Free Agent Market and Free Agent Camps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Ianuzzi dissing NEWS1130 saying he has not signed with the Lions yet.
Hey Marco why not just reply to one of their "40 texts" or whatever they sent you and verify your status rather than criticizing one of the few media people in this town that actually care about CFL free agency.
Where or how is Iannuzzi dissing NEWS1130?
Much ado about nothing. He had not yet signed as of last night. He has now.
The BC Lions Football Club today announced that national receiver Marco Iannuzzi has re-signed with the team through 2018. Iannuzzi was eligible to become a free agent later today.

“Marco is an important and underrated part of our offence who we can count on to give us consistent performances,” said GM and head coach Wally Buono. “His ability to contribute on offence and on special teams makes this signing a very important one for the club.”

Originally joining the Lions as the club’s first-round selection (sixth overall) in the 2010 CFL Draft, the Calgary native enters his eighth season with the Leos and comes off a 2016 season which included career-highs in receiving yards (360), punt returns (22) and punt return yards (232).

The veteran receiver now sits two games shy of 100 for his career and has racked-up 107 receptions for 1,237 yards and eight touchdowns. A tireless contributor in the community, Marco earned the CFL’s Tom Pate Award last season.
bclions.com article
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Farhan Lalji believes the Lions could be in on Chris Williams.
That would be a huge upgrade on Sinkfield but it would also force a ratio change to bump Gore or Iannuzzi from the starting lineup if Arceneaux, Burnham and Moore are the three inside receivers. I don't see Wally making that move but I would welcome it.
Lions could easily go with just Gore as a starting NAT receiver, 4 starting O lineman and 2 starting NATs on D in Parker and/or Menard plus a NAT at Free Safety. Or just Gore and 3 NATs starting O lineman and 3 starting NATs on D.

Lions have enough quality NATs to start 8 of them without having a NAT backup for each guy and then substitute with a INT if one of the NATs gets injured.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Farhan Lalji believes the Lions could be in on Chris Williams.
That would be a huge upgrade on Sinkfield but it would also force a ratio change to bump Gore or Iannuzzi from the starting lineup if Arceneaux, Burnham and Moore are the three inside receivers. I don't see Wally making that move but I would welcome it.
Lions could easily go with just Gore as a starting NAT receiver, 4 starting O lineman and 2 starting NATs on D in Parker and/or Menard plus a NAT at Free Safety. Or just Gore and 3 NATs starting O lineman and 3 starting NATs on D.

Lions have enough quality NATs to start 8 of them without having a NAT backup for each guy and then substitute with a INT if one of the NATs gets injured.
True. And with Williams likely to miss the first half of the season due to injury, ratio considerations are secondary. When he's healthy, the options will be more clear.
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote: True. And with Williams likely to miss the first half of the season due to injury, ratio considerations are secondary. When he's healthy, the options will be more clear.
It actually sounds like Williams could be ready for the start of training camp, at least according to the TSN broadcast today.

I gotta say, huge fan of bringing in Williams. He would arguably be our top receiver, but him with Arceneaux and Burnham would be the best trio in the CFL. Throw Nick Moore and Shawn Gore in there and I don't see a deeper receiving group out there. The challenge will be how do we distribute the ball among them to keep them all happy.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ryan Phillips has signed in Montreal, where he is expected to play safety.
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
.@ryan_4real21 gets a 1 year deal with Montreal. Likely a much-desired move to safety as well. Should be some fun battles w/ @dariandurant
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions reportedly sign Tony Burnett for $85k.
Roar you Lions roar!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: The challenge will be how do we distribute the ball among them to keep them all happy.
Easy. Throw to the one that's open.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Easy. Throw to the one that's open.
That would require a major adjustment from Jennings. He knows Arceneaux and Burnham don't have to get separation to make catches, so he likes to throw to them wherever they are.
CardiacKid
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: True. And with Williams likely to miss the first half of the season due to injury, ratio considerations are secondary. When he's healthy, the options will be more clear.
It actually sounds like Williams could be ready for the start of training camp, at least according to the TSN broadcast today.

I gotta say, huge fan of bringing in Williams. He would arguably be our top receiver, but him with Arceneaux and Burnham would be the best trio in the CFL. Throw Nick Moore and Shawn Gore in there and I don't see a deeper receiving group out there. The challenge will be how do we distribute the ball among them to keep them all happy.
Williams can do some crazy things on the field and make DBs look really foolish. But he had a few ebbs and flows in his 2 years with the Redblacks. One week he is a house on fire, another he is absent. Of course, that can be entirely due to defenses keying on him but he also gets the dropsies..... At least his skill set is distinctive from Burnham and Manny so he can be utilized in a different manner.

I think the Lions would be a little foolish to pursue additional International receivers other than out and out speedsters like Williams.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I hope the Lions sign Williams. Wally likes to have 2 guys out there returning punts. Imagine kicking the ball away from Rainy, only to have it go to Williams or visa versa. :roar:

Or flood a zone with Williams, Rainy, Manny. Who does the opposition double team/cover? :juggle:
CardiacKid
Legend

It would appear that 3downnation.com has crashed. I was checking it out earlier this morning but it is now offline. I guess the interest in CFL free agency is on the upswing :)
DanoT
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:It would appear that 3downnation.com has crashed. I was checking it out earlier this morning but it is now offline. I guess the interest in CFL free agency is on the upswing :)
I'm logged on to 3Downnation and getting regular updates.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:It would appear that 3downnation.com has crashed. I was checking it out earlier this morning but it is now offline. I guess the interest in CFL free agency is on the upswing :)
I'm logged on to 3Downnation and getting regular updates.
It could be a DNS issue but I am definitely having problems connecting.....
VictoriaFan
Starter

CardiacKid
Legend

Herb Zukowsky has tweeted that if the Als sign Jacory Harris, Vernon Adams will be traded or released. If that comes to fruition, the Lions truly fleeced the Als....