Lions Mascot Stray Cat - Help

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

whatadisgrace
prospect

Does anyone know where I can find pictures of Lions former Mascot Stray Cat? Looking for specific picture him of riding a bike.

Why did the Lions get rid of him?
whatadisgrace
prospect

I contacted the Lions about Stray Cat and the person I heard back from didn't know about him, thought he was older version of Leo. To his knowledge he assumed Leo had always been the mascot, which I pointed out that's not the case.

Further to my OP above, i'm looking for a certain picture of Stray Cat riding bike/ATV at Lions home game, which I saw on-line some time ago and can't seem to find now.

Any help would be much appreciated.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Every day that passes is one you can't get back
whatadisgrace
prospect

Yup. That's him.

I can't find any info on him and how long he was mascot with Lions, or why they got rid of him :-?

Strange how there's no mention of him on Lions website or anywhere for that matter.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm not sure where I read it, but I heard that kids were frightened by Stray Cat so the Lions reverted to the more lovable Leo the Lion.
zeppo
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:I'm not sure where I read it, but I heard that kids were frightened by Stray Cat so the Lions reverted to the more lovable Leo the Lion.

Speaking of Leo....I'll never forget one evening in '90's when the guy inside the costume attempted a front flip only to have
the head fly off and roll across the turf. I'd wager that plenty of kids (and a few adults) were traumatized by that sight. :shock:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Or cheered.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

whatadisgrace wrote:
Yup. That's him.

I can't find any info on him and how long he was mascot with Lions, or why they got rid of him :-?

Strange how there's no mention of him on Lions website or anywhere for that matter.
He probably just wandered away.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

By looks of the jersey that would be early 90s; 92-93-94. Somewhere in that range.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

[quote="Sir Purrcival] He probably just wandered away.[/quote]

Lol. I think I saw him panhandling on Granville when I was there last week.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I'm not sure where I read it, but I heard that kids were frightened by Stray Cat so the Lions reverted to the more lovable Leo the Lion.
The way I recall it, there was a halftime show that served to introduce him as The Beast — I think he was wheeled out onto the field in a curtained cage as the PA announcer spoke in grandiose tones to build up suspense for the lifting of the curtain and the big reveal — and that he was later rebranded as the milder Stray Cat in response to complaints of scared kids. He was eventually (and quietly) removed from the gameday experience. I don't think he was ever intended as a replacement for Leo but to complement him.
Hambone wrote:
By looks of the jersey that would be early 90s; 92-93-94. Somewhere in that range.
I think Stray Cat's time was later than that; that style of home black jersey persisted into the 2002-2008 Ackles II era before he brought back the orange.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
whatadisgrace
prospect

The link posted above to picture of Stray Cat says 2002.
zeppo
Starter

sj-roc wrote: The way I recall it, there was a halftime show that served to introduce him as The Beast — I think he was wheeled out onto the field in a curtained cage as the PA announcer spoke in grandiose tones to build up suspense for the lifting of the curtain and the big reveal — and that he was later rebranded as the milder Stray Cat in response to complaints of scared kids. He was eventually (and quietly) removed from the gameday experience. I don't think he was ever intended as a replacement for Leo but to complement him.

Ha! "The Beast" I'd forgotten about that. What a let down when he was revealed.