if Johnny football finds some level of success up here, both on and off the field.
maxlion
Legend

June Jones says Ticats QB Vernon Adams will be traded today.

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/07/june- ... ded-today/

After trading Charleston Hughes to get Adams, Jones announces to the press a plan to trade Adams to either Edmonton or Montreal by the end of the day. According to Dave Naylor, Edmonton is not interested and will not trade Glenn to make room for Adams. Can't see Kavis giving up much for Adams in these circumstances. Another questionable move by the Ticats, following the Bomben and Coleman trade.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 pm
June Jones says Ticats QB Vernon Adams will be traded today.

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/07/june- ... ded-today/

After trading Charleston Hughes to get Adams, Jones announces to the press a plan to trade Adams to either Edmonton or Montreal by the end of the day. According to Dave Naylor, Edmonton is not interested and will not trade Glenn to make room for Adams. Can't see Kavis giving up much for Adams in these circumstances. Another questionable move by the Ticats, following the Bomben and Coleman trade.

I feel bad for Adams with these moves and the situations he's found himself in since coming to the CFL. It'd be smarter for the Bombers to land him as I'm skeptical now re: Ross who didn't do much in that last game for the Bombers nor in BC last year. The other Bomber back up at 10/10 last game looked good and maybe Adams there might be a better fit for all (if he's healthy etc).

I doubt the Argos would let the QB with the long names go either - and he's looked decent.

Bombers have to be not liking their situation and Durant coming back would a train wreck. It's sad too for the Bombers AND the CFL as Matt Nichols was showing signs of heading towards getting on a track to elite CFL QB status. Note it was "getting on" not there yet. I view his last year and this season as qualifying years and unless he shot the light out this season (which now looks dim) he'd still be just early on a track to being named along with Reilly and Mitchell.

Manziel has to first find very good success here in the CFL before anyone in the NFL is going to knock on his door so he'd be wise to stop mentioning the NFL and confine all comments on his current gig.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It's still just pre-season and it's hard too judge much from this body of work except to say, I think Manzilel can still play at a high level. To date, I've gone from critic of his lack of understanding to what it takes to succeed in the CFL to cautiously optimistic that he can succeed here.

Manziel's full body of work Saturday:

I honestly feel that they owed Masoli some time to start this game given how he came out last week and sort of sucked. I think he felt pressured to perform and it showed badly.

This though is NONSENSE from Muamba.

Suffice to say a late hit out of bounds by Muamba sends nothing but a message that you're a dirty cheap shot artist. I'm no Manziel shill but when a player's trying to stop as he's out of bounds, it's disgusting you're hitting him like that. The entire CFL stands more to gain by Manziel succeeding than anything Muamba can achieve by injuring him - which is exactly what is can happen when a player off the field is letting up.

Tweet by Matthew Scianitti quoting Henoc Muamba on RDS:
" In his French halftime interview with @DidierRDS on @RDSca, Henoc Muamba just admitted his late hit on Johnny Manziel was to show Manziel “We’re here, and we’re not going to back down” #AlsMTL #Ticats #CFL"
No argument from me on Tweet by Ticat fan Brad Nielsen:

@Brad_TiCat_Fan
Jun 10
More
Replying to @TSNScianitti @DidierRDS @RDSca
Admitting to a deliberate late hit?.... Shouldn't that be grounds for a fine of some sort?
Muamba not much of a pro athlete when you do crap like that!!!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Very well written article on Johnny Manziel and the detailed process involved before he was allowed to sign with the Hamilton Tiger Cats and be able to play in the CFL.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/16/johnn ... tiger-cats
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
BC 1988
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:16 pm
Very well written article on Johnny Manziel and the detailed process involved before he was allowed to sign with the Hamilton Tiger Cats and be able to play in the CFL.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/16/johnn ... tiger-cats
Thanks Blitz for the link. That is an excellent overview not only of HAM-Manziel, but updates on the "Be More Than a Bystander" campaign. Compared to the sorry-ass state of the NFL, this makes me proud of our league. (Apart from how the Euclid Cummings fiasco was mishandled).

I respect the efforts the TiCats are making in trying the Manziel rehab the right way. If he fails, it won't be their fault. (Hilarious how he didn't know he would be able to withdraw USD up here, hence the pile of cash border crossing issue).
South Pender
Legend

June Jones seems impressed so far with Johnny Football:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... n-the-nfl/