Duron Carter, Ken Stafford Released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well this was a bit of a surprise. With I think 3 games left in the season, the Als have released two receivers. One who may be among the best talents in the league. Can't really see why an interim coach would make the choice for a major shake up at this point. But I guess it means they save on some salary for the remainder of the year.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JC has to clean out some of the rot, which developed in the coaching stint of Jim Popp.

Carter certainly has some baggage.

Be nice to see Adams get his start.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:JC has to clean out some of the rot, which developed in the coaching stint of Jim Popp.

Carter certainly has some baggage.

Be nice to see Adams get his start.
I wrote, on the CFL thread, that it was a good decision. No question about Carter's talent but he and Stafford have been huge problems in Montreal this season. They are immature, out of control, unprofessional. Good for Chap to do it right now. He laid out what he expected, t had an opportunity to play within that structure, and they didn't change at all. The team will be better off for it in the longer run.

I also wrote that the Als also need to get rid of Cato. He is over-emotional, volatile, as well as being a head case. The decision to go with Adams is also the right move.

Cato has had his opportunities. Quarterback is about leadership and not just throwing footballs. Chap said, earlier this season, that he thought highly of Adams future. I thought Chap might go to Adams right away but Cato had experience so he continued with him for two games.

It will be interesting to see how Adams plays but he will have two new receivers to throw to.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Chap had to get the ok from Popp to release Carter and Stafford. Carter says he's going on to bigger and better things and he's not too worried. He did not see himself as a distraction, says he was not more selfish than other Montreal receivers, and that his teammates liked him.

The reality is that Carter has a long history of problems with maturity and attitude. He obviously can't see himself accurately....not even close.

Alouettes: With decision to drop Duron and Stafford, Chapdelaine shows his resolve
Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette
Published on: October 17, 2016 | Last Updated: October 17, 2016 10:57 PM EDT

Montreal's interim head coach Jacques Chapdelaine decided the Alouettes no longer could function with receivers Duron Carter and Kenny Stafford. John Mahoney / Montreal Gazette

Whether Jacques Chapdelaine returns as Alouettes’ head coach next season, indeed whether this team wins another game, seems inconsequential at this juncture. With one drastic, yet well-orchestrated, move on Monday, Chapdelaine displayed the intestinal fortitude required for the position moving forward.

Montreal’s interim head coach, following three games on the job, decided this team no longer could function with receivers Duron Carter and Kenny Stafford. Perhaps of more significance, he persuaded general manager Jim Popp of as much. Popp, who has had the final say on all personnel matters during his two decades with the team — and the man responsible for signing both players last winter as high-priced free agents — then decided to release both rather than placing them on the six-game injured list.

Popp was the Als’ head coach for the first 12 games this year, of which Montreal lost nine. In supporting Chapdelaine, the argument could be made Popp also has admitted it was a mistake signing both. We also can state this much with a degree of certainty — if Chapdelaine’s going down, he’s going to make sure it’s on his own terms.

Chapdelaine also claimed it’s his decision to start rookie quarterback Vernon Adams Saturday afternoon, when the Als travel to Saskatchewan, benching Rakeem Cato in the process — although it was Popp who traded a first-round draft choice to British Columbia last May for the rights to Adams. With the Als at 4-11, the Lions could well have the first overall pick next year.

While Carter departs as the Als’ leading receiver — he has 61 catches for 938 yards and five touchdowns — he was held without a reception Saturday at Calgary, along with Stafford, his cousin. Carter, the Canadian Football League’s highest-paid receiver, earning $250,000, hasn’t produced a 100-yard effort since Aug. 19, at Ottawa.

Carter was fined and suspended this year after knocking over Redblacks head coach Rick Campbell. He and Stafford also were involved in two highly visible shouting matches during practice with Cato, which were embarrassing to the organization.

Carter clearly was frustrated trying to function in the Als’ dysfunctional offensive system. “The level of frustration he experienced at times was difficult to hide. It was perceived, either through body language or other actions,” Chapdelaine told the Montreal Gazette by telephone from Calgary — the team is staying out west this week for practice.

“I don’t know if Saturday’s game was the last straw, but it gave me answers to my questions and my thought process when I reflected on the situation,” Chapdelaine continued.

One of the first things Chapdelaine complained about following the 22-8 loss to the Stampeders, was a lack of effort from some players whom he didn’t identify. Former Montreal cornerback Davis Sanchez, who was doing radio analysis, said the “body language and effort” from both receivers was “inconceivable” in such a meaningful game.

While the Als remain mathematically alive for the final playoff berth in the East Division, they would have to win their three remaining games while hoping both Hamilton and Toronto continue losing. The Tiger-Cats can clinch that spot with a win or tie at Ottawa this week.

Both players were notified of Chapdelaine’s decision early Monday morning. Both later were advised of their releases. Carter, still in Calgary Monday night, said he didn’t see it coming. He said he believed he was being summoned to a team leaders meeting at 7 a.m., only to find nobody but Chapdelaine present.

“The reason he gave me was the offence wasn’t going to be featuring me. I would be frustrated playing and there was no point in my playing,” Carter told the Montreal Gazette.

Carter, for not the first time this season, reiterated he wasn’t a distraction. Nor was he more selfish than any other receiver. “I feel like all my teammates liked me,” he said before offering a parting shot. “I’m pretty sure, when the season ends, all this stuff will come out, what was going on with the offence. I’m not too worried.

“I’m on to bigger and better things.”

Stafford returned to the Als this season after winning a Grey Cup with Edmonton in 2015. Although he missed six games with a fractured toe, he caught only 16 passes for 215 yards while scoring two touchdowns. He was held without a reception in two of the last four games.

But the biggest condemnation against Stafford came late Saturday, after the Als scored their only touchdown with 16 seconds remaining in the game. Montreal attempted a two-point convert — but Stafford didn’t realize he needed to be on the field. Instead, he was in the midst of a conversation with spectators in the stands, Chapdelaine said.

While the Als — $300,000 over the salary cap according to league sources — will save some money with these moves, both players already have received the bulk of their contracts. Both can sign with other CFL teams, but would be ineligible to be activated for games until 2017. They’ll be replaced by Marcus Henry and Tiquan Underwood, both on the practice roster. Both have CFL experience.
Cato, meanwhile, has displayed repeated skittish behaviour, leading members of the organization to wonder whether he has the mental strength to be a starting quarterback.

“I’ve had conversations with Rakeem as well in terms of his behaviour,” Chapdelaine said. “I think Rakeem has done some good things. At the same time I believe the pressure of the environment is very difficult for a young QB. Were those outbursts a result of that pressure and, am I better to alleviate some of that pressure by removing Rakeem from such a hot spot?”

hzurkowsky@postmedia.com
twitter.com/HerbZurkowsky1
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
The_Pauser
Legend

No question they released two very talented receivers, Carter potentially being the most talented receiver in the entire league; however, I think Montreal is a good example that you can't rely on talent alone without a team being on the same page. They clearly had problems and nobody was on the same page. There were problems between Cato and Carter, and you could see that the locker room was fractured.

Montreal is in a clear rebuild, so out with the old and in with the new. The great thing about football is the next big star could be just around the corner. Clearing the cap space and roster space just opens up an opportunity for the next guy in line.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

The problem is, the Als are not going to win with Cato as their quarterback. Yes, he's capable of some nice throws but he's just not a leader. In fact, I would question his mental health at times. Very odd behaviour last week in Calgary - like 'hitting the deck' at the slightest whiff of a pass rush, then charging off the field after a 2 and out and standing by himself at the end of the bench.

I don't think a cerebral, demanding coach like Chapdelaine and he are a good match.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:The problem is, the Als are not going to win with Cato as their quarterback. Yes, he's capable of some nice throws but he's just not a leader. In fact, I would question his mental health at times. Very odd behaviour last week in Calgary - like 'hitting the deck' at the slightest whiff of a pass rush, then charging off the field after a 2 and out and standing by himself at the end of the bench.

I don't think a cerebral, demanding coach like Chapdelaine and he are a good match.

My prediction is that Chaps will have the interim tag removed at the end of the season and Cato will just be removed.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
David wrote:The problem is, the Als are not going to win with Cato as their quarterback. Yes, he's capable of some nice throws but he's just not a leader. In fact, I would question his mental health at times. Very odd behaviour last week in Calgary - like 'hitting the deck' at the slightest whiff of a pass rush, then charging off the field after a 2 and out and standing by himself at the end of the bench.

no

My prediction is that Chaps will have the interim tag removed at the end of the season and Cato will just be removed.
That's my best guess too unless the Als look outside for a HC.

If the Als do go with Chap, I can see Cavillo as the OC with Chap still calling the plays for another season. That is the way Hufnagel did it with Dickenson. I can see Thorpe back in Montreal but only if he wants to be back there. Thorpe would be the next choice after Chap for HC.

I can see Kavis Reed gone. I can't see Chap wanting him or trusting him.

If Chap does get the job I think he will do ok. He's cerebral and demanding, as David posted and his detachment works better as a HC than a coordinator. There is always that need to be able to have some distance from the players as HC and players expect it. However, they also expect their coordinators to be less demanding and more 'player friendly' than Chap is.
The_Pauser
Legend

Don't count out Marc Trestman coming back as HC in Montreal though.
Roar you Lions roar!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Interim coach is often a difficult position in which to be. One of their core responsibilities, if they either want to keep the job or be considered for other jobs in the future, is to make the tough decision that solves the biggest problems that the newly fired Head Coach refused to. Sometimes that's demoting another assistant, but most often it involves churning out under performing talent or talent that's malicious in the locker room.

So this is a nice way of saying I'm not surprised by this at all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Calvillo isn't demoted during the offseason if Chaps is retained (which I'm still not convinced will happen).
CardiacKid
Legend

Duron Carter has million dollar hands attached to a 10 cent head. And his claims about being a good teammate whom everybody loves are Trump-level delusional. He also is probably overestimating his appeal to the NFL; an Indianapolis newspaper described his tryout with the Colts as a complete flameout. He showed promise in training camp but completely imploded in the preseason game action.
I tend to feel for most CFL players when they get released or their careers otherwise come to an end. In the context of pro sports, they don't get paid much and job security is zilch. But for Carter, a hearty sayonara and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.
caobax
Rookie

that is how calgary or w. bomber load up skits. substitute on special teams start until an opponent scores after reaching -midfield. Rapper darts Raine Mane Sir Rainey.

we make no fumbles schemes when-ever up on an opponent by inserting (three faucet west allstars) Elimimian & Or JEN., JO., and Lulay, L. since the viacom posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=28734#wire(d)_live.

(Keep the text size normal. Thank you. Mod Staff)
CardiacKid
Legend

caobax wrote:that is how calgary or w. bomber load up skits. substitute on special teams start until an opponent scores after reaching -midfield. Rapper darts Raine Mane Sir Rainey.

we make no fumbles schemes when-ever up on an opponent by inserting (three faucet west allstars) Elimimian & Or JEN., JO., and Lulay, L. since the viacom posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=28734#wire(d)_live.

I'll have what he's having... :popcorn:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
caobax wrote:that is how calgary or w. bomber load up skits. substitute on special teams start until an opponent scores after reaching -midfield. Rapper darts Raine Mane Sir Rainey.

I'll have what he's having... :popcorn:
Judging by the high level of incoherence, I would say whatever he is having is probably not legal. :wink:
caobax
Rookie

Any whereabout rumors on these two? Hopefully, they start watching a lot of highlights on their career, instead of their new team mates blind spots.