Tedford Eyeing Return to College

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

For those wondering what our 2015 one-and-done head coach might be up to these days:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-h ... -coaching/

Say what one will, but FWIW that was Tedford's recruit that went No. 1 in the NFL draft last night.
CardiacKid
Legend

If he does end up employed as a consultant, I will be glad. The guy obviously has a touch, I guess the CFL or maybe more to the point, the Lions just weren't in his wheelhouse.

Still super curious how things wound going so sideways last year after such a big splash was made about Tedford's arrival.
Tighthead
Legend

When he was at the end at Cal, Bears fans wanted him fired because they were worried about his health. I know that was a few years ago but I think he had a very serious case of burnout.

I'm not really sure what happened in BC, but I think coaching under Wally would be difficult.

He seems like a good guy, a football lifer, and I wish him well.
David
Team Captain

And so closes one of the oddest - and shortest - chapters in Lions history. So much fanfare when he was signed (who could forget the rather awkward bouquet of roses presented to Mrs. Tedford at the locker room presser)?

Someone didn't do their homework. Either Tedford wasn't familiar with the budgets, the players (they're pros, not college kids), and the game itself - all of which seem odd given that he played up here. OR....the Lions didn't do their homework on him, perhaps so enamored that someone "of his coaching caliber" was available and willing to coach here. Perhaps the tough questions were never asked....like, "exactly how much control will I have, Wally?" :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Tedford's biggest contribution to the Lions is likely his recognizing the potential in Jon Jennings when others passed on Jennings.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

His credentials were top notch.

He did have a health issue. Dunno if that kind of limited his strength and determination. As we know, coaching ain't easy at the best of times. A lot of it is energy based, along with all the Xs and Os, skill building, etc.

Between the GM and the HC, it failed. Bad hiring? HC on the rebound from health issues? GM could not let go? GM interference? HC not able to assert his culture on the players or the organization?

Failure all around.

As noted, probably a great guy.

I wish him well.

And now, Wally Redux. For some it seemed he never let go of the reins, neither with Mike Benevides (overseeing from up above the field), nor with Jeff Tedford. So it seems appropriate that Wally is now clearly the man in charge, once again.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:And now, Wally Redux. For some it seemed he never let go of the reins, neither with Mike Benevides (overseeing from up above the field), nor with Jeff Tedford. So it seems appropriate that Wally is now clearly the man in charge, once again.
I think for some there is no way they will believe otherwise. If Wally had been quarantined on planet Mars with no way to communicate back to Earth all season long they'd still firmly believe he was pulling all the strings.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:And so closes one of the oddest - and shortest - chapters in Lions history. So much fanfare when he was signed (who could forget the rather awkward bouquet of roses presented to Mrs. Tedford at the locker room presser)?

Someone didn't do their homework. Either Tedford wasn't familiar with the budgets, the players (they're pros, not college kids), and the game itself - all of which seem odd given that he played up here. OR....the Lions didn't do their homework on him, perhaps so enamored that someone "of his coaching caliber" was available and willing to coach here. Perhaps the tough questions were never asked....like, "exactly how much control will I have, Wally?" :wink:

DH :cool:
I thought Tedford's previous experience in the CFL would position him well to make the transition but I guess not. Maybe it's just a case of another guy trying to make the jump from college ranks to a head coach gig in the pros. Whether it's football, hockey or basketball it seems like the list of coaches who can successfully make the transition from college head coach to pro head coach is short compared to the list who fail badly. Pete Carroll has re-transitioned but he went from NFL HC to NCAA HC back to NFL HC. The gap in between NFL gigs was only 9 years. Tedford had only been an offensive assistant in the CFL prior to joining the college ranks. He had never been a pro HC and the gap between CFL jobs was 23 years. Had he been able to put in a couple years as OC with the Bucs he may have been better prepared for a pro HC job.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:And now, Wally Redux. For some it seemed he never let go of the reins, neither with Mike Benevides (overseeing from up above the field), nor with Jeff Tedford. So it seems appropriate that Wally is now clearly the man in charge, once again.
I think for some there is no way they will believe otherwise. If Wally had been quarantined on planet Mars with no way to communicate back to Earth all season long they'd still firmly believe he was pulling all the strings.
Pulling all the strings? I don't recall anyone suggesting that. Heavy influence? Yes. Putting the oar in the water in areas pretty much all GMs leave to the HC? Yes. Overseeing practice each and every day from on high with Benevides? Yes. Overseeing Tedford practices from the field? Yes. Strong input in terms of philosophy and player decisions? Yes.

As noted in my comments, if a man is GM and HC (examples, at times: Austin, Jones, Hufnagel and Buono), of course everything reflects his preferences. But with a separate GM and HC, too much influence can cause problems. Wally admitted he has had a difficult time letting go. So ... best for Wally to be both GM and HC. No confusion in the ranks then.
"If Wally had been quarantined on planet Mars"
Quarantined on Mars? The tower was not that far. Nor was the rooftop.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

We are all familiar with the fact that Tedford was/is dealing with health problems, if not the true extent of those problems. But they obviously impacted his ability to coach as evidenced by his very short tenure with Tampa Bay. And maybe his decision to head north to the CFL was influenced by his perception that the league was not as pressure packed and would be more "forgiving" to his compromised health.

At the risk of sounding naive, maybe the fact Wally was seen watching practice from the Surrey facility roof was because of mutual agreement between him and Tedford? Perhaps Tedford in realizing his health was still a concern went to Wally asking for "assistance" or "support"? I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility. It may have begun that way only to morph into something less conducive to the success of a football team.

Of course, this is just supposition on my part. I have no access into the inner workings or machinations of the Lions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Coaching at the college level is no walk in the park. There is pressure there too.
GMJohnson
prospect

From what I saw Tedford's health was not an issue. He preached a high temp offence in leading up to the season but it did not materialize during the season. Also heard rumours of player coach issues, Tedford may have had problems relating to players as a head coach at the professional level.