Rod Pederson is rumoring Lulay to Riders (potentially)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthre ... ers-Rumour

http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... -to-regina

I don't know how this Hack reporter has any kind of gainful employment. Grasping at straws to keep the Rider faithful in a frenzy.....
CardiacKid
Legend

Pederson is the CFL equivalent of Breitbart and Ann Coulter. As far as he is concerned, anything he spits out that inspires ire, ill-will and negative feedback is still good for the Riders. All publicity is good publicity and if it reflects badly on the league but helps make the Rider faithful circle the wagons and scream for a waaaahmbulance, all the better.

Truth and sober reporting is for suckers. Whoops sorry Rod, didn't mean to type "sober". There, I just pulled a Rod Pedersen; throw out some troll-like insinuation he has fallen off the wagon and is back to his old habits. (For the record, Pedersen has been forthcoming about his alcoholic past and how it cost him work. Last I read, he is now sober and does community work helping others with the same issue).

This business last year with the Anti-Rider conspiracy at CFL head-office theory he peddled, is a pretty good example of how he regards his role. He advertised himself as the voice of "Canada's Team" but then he will throw out the defense "that he isn't a journalist, he is just a play by play guy...you can't take him that seriously" when he starts to get blow-back. Last year when he was peddling his crap, I posted on his blog stating he was not doing anyone any favours with his nonsense. He replied back to me, "why did I bother reading his blog"? I sent him a thoughtful, sincere reply that avoided finger-pointing that said a lot of CFL fans are also Rough Rider fans but keep up this nonsense, a lot of the good-will the Riders enjoy will go by the wayside.

He declined to post my reply.

In actuality, Pedersen is not a journalist a la Lowell Ullrich, Kirk Penton, Gary Lawless, etc. but he does get an inordinate number of opportunities to air his laundry. IMO he does so in a less than thoughtful way.
maxlion
Legend

Mike Beamish reported it first. Rod Pederson just responded to Beamish's article.

Anyways, zero chance this happens in my opinion. Lulay is in a role now where he can make a positive impact and is well paid for it, while being groomed for coaching employment down the line. Hard to believe he would give that up for a fantasy shot at re-living past glories.
almo89
Legend

maxlion wrote:Mike Beamish reported it first. Rod Pederson just responded to Beamish's article.

Anyways, zero chance this happens in my opinion. Lulay is in a role now where he can make a positive impact and is well paid for it, while being groomed for coaching employment down the line. Hard to believe he would give that up for a fantasy shot at re-living past glories.
I agree. The moment Lulay decided to back up Jennings, he's already made up his mind that he's done being a starter and mentally moved on. There's probably a Huf/Dickenson type succession plan and getting Lulay started now could pay huge dividends.
CardiacKid
Legend

almo89 wrote:
maxlion wrote:Mike Beamish reported it first. Rod Pederson just responded to Beamish's article.

I agree. The moment Lulay decided to back up Jennings, he's already made up his mind that he's done being a starter and mentally moved on. There's probably a Huf/Dickenson type succession plan and getting Lulay started now could pay huge dividends.
We could be seeing some very familar faces patrolling the sidelines in the next couple of years with clipboards and coaches gear. We have Lulay already doing the player/mentor role with Jennings and from several different perspectives, it appears like he will be filling some sort of official coaching role when he hangs up his cleats. There also has been some speculation (not contradicted by Wally) that Ryan Philips might not fit in the Lion's plans as a player next year but a new/different coaches position will be available on the defence, perhaps created especially for Ryan. And of course we have Geroy already part of the football side brain trust; maybe an eventual candidate for GM?

Personally I like the notion of continuity amongst a coaching staff, granted the guys filling the roles are good at what they do. I think we have a general consensus that Travis would seem to be a good coach; an excellent leader and very team oriented guy who seems to also be a good communicator. Ryan would also seem to be cut from the same cloth; a leader amongst the players and good, positive communicator.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Lulay going to Saskatchewan would be purrfect for Lulay IF he wanted to be the designated starter for any other team next season. BUT, nothing I have seen or heard from Lulay suggests he wants to trade everything he has going for him in BC for a shot to start in Saskatchewan. He is likely a year or two from retiring as a player. He lives in the most beautiful part of Canada, works for a (by CFL standards) an extremely well run organisation, and has a career path post-playing days laid out for him. If starting was the most important thing to Lulay he could have tested free agency last year.

However, I do not doubt that Jones has or will make inquiries about the possibility of getting Lulay. I just don't see Lulay leaving BC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:Lulay going to Saskatchewan would be purrfect for Lulay IF he wanted to be the designated starter for any other team next season. BUT, nothing I have seen or heard from Lulay suggests he wants to trade everything he has going for him in BC for a shot to start in Saskatchewan. He is likely a year or two from retiring as a player. He lives in the most beautiful part of Canada, works for a (by CFL standards) an extremely well run organisation, and has a career path post-playing days laid out for him. If starting was the most important thing to Lulay he could have tested free agency last year.

However, I do not doubt that Jones has or will make inquiries about the possibility of getting Lulay. I just don't see Lulay leaving BC.
When the Riders signed Glenn that closed the door on the extremely remote possibility of Lulay going there. As for last year I think a big part of the reason Lulay re-signed with BC on the eve of free agency was because there were no starting opportunities out there for him to pursue. Realistically he options were to be backup to Jennings and be ready should Jennings stumble a bit or go elsewhere to be somebody else's backup.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.