Leos sign FA receiver Terrell Sinkfield

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

The club has strengthened an already imposing attack by announcing the signing today of Terrell Sinkfield, formerly of the Ti-Cats (where he was a 1,000 yard receiver), who most recently attended the Minnesota Vikings training camp.

The versatile speedster can also run back kicks. The Lions also signed a DB with NFL experience in Jeremy Harris HERE.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Big move by Wally. Word last week was he was headed back to Hamilton. Likely just to push and eventually replace Boldewijn but would love to see the Lions go with an extra international receiver (for Ianuzzi) and tweak the ratio elsewhere.
It shouldn't be the offensive line at this point of the season, even if Boyko arrives but perhaps on defensive line? Wally said he wanted more production out of the DE position (opposite Bazzie).
maxlion
Legend

This is the deep threat the Lions missed when Hawkins retired. Huge addition for the offense. Boldewijn has potential, but Lions want to win this year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good signing :thup:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A big signing. I wonder how much more $ did the Lions offer over the TiCats?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gotta like it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:A big signing. I wonder how much more $ did the Lions offer over the TiCats?
Hamilton may not have wanted him back; I seem to recall he had bit of a rocky past with the Ti-Cats. He was a healthy scratch early in 2015 for a few games. He was bit of a mystery cut with the Argos previously. He may have to adjust his attitude to fit in the locker room.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sizzling fast. Has been timed at 4.19 in the 40 at the Minnesota (Gophers?) pro day. Hand timed. But just looking at the video, he is a deluxe burner, with good size. Reportedly timed at 4.30 and 4.32 anrd even 4.27 at other times.

6', 200 lbs.

Wow re the video. Fans need to see it. It is fun to watch.

Put an online stop watch on it. He is lightning. About as unofficial as it can get, but he looks to be under 4.2. Hey, years after the fact of when it happened in 1973, they put Secretariat on the tape to establish that he had a record in the Preakness, as well as the Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes. LOL

This fan is very happy with this signing. He must have been somewhat expensive. Glad to see Wally willing to spend on free agents. This is one of the adaptations I think we have seen this year in the old fox.

One would expect him to work his way into the lineup rather quickly.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:This fan is very happy with this signing. He must have been somewhat expensive.
I'm thinking Wally may have stepped outside his normal modus operandi. Typically he'd want a guy on a 2 year deal (old 1 + 1) so he has him beyond the current season. He might've gotten a bit of a discount for a 1 year deal that would allow Sinkfield to take another NFL crack next year.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David
Team Captain

I wonder if former Tiger-Cat coach Marcel Bellefeuille (now Lions receivers coach) was instrumental in Sinkfield signing here?

I also wonder if Wally arrived at this need during this bye week of self-scouting, or whether this type of receiver has been something he's been looking at for some time? I'd prefer to see him outside as a deep threat but it looks like he'll challenge at slot (where Boldewidjn is currently lined up). Very happy with this deal - just wish it was longer term.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

Great news! I hope the team gets him involved a.s.a.p. Alongside Arseneaux, Burnham, and Gore, our receiving corps just gets that much better. If it were my decision, I'd bust Boldewijn back to the practice squad (with Courtney Taylor now gone, I believe), and insert Sinkfield right away--if three days of practice is enough. I think I'd prefer that to bumping Iannuzzi and tweaking the ratio.

His recorded Pro Day speed of 4.19 in the 40 is truly amazing (and would be a record if it held up), although evidently one Vikings scout has disputed this; still there's no denying that he does have great speed--maybe in the 4.3-4.4 range,, which would, I suspect, make him faster than any corners, defensive halfbacks, or safeties in the CFL. This should instill terror into CFL DBs and enable the Lions to take full advantage of Jennings' great arm, while opening up the intermediate routes for the other guys. Good size too.

CardiacKid makes a good point. Let's hope that there's no attitude problem and that he buys in fully.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/5 ... cf4a6991dc
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Farhan thinks he will start Friday. If the Lions were willing to allow an offensive lineman to shake off the rust in what was the biggest game of the year then getting Sinkfield into the line-up with just 7 games left makes sense. The clock is ticking.

Also be interesting to see how fast they can get Jeremy Harris up to speed. NFL experience and big by DB standards at 6-2. Given the health and depth of our secondarywith three players at different positions (including Stewart) it would be great if he is able to quickly provide an upgrade.
BC 1988
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
DanoT wrote:A big signing. I wonder how much more $ did the Lions offer over the TiCats?
Hamilton may not have wanted him back; I seem to recall he had bit of a rocky past with the Ti-Cats. He was a healthy scratch early in 2015 for a few games. He was bit of a mystery cut with the Argos previously. He may have to adjust his attitude to fit in the locker room.
He was in Austin's doghouse on a few occasions
http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2014/10/ ... 34-33.html
Fumbles and showboating. There was a similar incident while he played for the Argos, but I can't find the game notes. The funny thing is he was cut by the Argos in 2014 at the same time as Jeremiah Johnson.

Despite this, I'm very happy to see him here. He has a lot of incentive to do well. Maybe he will be the Arland Bruce III type of acquisition we need like in 2011.
Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:This is the deep threat the Lions missed when Hawkins retired. Huge addition for the offense. Boldewijn has potential, but Lions want to win this year.
This is a surprising addition and a wise move. Boldewijn has potential but he is still a work in progress. Courtney Taylor was a stop gap move until we could bring someone better in.

I don't see us playing Sinkfield on Friday night but I would guess that he was told that he liklely would be given the opportunity to start in future games this season, once he got to know the offence.

This is the type of receiver we needed for our offence. A player who can stretch the field and help open up things inside and also be deep threat. He's definitely fast....and has been timed at 4.33 as a legitimate time. He also has good hands and will fight for the football and is a good route runner. When you can add a young, proven CFL receiver who had over 1,000 yards in receiving over 15 games last season and who can also add to your return game, you've done very well.

We've also added receiver Douglas McNeil to the practice roster. He is 6'3" and 200 pounds and was one of the final cuts of the Seahawks.

We also needed a defensive back. Gaitor has done a decent job as our boundary halfback. Fenner is competing right now with Kenyan Parker at wide side corner.

But my guess is that our Leos would like to return Brandon Steward to wide side corner. In order to do that we need a really good defensive back to play boundary corner in Yell's spot.

Jeremy Harris has good size (6'2" and 195 lbs.). He was a 7th round draft choice of Jacksonville, played in six games for the Jaguars, and played a game for the Redskins last year. He looks good.

Our Leos have also signed Kelvin Palmer, a 6'4", 290 pound defensive tackle for a look see. Brooks has been quiet lately and this may push him.

My guess is that our Leos will be looking for a defensive end to compliment Bazzie. At least they should be. Craig 'Death' Row is not killing quarterbacks. He only has 3 sacks on the season. Menard has two sacks on the season with his limited reps and quite frankly I think he is better than Roh. Allen and Hudson have one sack each but have not shone.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)