Stampeders vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

After last week's dress rehearsal, it's play for real tomorrow. Wally Buono's second stint as Head Coach. Will we see an exciting brand of football as promised by Buono or more of the conservative, play not to lose instead of playing to win mentality ? The torch has officially been passed from Lulay to Jennings. Looking forward to the game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's all or nothing for the Lions in this one. Wally has made it clear the Lions need to win early and often this year to win back the fans. Being entertaining and competitive isn't enough. I expect to see a strong game from the Lions. My main concern is that Jabar Westerman isn't strong enough to stop the run. I hope Zach Minter plays and lines up inside on first downs. The Lions match up well with the Stamps at most other positions.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Wally has made it clear the Lions need to win early and often this year to win back the fans. Being entertaining and competitive isn't enough.
"Winning" has been the mantra since Day 1 of training camp. Get off to a fast start. Win. Entertain. Win again. Win some more.

That's great, but my concern is that it's become so ingrained in this football club that they're going to be trying too hard. I almost think that's what sank the Argos last night. They got too caught up in the moment and didn't play with discipline. The Leos need to let the game come to them and not lose focus, becoming so desperate to win (at home) that they're trying to do others' assignments as well as their own.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

LU has reported all week Minter will not be dressed. Instead Allen will be rotated at DE. To go toe to toe with the Stamps you better be at full strength with both your lines. Lions are not. Minter and Bryant Turner will hopefully both be in that top six at some point but expect a steady diet of Messam tonight.
JohnHenry
Champion

Here We Go Lions, Here We Go! Bom...Bom :cheer:

Should be a good one tonight! Stopping the Stamps rushing attack is the key. If Messam rushes for over 100 yds, the Lions opportunity to win will be substantially diminished...even if Jennings plays lights out.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Wally has made it clear the Lions need to win early and often this year to win back the fans. Being entertaining and competitive isn't enough.
"Winning" has been the mantra since Day 1 of training camp. Get off to a fast start. Win. Entertain. Win again. Win some more.

That's great, but my concern is that it's become so ingrained in this football club that they're going to be trying too hard. I almost think that's what sank the Argos last night. They got too caught up in the moment and didn't play with discipline. The Leos need to let the game come to them and not lose focus, becoming so desperate to win (at home) that they're trying to do others' assignments as well as their own.

DH :cool:
Good point as per usual David. Realistically I don't expect the Lions to win, however if the game from the Lions perspective is competitive and the score is close I will be satisfied. I worry most about shutting down the run as that will make the Stamps one dimensional, the only real way the Lions can hang with the Lions. Generally a new coach should help a team with experience get out of the gate fast until teams adjust as they see game film. However this match-up doesn't fall into that category as Wally's game plans are likely on DD's wrist band. So this will come down to student vs teacher, with the student having gone off to college under Huff.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Good point as per usual David. Realistically I don't expect the Lions to win, however if the game from the Lions perspective is competitive and the score is close I will be satisfied. I worry most about shutting down the run as that will make the Stamps one dimensional, the only real way the Lions can hang with the Lions. Generally a new coach should help a team with experience get out of the gate fast until teams adjust as they see game film. However this match-up doesn't fall into that category as Wally's game plans are likely on DD's wrist band. So this will come down to student vs teacher, with the student having gone off to college under Huff.
Rammmer
Jonathan Jennings has a quick release and quality receivers in Arsenault, Burnham, and Moore to throw to in the slots. Gore lines up as the short side wide receiver and has experience. But the keys to this game are our offensive and defensive lines.

We are going to need to run the football and protect Jennings, even with his quick release and quick read ability. That comes down to our offensive line. On defense, we need to be able to contain Messam and get pressure on the quarterback. To do that, we need good defensive line play.

I'm confident in our receivers, our linebackers, and our defensive backs. The key to success or not for this whole season will be determined by our offensive and defensive line play more than anywhere else on the field. Its going to be an interesting first game to watch.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:I'm confident in our receivers, our linebackers, and our defensive backs. The key to success or not for this whole season will be determined by our offensive and defensive line play more than anywhere else on the field. Its going to be an interesting first game to watch.
Agreed. I questioned the decision to shuffle everyone on the offensive line this year but after watching this unit in training camp and preseason I have more confidence in the O-line than the D-line at this point. It usually takes four or five games before major changes are made on the D-line but major changes are usually made.
Qman
Champion

Big concern with johnson starting at RT. Will Hughes eat him alive.
I guess they move steward out to LT and bring JO back to RT

Minter not dressing is a concern too. Our D-line was brutal last year with him out of the line up.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm worrying about Mark Washington calling a "safe", play not to loose conservative game with not enough blitzing and too much 3 man D line with everyone else dropping into pass coverage. Against the Bombers last night the Als did a lot of blitzing and had Willy off balance and even in the last few minutes when the Als were protecting a lead they still went with a 4 man rush to at least get some pressure on the QB.
caobax
Rookie

Leone, we were your #! Fans. On a samurai ww! hospital helicopter off the coast. Finding a way to text live midfield may be rough as the tablet is constantly changing aqua-marine, go Leone, hang [it] low. :rockin:
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blitz wrote:I'm confident in our receivers, our linebackers, and our defensive backs. The key to success or not for this whole season will be determined by our offensive and defensive line play more than anywhere else on the field. Its going to be an interesting first game to watch.
Agreed. I questioned the decision to shuffle everyone on the offensive line this year but after watching this unit in training camp and preseason I have more confidence in the O-line than the D-line at this point. It usually takes four or five games before major changes are made on the D-line but major changes are usually made.
I'm eager to have the game start, however I do have concerns with the D-line push. I do not think that we have anyone that the Calgary O-line has to double team and I'm not sure that the concept of "stunt" is in our game plans. But, I'm glad to have the chance to watch and hope for the best.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As expected, Zach Minter is not dressed so the Lions will try to stop Jerome Messam with two undersized defensive tackles and four defensive ends. Team 100 (including Purifoy in number 0) could be busy.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions allowing several crucial sacks and now giving up a partial blocked punt - lucky to be down just 1-0. :hmm: :cr:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Undisciplined penalty