2017 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Matt Baker wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 pm
DanoT wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm
[/u]

Works great for line crashing the totally absorbed internet-er at Tim Hortons.
Frustrating as hell to see people parking their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle blocking everyone while they're on their cell phone.
Well in all fairness, if they are like me it's because their cell phone is now where they write down their grocery list.
The people I'm peeved about is talking and texting
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Matt Baker wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
DanoT wrote:
[/u]

Frustrating as hell to see people parking their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle blocking everyone while they're on their cell phone.
Well in all fairness, if they are like me it's because their cell phone is now where they write down their grocery list.
You millennial you. :wink:

What the heck is a grocery list anyways? I still shop like the baby boomer bachelor I am........walk up and down the aisles until the product I'm looking at reminds me I need some. Then at the checkout the clerk always asks if I found everything I need to which I reply "I don't know. I'll figure that out when I get home". Then I hope like hell I'm not sitting on the throne the next morning suddenly remembering oh yeah toilet paper! That's what I needed! :shock:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 pm
Being at the tail end of the Baby Boomer group (1963), I can say I don't much care for the relentless invasion of digital media in my life (and that is coming from a retired Network Engineer). Frankly, there isn't that much that I want to know on a regular basis about most things. If I want to check in, I will do Youtube or Website based.

I was at a restaurant last night where there were bench seats back to back. 5 adults and 1 toddler behind me. The toddler was jumping up and down, kicking the seat back, reached over and was touching me. And what were the other 5 doing? Looking at their phones. Every one of them, completely oblivious. That's kind of what this obsession with electronics has come to symbolize for me. A way to withdraw from the world while obsessing about the world. We spend so much time looking at screens, we have forgotten how to look up and be aware of where you are and what's going on right in front of you.

What this GenXer finds especially frustrating are the old farts at Costco who congregate around the sample tables and gab ad nauseam with the buddies they just happened to bump into, resulting in massive clogs at the end of all the rows.

Get a membership at your local golf and country club and shoot the sh*t there while you play a round. Some of us actually are at Costco to shop and get on with our busy day; not socialize and get free food because you are too cheap to pass up a freebie!

Maybe some stores need to institute Boomer, GenX and Millenial hours to shop. Just so each respective generation doesn't get pissed off with the other :beer:
jcalhoun
Starter

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49 pm

What this GenXer finds especially frustrating are the old farts at Costco who congregate around the sample tables and gab ad nauseam with the buddies they just happened to bump into, resulting in massive clogs at the end of all the rows.
This. Because nobody has ever tried salsa before, or chips, and they need to abandon their carts at random, inconsiderate angles to sample these new wonder-foods from the exotic corners of the earth, while feigning sommelier-levels of taste appreciation. Pro-tip: on finding an aisle-end cluster say a little too loudly, "oh, that's the brand with the salmonella recall."

Best Costco run time: 9 mins from parking the car to pulling out of the lot.

Cheers,

James
CardiacKid
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:07 am
CardiacKid wrote:

This. Because nobody has ever tried salsa before, or chips, and they need to abandon their carts at random, inconsiderate angles to sample these new wonder-foods from the exotic corners of the earth, while feigning sommelier-levels of taste appreciation. Pro-tip: on finding an aisle-end cluster say a little too loudly, "oh, that's the brand with the salmonella recall."

Best Costco run time: 9 mins from parking the car to pulling out of the lot.

Cheers,

James
Holy crap! I am totally envious. I think you should check the Guiness Book of World Records and see if that can get included.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
DanoT wrote:
[/u]

Get a membership at your local golf and country club and shoot the sh*t there while you play a round. Some of us actually are at Costco to shop and get on with our busy day; not socialize and get free food because you are too cheap to pass up a freebie!

Maybe some stores need to institute Boomer, GenX and Millenial hours to shop. Just so each respective generation doesn't get pissed off with the other :beer:
Lol. Can't complain about a free lunch if you're on a fixed income. I've been in Costco exactly twice in my life. I wanted to buy a desk for my home office and checked their website to find out they sold them. I snuck in past the greeter/guards and wandered around to check that out as well as to see what this Costco thing was all about. They had exactly the sort of L-shaped desk with hutch I wanted. I went back the next day with a buddy who had a Costco card and bought it. That was just over 10 years ago. I haven't stepped foot in one since.

I did consider getting a card recently purely for the fuel discount given the amount of kms and litres of fuel I burn in a year for work and personal travel. I did the calcs and figured at best I'd break even on fuel savings versus membership. That was if I was able to always fuel up at Costco which would simply not be possible. No Costco in a lot of places I have to travel to for work.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CardiacKid
Legend

Costco is great for the cheaper gas, the cheap propane and the cheap cheese.

Which, in my case, all seem to be related to the effect on the nostrils.....
Ballistic Bob
Legend

All the ugly Canadians filling up Jerry cans in Bellinghams Costco. For shame. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 pm
All the ugly Canadians filling up Jerry cans in Bellinghams Costco. For shame. BB
If you think that it is bad now, then just wait until the anti-pipeline people in B.C. get their way and the flow of gas to B.C. slows dramatically and gas goes to $2.00 or $3.00 per litre.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 am
Ballistic Bob wrote:
If you think that it is bad now, then just wait until the anti-pipeline people in B.C. get their way and the flow of gas to B.C. slows dramatically and gas goes to $2.00 or $3.00 per litre.
And you southerners keep your mitts off our Prince George refinery. Gas was still 109.9 when I filled up on Saturday.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:35 am
DanoT wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:
And you southerners keep your mitts off our Prince George refinery. Gas was still 109.9 when I filled up on Saturday.
Here in Richmond at Shell and Esso it was 149.9 last night (which I thought was high, considering evening prices are lower). Then this morning it's 154.9. Prices have been higher for the past month, but this is the peak. The excuse given when it started was low local supply.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:24 am
Hambone wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:35 am
DanoT wrote:

Here in Richmond at Shell and Esso it was 149.9 last night (which I thought was high, considering evening prices are lower). Then this morning it's 154.9. Prices have been higher for the past month, but this is the peak. The excuse given when it started was low local supply.
Every time refineries shut down for maintenance it impacts supply and demand. A shut or turnaround in a refinery can last anywhere from a week to a few weeks. The thing with refineries is they don't keep weeks and weeks worth of finished product on hand. The process is intended to literally make it as fast as it can be trucked away. And it gets trucked away in huge volumes on a daily basis. When I was working as a Buyer at one of the Tumbler Ridge mines a half dozen years ago we went through 100,000 litres of diesel per day. We had 2 more mines in the area using similar volumes. In the grand scheme of mines we were small operations.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've been impressed with the discounts and special ticket packages the Lions have come up with this year.

First it was the $85 season tickets for kids.

Then the team offered season ticket holders a free hot dog and beer or soft drink with any extra tickets ordered for the season opener, as well as $10 kids tickets in certain sections for all games.

Now, with single-game tickets going on sale Tuesday, the club is offering an array of special pricing packages and partnerships, including two tickets for $65 (with two hotdogs and two drinks) for the season opener, and a $29 Save-On-Foods ticket voucher for any regular-season game.

These packages should appeal to fans who balked at attending a Lions game in recent years because of the ticket price.
BC Lions to kickoff 65th season with two-for-$65 deal

(Vancouver) Just a little over a month separates the BC Lions from kicking off their 65th season in the CFL and Vancouver’s most successful professional sports organization is pleased to announce that single game tickets go on sale tomorrow morning at 10:00 am.

To celebrate the return of football, the Lions are pleased to offer fans a home opener special to the Saturday, June 16th match-up with the Montreal Alouettes presented by TELUS which includes two tickets, two hotdogs and two drinks (two Pepsi or Budweiser products) for just $65.

Football means family and the Lions are excited to partner with London Drugs to offer season tickets for just $85 or single game tickets for just $10 each for any game all season long. London Drugs is also the proud partner of the BC Lions Kids Club in 2018 for just $10 per membership, as well as a new kids entrance at Gate C featuring inflatables, face painting, poster making and more designed exclusively for young Lions fans.

While the tremendously popular BC Lions Nissan Tailgate Party outside of Gate A is back for another year, the party doesn’t have to stop there with the introduction of the Beach Party Fun Zone – the incredibly-priced $20 general admission end zone section includes a DJ platform, giveaways and plenty more for those who want party while we play.

Beginning June 1st, the Lions will team-up with Save-On-Foods to bring fans a $29 ticket voucher good for any regular season home game. When Lions fans show their More Rewards Card at the participating Save-On-Foods stores they’ll be eligible to purchase vouchers redeemable for a ticket at BC Place anytime during the 2018 season.
Huge Talent
Starter

That $65 dollar deal should go all summer. And the save on foods partnership is the right idea, but $29 end zone seats isn't gonna pack the place. Maybe $19? And $29 red zone? Why not, it's just leftover seats since they are redeemed at the stadium, presumably on game day upon arrival.

This $20 party zone might be the best idea yet. Cheap and social, hopefully packed with millennials.

Look, the Vancouver Canadians sold out almost every game last few seasons. They get the casuals by charging $12. Many don't pay attention to the game, so they won't pay meaningful dollars. But, get them in and build an atmosphere, sell beer, and slowly rebuild and reinforce the fan base.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Huge Talent wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 pm
That $65 dollar deal should go all summer. And the save on foods partnership is the right idea, but $29 end zone seats isn't gonna pack the place. Maybe $19? And $29 red zone? Why not, it's just leftover seats since they are redeemed at the stadium, presumably on game day upon arrival.

This $20 party zone might be the best idea yet. Cheap and social, hopefully packed with millennials.

Look, the Vancouver Canadians sold out almost every game last few seasons. They get the casuals by charging $12. Many don't pay attention to the game, so they won't pay meaningful dollars. But, get them in and build an atmosphere, sell beer, and slowly rebuild and reinforce the fan base.
:whs:

A sure sign the Skulsky era is in their rearview mirror with multiple ticket deals now available. It's still going to take the Lions showing they are capable of playing back to the entertaining form of 2016 before casual fans consider returning to BC Place. But at least there are now offers and deals in place to get the larger crowds if they are playing well and and a popular rival comes to town.

I would be trying to paper that party zone for the first couple of games to try and create an atmosphere. But a great idea for sure.

I'm still concerned about those rows upon rows of empty $90 seats between the 20-30 yard-lines on both sides thanks to a much smaller season ticket base. Terrible optics on TV.
As good as the student ticket deal is it's still not what Ackles offered with the buy-one-get-one free student vouchers that covered all pricing categories. Getting 2 good sideline seats for $90 would be appealing never mind filling in those empty spaces.