Free Agent Market and Free Agent Camps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports 2h2 hours ago

Been told it's looking good for #BCLions kicker Richie Leone to sign in the NFL in the next week or so. Down to 2 teams.
Leone clearly has the leg (and the versatility should a team be looking for a punter who can back-up the kicker in an emergency), but does he have the pinpoint accuracy they look for down there? You often have to punt (the nose of the football) from mid-field and have the ball fair-caught inside the 10 yard line. Punting for distance is just part of a punter's job in the NFL.

DH :cool:
He also can handle KO duties which just as often as not are handled by the punter in the NFL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
pennw
Legend

Signed with the Arizona Cardinals . Should make their team , their punter averages 43 yds .Many put emphasis on getting the punt close to the 1 at the sideline , but IMO being able to punt a 58 yarder consistently from your own 20 far out weighs that . In the NFL they are less concerned with angling toward the corner and more interested in hang time plus distance and Richie excels at that . He was much criticized on this board for his accuracy but I think he will be greatly missed should we be stuck with another 38 yarder and we consistently get opponents starting in our side of center field again like we did before Leone came along .
David
Team Captain

True. 49.5 (2015) and 49.3 (2016) yard punting averages were an amazing accomplishment. Richie should be commended for continually hemming teams deep and kicking us out of trouble. He seemed to really enjoy his time in Canada and I wish him well. :thup:

While we won't likely be able to replace those averages any time soon, the goal should be to draft and groom a National who can capably handle both duties, like Lirim Hajrullahu. In the meantime, Swayze Waters would be a great addition to handle both. Failing that, I would not be averse to signing a punter (who can handle kick-off duties) and bring McCallum back to handle field goal duties. I believe he can still do it.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sorry David but it's time for Paul to hang 'em u permanently. I could settle for McCallum if he could still adequately handle all the duties but he's effectively 3/4 of one FG kicker now. It puts the lot of pressure on an offence when the know they have to get the ball down inside the 40 to be at the outer edge of their kicker's range.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anybody got the goods on Bighill's NFL workouts coming ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/lions-free-agent-leon ... s-1.643135

So back to needing a punter/FG kicker. Who do we have on tap?

Mod Edit - please note, Leone signing has already been covered extensively in "Free Agent" thread, so have merged this with others. Thanks.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721 15h15 hours ago
Eagles reported tryout: WR Bryan Burnham
At 26 and coming off breakthrough season, really think Burnham takes one final crack at NFL with signing bonus not being a complete factor. He has established his value up here and a number of CFL teams will pursue him. Would be thrilled to see him back but don't think it would be as soon as training camp in June.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Howard Balzer ‏@HBalzer721 15h15 hours ago
Eagles reported tryout: WR Bryan Burnham
At 26 and coming off breakthrough season, really think Burnham takes one final crack at NFL with signing bonus not being a complete factor. He has established his value up here and a number of CFL teams will pursue him. Would be thrilled to see him back but don't think it would be as soon as training camp in June.
As a Lion fan, I will miss Burnham, if he does not end up back here. He is a highlight reel, with his own unique style. Great hands. Lots of bounce in his stride and leaps. Gets open. And catches balls even when under extreme pressure. This fan could not ask for more.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Burnham pix ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
green road kill
Rookie

Scratch one more of the list,Keynan Parker just re upped with the Leo's. This is a good signing by Wally, he plaid pretty well when his number was called last year.
squishy35
Legend

green road kill wrote:Scratch one more of the list,Keynan Parker just re upped with the Leo's. This is a good signing by Wally, he plaid pretty well when his number was called last year.

http://www.bclions.com/2017/01/04/keyna ... extension/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Good move. Parker is in a fashion becoming BC's defensive version of Paris Jackson later in his career. While he could probably start he brings even more value as someone who is excellent on teams and is getting close to the point where Wally is probably confident in throwing him out as a mid-game injury replacement for any of the 5 secondary positions. It's huge having someone like that. Many teams might have to juggle 2 or 3 positions to make 1 injury replacement.
CardiacKid
Legend

Bighill is gone. Signed with the Saints for what I believe is a 3 year deal including a signing bonus.

I hope we see Lokombo inked to an extension soon' not simply because he is a National but because he is an under utilized talent. The team was extremely lucky (*poop* horseshoes lucky) to get him in a Leo's uniform; don't frak it up.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:Bighill is gone. Signed with the Saints for what I believe is a 3 year deal including a signing bonus.

I hope we see Lokombo inked to an extension soon' not simply because he is a National but because he is an under utilized talent. The team was extremely lucky (*poop* horseshoes lucky) to get him in a Leo's uniform; don't frak it up.
Bighill signing in the NFL is what I had hoped for because now the Lions can offer Lokombo a starting linebacker spot playing beside Solly. No other CFL can offer that good of a situation, so if Wally offers decent dollars, then it will be an offer that Lokombo can't refuse. :beer:
David
Team Captain

I wish Bighill well but I am not heartbroken over this.

To my way of thinking, it was an inefficient use of the $5.1M salary cap to be tied up in two excellent linebackers. Team100 was a great branding moniker, but I am Team Solly now. We have LB Dyshawn Davis who played at a pretty big school in Syracuse (7 alums are currently active on NFL rosters) and is champing at the bit for his chance. He showed well at the 2016 training camp and was on our PR all season. Plus, as mentioned, there's Bo who needs to play in order to get better. Let's use the $$ freed up by Bighill's departure to get guys like Bo locked up.

Roar, You Lions, Roar