Leos/Bombers Semi-Final Post Game Thoughts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Farhan had an interesting point on the post-game analysis on 1410. He felt the Bombers bring more looks to their offense that keep a defense off balance and adjusting when compared to the Stampeders. He wasn't necessarily saying the Bomber's offense is better than the Stamps but he seemed to be saying that for the Leo's D to perform better, it is a more straight forward task. Namely stop BLM.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The Lions came out on top and there were many outstanding plays tonight all in the service of overcoming some ridiculous play. How on earth did we come out in such an important game so ineptly? The O looked tentative, the D looked inept and the coaching seemed equally ponderous. We took the win but we could have and probably should have lost this game. Will Wally finally give up on the GD 2 pointers now that we have a kicker who can probably kick the 1 pointers blindfolded? 2 points could have made a hell of a difference in terms of the what we did on the last TD. Up 3 and one more means that a FG doesn't help, they have to go for a TD. Only a brain fart from O'Shea glossed over that steaming pile of strategy. What next, do we go for short punts next week?
Purifoy takes way too many penalties. Wally should haul him up and tell him that if there are anymore discipline penalties like taunting, he can look for another team. As for roughing the kicker, this was the purrfect time to tell the special teams to lay off a bit. He was kicking from the endzone. Chances are we got the ball around the 40 yard line. This is a coaching issue as much as it is a player issue.
Wally, bring your coaches together and tell them to get their scat together. You need players to be smart, you need coaches to be smarter. They should be reminding the players of the situation that they are facing and what is the best practice for that situation. Think guys think!
As for next week, the attention is now going to shift to the receiving core. How does the team scheme for no Manny Arceneaux. If there is a bright side, it may make it harder for the Stamps to scheme but it also makes it harder for us. I am betting the Stamps are going to look much harder at Burnham and Sinkfield. For that reason, I would probably look at other receivers to step up. Iainuzzi for one. He isn't a great YAC guy but he has decent hands. Do we have someone else to activate? In my dream world, Laval Hawkins takes a 2 week leave from the Fire Dept and comes out of retirement. Not going to happen but I thought I would mention it.
It has already been mentioned but I will say it again. Pull the same poop next week in Calgary and we will be looking at another 35-9 trouncing. The good news is that The Eastern most teams lost to the Western most teams today. If that trend continues it will be a Edmonton - Lions Grey Cup.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Highly doubtful we will see Arceneaux next week IMO. He's a gamer and will want to play but not only was he concussed, but he rolled his ankle. Look for Douglas McNeil to be activated.

I heard that Shawn Gore will be going through protocol on Monday. This doesn't mean he will be cleared to play next week, but he is willing to pending the results. Apparently he's no longer suffering headaches, per the post game show. :cr:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/2016/11//all-acc ... mber-13th/

Amazing locker room scene. So much emotion. Yes, so much love. Like Alex Karass said, even big guys cry.

Adekolu showed nice hands. As did Iannuzzi and Sinkfield.

Amazing efforts all around.

JJ :thup:

JJ24 :thup:

Rainey :thup:

Manny and Burnie and the crew :thup:

OL :thup:

D worked hard. Not a great game, it seems to me. No pressure on Nichols. Scheme, I suspect. Soft zone pass coverage. We did keep Harris in check.

Bombers played almost a per-fect game, by their plans. No turnovers. Aggressive, ballhawking approach. Good O game plan. But we prevailed, in a squeaker.

For this fan, I love watching JJ play. And JJ24 run. And Rainey with the ball in his hands. The Kid can play RB. Check his college tape. It is time to use him, as Wally allowed. And Manny and Burnie with their own unique styles. I love our players, but do not like passive, zone defence.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Alputt
Champion

I am just reliving the moment watching the 4th Quarter on TV and after Manny went down we saw JJ spread the ball around and Ianuzzi, Rainey, Adekolu, Burnham really step up. I am concerned about the loss of #84 for next week, but this whole team is hungry and can hopefully make it happen.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Leone had probably one of his best game punting. He had distance and hang time and angled the football towards the sidelines.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When O'Shea sent the FG team out with 36 seconds left I thought that this is an obvious fake FG attempt, but even if the Lions are ready for it the Bombers only need 4 yards so they might make it. Still, I though a regular 3 down gamble is a better percentage gamble than the fake FG. So I think maybe the Bombers are going for a draw the Lions off side and get the 1st down that way but no they actually try a indoor 61 yard FG for the win. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Trick Play O'Shea tricked himself.

There is a bit of a melt down going on over at Morning Big Blue...no surprise. :wink:

Still I think the Bombers had a good enough season that O'Shea keeps his job and Nichols played well enough this season for the Bombers to re-sign him prior to free agency.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

September 13, 2015. Ottawa at BC. The game when Manny quit on a play where he had a chance to make a catch. Post game Farhan Lalji of TSN said "if you want to make a statement release Manny". I agreed completely. Many Lionbackers did as well. This was also the game where Andrew Harris didn't even bother to shower after the game. He just gave his teammates and the media an "Irish goodbye" and disappeared as soon as the game ended. Tedford had clearly lost the room. Beck was the starting QB. Calls for Wally's head were coming from all quarters.

Five days later, during against Calgary, Beck got hurt. With no other options Tedford finally had to insert Jonathan Jennings into the game. It was as if someone had thrown a switch on the entire team. Especially Manny. All of a sudden he was not only making catches but he was fighting for YAC yards. Jennings turned what was likely going to be another uninspired blowout into what was one of the most exciting losses in recent history. Despite throwing a pick with 10 secs left in what was not going to be a come from behind victory anyway, Jennings proved to me (and others) that he deserved to have been playing prior to Beck's career ending injury. Tedford may deserve credit for discovering Jennings, but he also fully deserves the blame for not using him much earlier in the season.

I still believe that all the dysfunction on the Lions last year was the fault of the coaches. Particularly Tedford and Cortez. How many times early in the season did the Lions play lights out in the first half, only to stop doing everything that was working and wind up losing games they could have easily won? Cortez clearly did not know how to use Harris and Tedford (despite his resume of being a QB guru) seemed to think he could turn John Beck into Dave Dickenson. So yeah, vets like Manny quit on their coaches.

Turns out I could not have been more wrong about how to handle Manny 2015. Credit Wally for recognising the instant chemistry his young QB had with the veteran receiver. Even despite his much improved play in the last 6 games of last season, I did not expect Manny to be re-signed. What a difference in 2016. About the only "criticism" I can make of Manny is that he is so good that perhaps Jennings has been too focused on him at times.

Which brings us to last night. Manny getting knocked out of the game might have been the turning point for the Lions. The team clearly rallied around their wounded warrior. The scene post game in the locker room... wow, "emotional" doesn't begin to describe it. Manny loves this team and the team loves him right back. He has obviously become a team leader, which is kind of rare for "superstar" receivers. Usually those guys have too much ego to really lead others. The CFL doesn't have an award for "most improved teammate" but if they did, Manny gets my vote.

Of course we all hope Manny will be able to play on Sunday, but even if he can't the Lions need to bring him to Calgary anyway.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

What a game. I still didn’t believe the Lions were going to pull it out until Medlock lined up for the 61-yarder. Like many, was thinking O’Shea had something up his sleeve. He really thought that was a better option on 3rd and 5 than Smith and Dressler working on Gaitor and Fenner? Glad the Football Gods were smiling on us.

The atmosphere was electric in the closing minutes and the crowd was great all afternoon. Only 19,000 of us but what a difference when they are all into the game and care about the outcome without any complimentary/sponsor/contra tickets going to disinterested fans.

Lions put themselves in a position where they had to play a near flawless 2nd half to pullout and it took all 30 minutes to do so. What an ugly start in all 3 phases of the game.

Bombers pass protection was superb all afternoon. Lions weren’t getting near Nichols. They limited Harris to 61 yards thanks mainly to the efforts of Solly but it was an otherwise tough afternoon for the defence. Nichols rating was 113.0 fortunately Jennings almost matched him.

It’s going to take a similar effort in Calgary next week to keep it close. Like for much of the 2nd half of the season, our offence is our best defence right now.

Can’t see Manny recovering from that hit in basically 3 days to be practising again by Wednesday. I expect them to activate Harris from the practice roster.
What I’m really hoping for is Jones to revise his game plan and have Johnson and Rainey in the back field together often as a duo running/receiving threat. Rainey needs to be heavily involved to give the Lions another game breaker on the field besides Burnham.

It might take a more ball control type scheme but they need to keep the Stamps off the field. The more time consuming drives the better.

Regardless of the WF outcome, what a great bounce back season for the club under Wally. 12-6 and now the Western Final. I will gladly take it.
Blitz
Team Captain

"That's one of the greatest plays I've ever seen in my life" said Leos Bryan Burnham.
Jonathan Jennings danced around in a rapidly shrinking pocket, dodged a certain sack when pass-rusher Keith Shologan fell sideways instead of forwards, sprinted out to the right and threw a head-fake at fast-closing Bombers safety Taylor Loffler that froze him for just an instant, then raced to the pylon at the goal-line, finally hurdling over DB Bruce Johnson and landing in the promised land.
Jennings late fourth quarter miraculous touchdown run, with 1:33 left in the fourth quarter capped off an 82 yard game winning drive, in which Jennings was purrfect on every throw he made. He converted four clutch second down plays to lead our Leos to a 32-31 miracle comeback victory.
"That’s one of the things I don’t understand about Jennings,” said receiver Bryan Burnham. “He’s a 24-year-old. You think he’d get flustered in situations like we faced early in the game. You think he’d be riled up or down on himself. But he’s always on an even keel. That’s what you need in a quarterback. And he showed up today.”
Matt Nichols played exceptionally and almost flawlessly. The Bombers offensive game plan and strategy, in the first half, under Paul LaPolice was much superior to ours, and had shredded our defense in the first half. Two early turnovers, some bad penalties, and terrible defence had added to the deep hole we had dug for ourselves.

Nichols used misdirection play action throughout the first half of the game to buy lots of time.

Mark Washington's defense was ill prepared, missed assignment after assignment, leaving Bomber receivers wide open. For example, there was no one within 10 yards of Weston Dressler when he snuck behind our defence for a 60-yard pickup, while on the very next play, Smith got behind Ryan Phillips for a 27-yard touchdown. In building a 25-6 lead at one point in the second quarter, Nichols and his receivers had our defensive secondary in full fire-drill mode, confused and looking hopeless.

Trailing throughout the game — 11-0 after the first quarter, 25-6 in the second and 31-19 into the fourth — our Leos were carried to a comeback victory on the strength of Jennings’ arm and his legs. Jennings,completed his last 11 passes, leading our Leos on touchdown drives of 75 and 82 yards in the final 11 minutes. Jennings dive into the end zone, fully extended, his heart on his sleeve, was the purrfect picture for this purrfect ending victory.
Buono said, following the game: “The positive is, a rookie quarterback played in a big game that we hadn’t won a playoff game in a hundred years (well, five), against a good defence, struggled at first, but caught his composure and no way on earth we win without him,” said the coach. "Jennings is an outstanding quarterback" and then heaved a heavy sigh as he sat for his media session.
But in all the important moments, during the second-half comeback, Jennings was startlingly accurate, and courageous, and the full arsenal of his gifts was both required and displayed.
Jonathan Jennings also had to bring our Leos back from the precipice, down 31-19, without Manny Arseneaux, our Leos leading receiver and to to guy. Arseneaux was unconscious before his helmet hit the turf, following a vicious shoulder to helmet hit by Tyler Loffler in the third quarter.

Our Leos receiving crew for our comeback victory, as we outscored the Bombers 13-3 in the final frame, included Stephen Adekolu, with only two career receptions prior to this contest, Shaq Johnson, who had only seen limited action in his first game as a rookie last week, and Terrell Sinkfield, playing in only his seventh game as a Leo. Sometimes confused, Jennings not only had to mount the comeback but also guide these receivers into their positions and routes.

The Loffler hit on Manny ended any more opportunities in this game for the Manny Show and perhaps the rest of the playoffs. The hit galvanized our Leos.
Jennings said "It sparked some emotion, that’s for sure. It got some guys kind of riled up. An emotional shock is kind of what happened. Obviously our teammates are our brothers and to see him get hit like that and go down like that is never, never a good thing. It was hard to watch.”
Buono, who has an 'interesting' view of interpreting the world . Buono said, afer the victory “You look at the first half, and it almost felt like the stage was too big.” No, the stage was not too big for our Leos. Our game preparation sucked. This is a very common pattern for a Buono team. We came out ill prepared for the 2005 WDF and the 2007 WDF. We've come out ill prepared for too many playoff games and had terrible first halves. We got shredded early in the 2012 WDF, which Buono didn't coach, but influenced.
I sometimes think our Leos feel Buono's fear before a big game.
Buono's face was twitching all over the place before the opening kickoff. During the game Buono didn't coach a single player and only got angry a few times, when things didn't go well. Before this game, many Lionbackers, including myself, discussed the importance of not throwing to Arseneaux and Burnham early in this game because we knew the Bombers would be focused on them. Instead we needed to go to our other receivers early.

Yet that direction was not given to Jennings. The Bombers defense played Man/Cover 2 Zone as expected. The first pass of the game was to Areseneaux, who hurt his ankle on the defensive breakup of the pass. The second throw was to Manny on a comeback route and the Bombers jumped it. The focus was on our two first half turnovers but two other drives were snuffed by quarterback sacks. Our offence was not prepared enough to start this game.

Our offence recovered, racking up an impressive 522 yards of offence, including 320 yards of passing and 193 yards of rushing. Many of our rushes were just spectacular plays by Rainey, Johnson, and Jennings. Our offence needed to be that exceptional to win this game and it took star performances to do so.

That's because our defense was abysmal in the first half because Washington had them very ill prepared. We gave up 220 yards of passing in the first half of play. Matt Nichols passed for 390 yards against our defence and 459 yards of total offence, with no interceptions and we didn't record a single sack.

The Bombers had our defense well scouted. You would swear that Washington had not watched a single frame of game tape from previous contests. The Bombers Paul LaPolice used misdirection play action repeatedly in the first half, more than they ever do and we looked like we had never, ever seen it before. Nichols had all day to throw on his sprint outs and his receivers were wide open.

In the fourth quarter, once again, poor coaching almost lost us the game. With Winnipeg pinned on their 13 yard line, we got a roughing the kicker call. In that situation, you tell your punt rushers to be careful and not go for a block. Field position is critical at that juncture. You don't just send on your return team. You gather them on the sidelines and explain the situation.

However, we did make adjustments for the second half of the game and held the Bombers to two second half field goals. But for the first half of this game the Bombers team had been better prepared and we were outcoached.
The stage was too big for Buono and his coaching staff for a playoff game, as it so often is, more than it was for our players. It was their performances that played the major role in overcoming poor first half game planning and strategy.
Here is my GOOD, BAD, AND UGLY

THE GOOD (AND GREAT)

No need to comment much more on Jonathan Jennings play. We've watched something very special this season. First year pro starting quarterbacks don't mount the kind of comebacks, with this type of poise and performance under pressure. They don't throw that accuarately so consistently. I thank Jeff Tedford every game for discovering Jennings.
Stephen Adekolu deserved tremendous credit for his contribution. He should have been getting game reps for the past two seasons. Coming into this game with only two pro receptions, he led our Leos with five receptions in a pressure game.
Chris Rainey made some exceptional runs in this game. But it was his two clutch second down receptions on our final drive that proved not only what an incredible talent he is but also that he is ice cool when its all on the line.
So much happened in the game. It was more than exciting to watch running backs Jeremiah Johnson and Chris Rainey shake, bake and snake their way out of tackles and allow the B.C. offence to finesse its way around the Bombers’ ball-hawking pass defence.
Jeremiah Johnson showed tremendous smarts in this game. Yes he ran for 110 yards on 10 carries and his forty yard touchdown run was a thing of beauty. But more importantly, the Bombers were well prepared to block our inside zone read run. But Johnson, with some outstanding cut backs, broke the football to the outside, where he had to run the football, even though the play was designed inside. I had hoped that Khari would have used some quick toss plays in this game but he didn't.
Perhaps the key play in the game was a very simple run by Jennings, on the zone read option play. It was the first time we had intentionally run the play all season.
With the Bombers keying our inside and shutting down a second and two play earlier in the game (the Bombers had done a great job in the previous two contests of shutting us down on second and 2) Jennings ran the zone read option. The play should have been run earlier in the first half, as was called for on Lionbackers earlier in the week.

The Bombers all went for the fake handoff inside and Jennings kept it and broke outside for the first down. It was the first time this season that we've ran the zone read option. The play opened up our inside run for the rest of the game, as the defensive end no longer crashed down.

Every Leo offensive starter, along with Chris Rainey made key contributions to this game. Byran Burnhan (63 yds) Chirs Rainey (57 yds.), Manny Arseneaux (56 yds), Marco Iannuzzi (55 yds) , Adekolu (48 yds.) Terell Sinkfield (26 yds) and Jeremiah Johnson (24 yds) all contributed as Jennings spread the football around and had to. Adekolu, Iannuzzi, Rainey, and Burnham all make key receptions on our final game winning drive. Jennings completed 75% of his passes, including 11 straight completions to end the game and all of our receivers made clutch catches. Rainey made key play after key play.

One of the keys to our victory was shutting down Harris in the flat in the second half of the game. Whey we were not better prepared early to shut down the flat is hard to answer. But Sol E., in the second half Eliminian made three outstanding plays on Harris in the flat.

Purifoy made an incredible hustle play on a fourth quarter screen pass to Smith, tackling him from behind on second down that was absolutely critical to our victory. Lokombo stopped Harris from converting a second down catch short on a late Bombers fourth quarter drive. Bazzie had a huge second pass knockdown on the Bombers final drive.

THE BAD

Its always more challenging, after such an exciting comeback win, to point out the negative. But a team only gets better if it looks at its errors and makes changes.

The first bad of this game was we were badly outcoached to start this game. We were not prepared mentally and that is on the coaching staff. We were not prepared strategicially and that is on the coaching staff. If this was a one off, I could put more blame ont he players. But we have been poorly prepared mentally and strategically too many times in B.C for a playoff game under Buono. The pattern is there with clarity.

All week long on Lionbackers it was stressed that we needed to start this game not being Manny-centric and Burnham centric. Jennings should have been instrucgted to throw to his other receivers early. Instead his first three passes were to Arseneaux. The first was knocked down. The second pass was an interception. The third was into double coverage and took a purrfect throw by Jennings to complete. The interception was a great play by the Bombers. It was a good comeback route. But we should not have been throwing th the footballs to Manny and Burnham early in the first place.

Jennings first quarter interception and his fumble on the Bombers 13 yard line hurt us early, with 10 Bomber points scroed off those turnovers but Jennings brought us back from an 11 point Bomber lead with a long touchdown drive, capped off by a Burnham inspired catch and run touchdown.
The bigger problem was our defense could not stop the Bombers offence in the second quarter, after we had come back from that early deficit.
The Bombers scored 14 more points in the second quarter, before Jennings was able to drive our Leos to another unconverted touchdown. The drive started at our own 22 yard line and was finished off with a spectacular 40 yard Jeremiah Johnson run. Bad penalties and poor defensive strategy had our defence reeling.

Farhan had an interesting point on the post-game analysis on 1410. He felt the Bombers bring more looks to their offense. He certainly does. But still, there is no excuse for receivers to be as wide open as the Bombers receivers were in the first half. We know the Bombers split the field with their misdirection rollouts.

We should have been blitzing from the wide side, instead of sending Sol E. and Bighill in the A and B gaps. We should have been cheating on pass defence to the outside of the receivers routes, because Nichols can't throw against the grain on his hard sprint outs.

THE UGLY

No play was uglier than the Loffler hit on Manny. Most of the focus will be on Loffler. I played safety during my football playing days and for most of time, Lofflers' play would be considered a clean hit. In fact, its been considered a clean hit by CFL officials many times this season. It was a shoulder to helmet hit. It was borderline for sure. It was horrendous to see Manny unconscious before his head hit the ground. The Bombers Heath had hit Manny in the head earlier in a reception and was penalized.

For me, the bigger question was why were we throwing a deep ball into double coverage to Manny in the first place, with the Bombers playing two deep safety in Man/Cover 2. Its just bad strategy in the first place and Jennings should have been told once again not to throw that type of ball. Even more so, Arseneaux should not have even been given that route to run against Man/Cover 2. We know he will be double covered deep and we know the Bombers will be focused on him. Very sad, agonizing stuff to see. The play should never have happened in the first place.

Secondly the Ontco penalty was ugly and could have lost us the game. That's a bad coaching error. You direct your special team players in that situation, especially in the excitement and intensity of a home playoff game with the score tight and field position critical at that stage. Its a laissez-faire approach just to send the special team out there without clear instruction.
Even more ugly was our convert attempts.
Instead of spreading out our receivers we should have gone to a bunch formation on the wide side of the field. Why we are throwing 30 yard deep passes on convert attempts from the 3 yard line is beyond me. Its bizzare and its not on Jennings. Those are terrible play calls. We should be running quick combination dig or slant or sideline routes, quick crosses, anything other than what we are
using.

Finally, it was an ugly call by O'Shea to go for a 61 yard field goal. Medlock is a great kicker. But it was only third and four, with lots of time left. The higher percentage play was a short pass. Complete even a 5 yard pass and its in Medlock much higher percentage range. Our Leos defense did not have to come up with a big third down stop. Rainey fielded the failed attempt and wisely hit the turf. Game over.

WRAP

This was a game that will stay in my mind forever. Some very special plays by some exceptionally talented players. They play for each other. That is more than obvious. They played exceptionally hard for Manny, following his injury and the emotion in the locker room was special.

This is my favorite all time group of players to watch play football. They play with more heart than any Leo team I've ever watched play.
This was a players win and not a coaches win.

They overcame. They gave it everything. They deserved it!! :roar: :roar:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CardiacKid
Legend

In listening to the postgame breakdown on TSN Radio; the guys, particularly Moj, referenced how they felt the roughing the kicker penalty on Ontko was when the Lions just about truly did themselves in. They had the Bombers pinned deep and would have gotten excellent field position regardless of a Rainey return. But instead the Bombers kept the ball and got 3 more points. So Moj and also I believe Farhan stated they felt the team was done; any of the momentum they were generating went out the door and there would be no more coming back.

But as unfortunate as the penalty was, I believe special teams have to incorporate a level of aggression in their play to compensate for the lack of turnovers by our defence. For all the individual talent on the D (and maybe this is due to the injuries to Yell and Lee) there seems to be a distinct inability across the board to create turnovers.

Its never a good idea to rely upon one's memory in hindsight but I really can only recall Arakgi's strip of Harris in that controversial non-call as an instance where the defence played with the deliberate intention to strip the ball. It doesn't seem guys play to punch the ball out when chasing down a ball carrier. Purifoy really should have had an interception (though I was glad Bazzie had the presence of mind to ensure the pass he blocked hit the turf and wasn't tipped up for a Bomber to potentially catch). Mike Edem seems to go "safety first" when it comes to getting his mitts on the ball.

I would have preferred the rush on the punt be done in the first half when the team really needed some energy but also to get in Medlock's head. Just IMO....
Lionsfan65
Starter

Enough has been said about Jennings but I'll still add my 2 cents.
He is something special, in my opinion probably the best qb in the CFL right now, I know a lot of praise goes toward Mitchell and Reilly, and deservedly so, both are great but neither one has shown the athleticism, poise, and arm that Jennings posses. Considering that he is only 24 we should consider ourselves lucky to have him, my only hope is that the NFL doesn't come calling anytime soon.

Our offence as a whole played well for three quarters, everybody from the line to all the backup receivers we had playing put in a great effort, they will need to be great again next weekend in Calgary.
Our Defence was terrible to start the game, however they stepped up when it mattered most. They will have to tighten up next week. The key to Calgary's offense is Mitchell, if they can put enough pressure on him early that should be the difference.

The atmosphere in the building was something else. Probably the best crowd since the 2011 Grey Cup. 19,000 people who are really into the game at times sounded louder than 54,000. I know that football games are often a tough sell in Vancouver, with the Canucks playing an exciting game across the street and the Seahawks playing right after. The marketing department really needs to put more buts in the sets next season. I know a lot has been said about ticket prices, however I would argue that is not the problem, as a majority of the sidelines (the expensive seats) look pretty full, while there are huge sections of the endzone (the cheap seats) that are unoccupied. In my opinion the Lions need to do a better job of marketing these seats to lower income people who decide to spend their hard earned dollar on tickets.

That being said, congratulations on the win and keep rolling through Calgary.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/2016/11/13/burnh ... ike-a-vet/

Bryan Burnham: "We weren't running any trick plays. We were doing what got us here. People believed in it. And that's all it takes. (Re Jennings) It was unbelievable. That's one of the best football plays I've ever seen in my life. In that kind of clutch situation for him to break away and make a play like that, that was awesome. Growing up as a kid, those are exactly the kind of situations you want to be in. Game on the line, you need one play, and we got it done. It's surreal right now. He's a playmaker. This is his second year, his first full year as a starter. He looks like a vet. It really rubs off on the whole team. The way he commands the huddle, and the team, it is amazing. That's been the story of the season. We get down early, and we claw our way back."

Helluva'n interview. The comeback was surreal, and Burnie found the words to describe it.

Jennings is a very, very special player. And he has company: Manny, Burnie, Rainey, JJ24 on offence.

Special players on defence too, but they were saddled with a pathetic soft zone scheme once again. No pressure on Nichols. Large gaps between defenders and receivers. Confusion.

Offensive game planning was also brain dead to start the game, but incredible talent took the day.

The Bombers game planned brilliantly, on both O and D, executed precisely, but could not stop the avalanche.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dirty hit. By Taylor Loffler. He leaves his feet, aims his shoulder and helmet to make contact with Manny's head. Target hit. Just plain dirty. Some say a player does not know where his helmet is. Baloney. Professionals know such things exactly. Does an MMA guy know where his fists are? Does a golfer know where his clubface is? The helmet is a weapon, if a player chooses to use it as such.

And that is a shame, because Loffler can play. He is a warrior. It is just a dayum shame that such a player would make such a dirty hit.

Just IMO, of course. Glen Suitor defended the dirty hit, as being old school. Well, those old school hits have left many retired players badly damaged, and with extraordinarily high suicide rates.

Disgusting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:"I sometimes think our Leos feel Buono's fear before a big game."
I agree, Blitz.

This CFL fan has coached over 20 years of various boys' and girls' sports. (There can be a price to pay. As noted a few times, for years I could not watch teams that I rooted for. Just too uncomfortable.) At times a coach can fear an opponent, feel too much respect, feel what amounts to fear. (It is not fear of competing, it is fear of losing. Losing is felt to be unacceptable for a number of reasons.) It can be felt by your team. When a coach, in preparation, starts to feel that way, best to ride the feelings of invincibility of those players that lead your team. Sometimes your team can win anyway, even if, on paper, you have no chance.

Wally is a warrior. One can see it in his career. And one can sense his total commitment to each game, his concern, and I think, even his fear of losing. He has his wins, and his championships. No one can take those away, as they say. And he has been doing some of his best work this year. :thup:

Just IMO ...