Free Agent Market and Free Agent Camps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:Bighill is gone. Signed with the Saints for what I believe is a 3 year deal including a signing bonus.

I hope we see Lokombo inked to an extension soon' not simply because he is a National but because he is an under utilized talent. The team was extremely lucky (*poop* horseshoes lucky) to get him in a Leo's uniform; don't frak it up.
Bighill signing in the NFL is what I had hoped for because now the Lions can offer Lokombo a starting linebacker spot playing beside Solly. No other CFL can offer that good of a situation, so if Wally offers decent dollars, then it will be an offer that Lokombo can't refuse. :beer:
Unless he gets an NFL offer. Bo was reportedly working out for Cleveland recently. Certainly if his NFL workouts don't bear fruit I like the odds of him staying in BC.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

David wrote:I wish Bighill well but I am not heartbroken over this.

To my way of thinking, it was an inefficient use of the $5.1M salary cap to be tied up in two excellent linebackers. Team100 was a great branding moniker, but I am Team Solly now. We have LB Dyshawn Davis who played at a pretty big school in Syracuse (7 alums are currently active on NFL rosters) and is champing at the bit for his chance. He showed well at the 2016 training camp and was on our PR all season. Plus, as mentioned, there's Bo who needs to play in order to get better. Let's use the $$ freed up by Bighill's departure to get guys like Bo locked up.

DH :cool:
You could bring hoffman-ellis type guy in for less than 100k, use bighill money elsewhere (receiver, OLine or DLine)

Or play Bo and use an american safety. I don't see them paying bo even close to the average CFL salary (111k) until he proves himself as a starter
Last edited by Qman on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CardiacKid
Legend

With the departure of Bighill, I expect the restrictions of the salary cap have been significantly loosened. I think the team should stick with the linebackers within the fold (Lokombo and Davis) and see about getting that impact defensive end. IMO there is enough talent in the tackle pool (Uko, Forde, Brooks, Bryant, Westermann) that the team can focus the bulk of its $ work for the dline on an end.
Wonder where things are at for Tristan Okpalaugo?
Qman
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:With the departure of Bighill, I expect the restrictions of the salary cap have been significantly loosened. I think the team should stick with the linebackers within the fold (Lokombo and Davis) and see about getting that impact defensive end. IMO there is enough talent in the tackle pool (Uko, Forde, Brooks, Bryant, Westermann) that the team can focus the bulk of its $ work for the dline on an end.
I would give bighills money to Brooks who is a FA

Okpalaugo would be and upgrade over Westermann, but he is going to try NFL again. He made 61k for 3 games with redbacks at end of the year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:

To my way of thinking, it was an inefficient use of the $5.1M salary cap to be tied up in two excellent linebackers. Team100 was a great branding moniker, but I am Team Solly now. We have LB Dyshawn Davis who played at a pretty big school in Syracuse (7 alums are currently active on NFL rosters) and is champing at the bit for his chance. He showed well at the 2016 training camp and was on our PR all season. Plus, as mentioned, there's Bo who needs to play in order to get better. Let's use the $$ freed up by Bighill's departure to get guys like Bo locked up.

You could bring hoffman-ellis type guy in for less than 100k, use bighill money elsewhere (receiver, OLine or DLine)

Or play Bo and use an american safety. I don't see them paying bo even close to the average CFL salary (111k) until he proves himself as a starter
Wally also raved about Cameron Ontko when he signed him in July as a late cut of the Stampeders. Ontko led the Lions in special-teams tackles this year despite playing just 15 games, and will probably get a shot at Bighill's spot unless Wally wants to use the roster spot for a national.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sorry to see Bighill leave but I wish him all the best. Class guy.
CardiacKid
Legend

Qman wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:With the departure of Bighill, I expect the restrictions of the salary cap have been significantly loosened. I think the team should stick with the linebackers within the fold (Lokombo and Davis) and see about getting that impact defensive end. IMO there is enough talent in the tackle pool (Uko, Forde, Brooks, Bryant, Westermann) that the team can focus the bulk of its $ work for the dline on an end.

Okpalaugo would be and upgrade over Westermann, but he is going to try NFL again. He made 61k for 3 games with redbacks at end of the year.
Are you maybe thinking of National Cleyon Laing? Laing was a late season signing with the RedBlacks and recently got his release to pursue the NFL one more time. Okpalaugo was a pretty effective rush end for the Argos who signed with the KC Chiefs after the 2015 season but is a free agent once more. He is very mobile for a guy who is 6'6" and 250lbs. Of the defensive ends available for free agency last year, I thought Willie Jefferson was the best available followed by Okpalaugo.

I would love for the team to get Jefferson but the Riders would be stupid to let him go.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Qman wrote:

Wally also raved about Cameron Ontko when he signed him in July as a late cut of the Stampeders. Ontko led the Lions in special-teams tackles this year despite playing just 15 games, and will probably get a shot at Bighill's spot unless Wally wants to use the roster spot for a national.
Forgot about Ontko, he strikes me as very similar to Bighill. If only how he works and hustles when on the field. His teammates seem to respect him too, based on the props he gets during the game ball videos. A dark horse candidate to replace Bighill perhaps but certainly worthy of consideration.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: Wally also raved about Cameron Ontko when he signed him in July as a late cut of the Stampeders. Ontko led the Lions in special-teams tackles this year despite playing just 15 games, and will probably get a shot at Bighill's spot unless Wally wants to use the roster spot for a national.
Forgot about Ontko, he strikes me as very similar to Bighill. If only how he works and hustles when on the field. His teammates seem to respect him too, based on the props he gets during the game ball videos. A dark horse candidate to replace Bighill perhaps but certainly worthy of consideration.
Ontko played strong safety in college and ran a 4.48 40 at Cal Poly's pro day. That matches the time recorded by Anthony Gaitor at Florida International, making them two of the fastest guys on the team after Chris Rainey and Terrell Sinkfield. Ontko could play nickel or either of the LB spots. Then Mark Washington could drop him 30 yards deep in a Cover-2 or Cover-3 defence. :wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: Wally also raved about Cameron Ontko when he signed him in July as a late cut of the Stampeders. Ontko led the Lions in special-teams tackles this year despite playing just 15 games, and will probably get a shot at Bighill's spot unless Wally wants to use the roster spot for a national.
Ontko played strong safety in college and ran a 4.48 40 at Cal Poly's pro day. That matches the time recorded by Anthony Gaitor at Florida International, making them two of the fastest guys on the team after Chris Rainey and Terrell Sinkfield. Ontko could play nickel or either of the LB spots. Then Mark Washington could drop him 30 yards deep in a Cover-2 or Cover-3 defence. :wink:
LOL

Are we deep enough there? Get back. Get back.

Not quite in position to attack. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lowell Ullrich has an interesting take on the salary cap issues that led to Bighill's departure, as well as updating the status of many of the Lions' other potential free agents, and even the (again) pending retirement of Dennis Skulsky. A few excerpts:
Roughly a year ago, Buono was feeling a salary cap squeeze and asked Bighill to restructure a contract that was worth around $195,000 at the time.

The linebacker agreed, but in exchange asked to reduce his commitment to the Lions by a season. In essence, Bighill paid for his tryout chance that has proven to be successful. For the sake of around $35,000, the Lions may have to completely rework their defence when they already had one of their key cogs locked up through the 2017 season.
Before Leone signed this week Buono said he was willing to use two roster spots next season if his punter returned but the plan has taken another turn. B.C.’s best free agent option took himself off the market last month when White Rock kicker Sean Whyte re-signed in Edmonton. Next-best move might be Victoria’s Quinn Van Gylswyk, who is under contract with Saskatchewan having been buried on the practice roster upon being drafted before last season.
Pending CFL free agents trying to make it in the NFL face an uphill climb considering the limited available signing bonus pool available, though some teams have become creative. If tryout workouts are your guide, the next player most likely to be lost by the Lions after Leone and Bighill is Mich’ael Brooks, who has worked out for seven clubs (Patriots, Vikings, Cardinals, Jets, Seahawks, Cowboys, Jaguars) so far. Bryan Burnham, Alex Bazzie, Anthony Gaitor and Bo Lokombo are other players who have made the rounds.

Brooks isn’t likely coming back to the Lions even if he doesn’t land an NFL deal, telling friends he was looking for a new contract in the order of $200,000 to play out of position if he came back. B.C. also isn’t expected to wave huge dollars at Bazzie, but increases the chances they will make a play at fellow free agents Bryant Turner and Jabar Westerman just to keep a portion of the defensive line intact.
The two-year Elimimian deal, which came with another year added to his most recent contact, is great news for the backbone of the defence however before Buono left on vacation he strongly suggested the club would not have enough under cap to take on the salary of 12-year veteran Ryan Phillips. B.C. has, however, created a vacancy for a defensive coach and the only position not filled in Washington’s staff is for a defensive backs assistant.
Veteran cornerback Brandon Stewart was injured in the West Division final blowout loss which ended the season for the Lions in Calgary. Stewart not only won’t likely be ready for training camp but may not play at all in 2017 owing to reconstructive knee surgery. Small wonder why the Lions and Keynan Parker have agreed to a new contract prior to free agency.
Bighill exit didn’t have to be big problem

This is shaping up as an interesting offseason. I'm already looking forward to training camp. Is it June yet?
squishy35
Legend

Lumbala has re-upped for 2 more seasons....

http://www.bclions.com/2017/01/05/lumbala-new-deal/
Qman
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:
Qman wrote:

Are you maybe thinking of National Cleyon Laing? Laing was a late season signing with the RedBlacks and recently got his release to pursue the NFL one more time. Okpalaugo was a pretty effective rush end for the Argos who signed with the KC Chiefs after the 2015 season but is a free agent once more. He is very mobile for a guy who is 6'6" and 250lbs. Of the defensive ends available for free agency last year, I thought Willie Jefferson was the best available followed by Okpalaugo.

I would love for the team to get Jefferson but the Riders would be stupid to let him go.
yeah, sorry. was thinking of Laing
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Lowell Ullrich has an interesting take on the salary cap issues that led to Bighill's departure, as well as updating the status of many of the Lions' other potential free agents, and even the (again) pending retirement of Dennis Skulsky. A few excerpts:
Roughly a year ago, Buono was feeling a salary cap squeeze and asked Bighill to restructure a contract that was worth around $195,000 at the time.

The linebacker agreed, but in exchange asked to reduce his commitment to the Lions by a season. In essence, Bighill paid for his tryout chance that has proven to be successful. For the sake of around $35,000, the Lions may have to completely rework their defence when they already had one of their key cogs locked up through the 2017 season.
Before Leone signed this week Buono said he was willing to use two roster spots next season if his punter returned but the plan has taken another turn. B.C.’s best free agent option took himself off the market last month when White Rock kicker Sean Whyte re-signed in Edmonton. Next-best move might be Victoria’s Quinn Van Gylswyk, who is under contract with Saskatchewan having been buried on the practice roster upon being drafted before last season.
Pending CFL free agents trying to make it in the NFL face an uphill climb considering the limited available signing bonus pool available, though some teams have become creative. If tryout workouts are your guide, the next player most likely to be lost by the Lions after Leone and Bighill is Mich’ael Brooks, who has worked out for seven clubs (Patriots, Vikings, Cardinals, Jets, Seahawks, Cowboys, Jaguars) so far. Bryan Burnham, Alex Bazzie, Anthony Gaitor and Bo Lokombo are other players who have made the rounds.

Brooks isn’t likely coming back to the Lions even if he doesn’t land an NFL deal, telling friends he was looking for a new contract in the order of $200,000 to play out of position if he came back. B.C. also isn’t expected to wave huge dollars at Bazzie, but increases the chances they will make a play at fellow free agents Bryant Turner and Jabar Westerman just to keep a portion of the defensive line intact.
The two-year Elimimian deal, which came with another year added to his most recent contact, is great news for the backbone of the defence however before Buono left on vacation he strongly suggested the club would not have enough under cap to take on the salary of 12-year veteran Ryan Phillips. B.C. has, however, created a vacancy for a defensive coach and the only position not filled in Washington’s staff is for a defensive backs assistant.
Veteran cornerback Brandon Stewart was injured in the West Division final blowout loss which ended the season for the Lions in Calgary. Stewart not only won’t likely be ready for training camp but may not play at all in 2017 owing to reconstructive knee surgery. Small wonder why the Lions and Keynan Parker have agreed to a new contract prior to free agency.

This is shaping up as an interesting offseason. I'm already looking forward to training camp. Is it June yet?
God bless LU and his passion for still covering the Lions. He hits one out of the park with this article. So many juicy nuggets. Phillips likely heading towards retirement and a potential coaching position. Brooks looking for $200,000 and Wally saying no thanks. Not keen on bringing Bazzie back either. Major knee surgery for Stewart.

As said by others, Loved Bighill's play, his passion and his efforts in the community. However, that much cap space tied up into two international linebackers doesn't make a lot of sense. For all the big numbers Team 100 produced, it's a defensive scheme that has plenty of shortcomings and has been badly exposed in the playoff the last 3 or 4 years.

The Lions having almost a blank canvass and a lot of cap room to play with on defence isn't a bad thing at all.
CardiacKid
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Lowell Ullrich has an interesting take on the salary cap issues that led to Bighill's departure, as well as updating the status of many of the Lions' other potential free agents, and even the (again) pending retirement of Dennis Skulsky. A few excerpts:

God bless LU and his passion for still covering the Lions. He hits one out of the park with this article. So many juicy nuggets. Phillips likely heading towards retirement and a potential coaching position. Brooks looking for $200,000 and Wally saying no thanks. Not keen on bringing Bazzie back either. Major knee surgery for Stewart.

As said by others, Loved Bighill's play, his passion and his efforts in the community. However, that much cap space tied up into two international linebackers doesn't make a lot of sense. For all the big numbers Team 100 produced, it's a defensive scheme that has plenty of shortcomings and has been badly exposed in the playoff the last 3 or 4 years.

The Lions having almost a blank canvass and a lot of cap room to play with on defence isn't a bad thing at all.
If the team can get Ronnie Yell and TJ Lee back for next year to go with Parker (and Gaitor and Fenner? Can't remember if they are FAs or under contract for 2017), the secondary could be considered the strength of the team.

I have from time to time pondered the numbers of the linebacking corps in terms of tackles, etc and though of how other units get measured. If you looked at the stats of the Calgary receiving corps, they don't jump out at you. Certainly nothing there to make you think the Stamps are a formidable team when it comes to offense and yet they were. Perhaps there is a flip side to that particular situation; perhaps individual stats and having league leaders in your unit are very misleading. Not to knock the achievements of SolE and Biggie (who are true Hall of Famers) but perhaps it pays to step back and look at the bigger picture?

Bullpen by committee so to speak....