Lions Lose 2 Players

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

This according to Lowell Ullrich:

CB Steven Clarke has signed futures contract with Tennessee, currently without a GM. DB Josh Johnson likely next to sign in NFL. Dean Valli retires.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Steven Clarke is a bit of old news. He had been released a week or so ago to pursue NFL opportunities which usually means signing somewhere is imminent. No surprise at all with Valli. Would've been shocked to see him back. Mildly surprised Johnson is drawing NFL interest. That he hadn't been extended yet I thought might be a sign BC was looking to do something in his spot.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Calgary just lost Eric Rogers who signed best NFL deal for CFL player since Cam Wake:

The #49ers are signing CFL star Eric Rogers to a 2-year deal with a $125K signing bonus, $75K in bonuses & $100K base salary guarantee.
David
Team Captain

Yes, the Clarke signing happened over a week ago. I'd heard about Valli retiring some time ago. That's more of a depth loss, as he wasn't likely to start this year (I believe he's been having back issues....could be a reason why he's hanging 'em up).

I don't think we have it as bad as some other clubs though. The Esks have lost 2 key starters to the NFL: Dexter McCoil and Willie Jefferson. And today, the uber talented Eric Rogers signed with the 49ers. That's a huge blow to the Stamps, indeed the league. A 2-year deal with a $125K signing bonus, $75K in bonuses & $100K base salary guarantee, according to NFL insider Ian Rapoport (so Chip Kelly must be semi-serious about keeping him around).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Clarke, Valli and Johnson have all been mentioned here. Valli has been telling people for months that he's retired but the Lions haven't announced it. Like Hambone, I'm mildly surprised that Johnson is drawing NFL interest but I wish him well.
aklawitter
All Star

Johnson had limited NFL interest before signing with the Lions. Only 25 years old. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at least make it past first cuts this spring.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:This according to Lowell Ullrich:

CB Steven Clarke has signed futures contract with Tennessee, currently without a GM. DB Josh Johnson likely next to sign in NFL. Dean Valli retires.
Lions Lose 2 Players

I see what you did there. Well played, sir. Well played.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

It may be old news, but because the Lions news is barely mentioned, I did not know. I just saw Lowell's tweet yesterday. Yes, I vaguely remember Clarke being mentioned, but first I heard he signed with Tennessee yesterday. Valli has been rumoured to retire.

The Johnson news is new to me. Maybe I am a week late, but other than Lowell, who else reported it? No one. The Lions get almost zero coverage, unless it is big news. It is Canucks, Canucks, Canucks, 95% of the time on 1040 and in papers and NFL playoffs now. Even a minor Canucks move is given major coverage. Lions marketing is poor. They need to win back the fans they lost, and prize giveaways is not going to do it. Though soon we should hear who new ST coach is. No rumours at all.
maxlion
Legend

Losing Johnson and Clarke is a pretty big blow given that these were two young guys who were just starting to come into their own after being pretty raw rookies when they were brought in. Frustrating to spend a couple of years developing young players only to see them gone just as they are starting to become decent players. The rebuild continues.
CardiacKid
Legend

Wonder if Lokombo will be considered as being mobile enough to replace Johnson should he head south?
green road kill
Rookie

No the rebuild does't go on for ever,we still have Phillips, Yell, LEE, and Frazer
(as good as any in the league ).All teams lose some players in the off season,some more than others.

There are a ton of Dbs on the free agent list right now , we can sign one of those,
resign Parks, promote one of the practice roster, or bring a couple to camp.

Alack of print coverage in the media is not just a Lion thing. Most CFL teams arn't getting a lot of ink right now
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have officially announced Dean Valli's retirement. Cam Morrah has also retired:
BC Lions Football Club GM and head coach Wally Buono today announced that national offensive lineman Dean Valli has elected to retire.

“Dean gave us everything he had for 10 years and I’m grateful for his contribution to our club both on the field and in the community,” said Buono. “I know he steps away from the game with a very bright future ahead of him and we wish Dean the very best as he moves into the next phase of his life.”

Valli, a graduate of Simon Fraser University, was selected by the Lions in the first round (sixth overall) in the 2006 CFL Draft and appeared in 10 regular season games for the Lions last season and 155 during his 10 seasons with the club. He earned Grey Cup rings in 2006 and 2011.

Beyond his accomplishments on the field, Dean was a tireless contributor to the club’s many community programs, dedicating countless hours to a multitude of worthwhile causes such as Be More Than a Bystander and FortisBC Energy Champions and made dozens of visits to amateur football practices across the Lower Mainland.

“It was an incredible honour to have been able to play my entire career for my hometown team,” said Valli. “The memories that I take away from this decade of professional football will be with me always and I’m excited about what the future holds for me both professionally and personally.”

International receiver Cam Morrah, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in 2015 has informed the club of his intention to retire as well.
Link
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Don't think Morrah was in their plans anyways. He is a Tight end, which is not used in CFL anymore. As for Valli no surprise. Wish both well in the future.
aklawitter
All Star

... and the H-back is officially dead

not surprised about Valli, although losing NI depth hurts a bit
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

At least we don't have to worry about his catching the football on a screen play, assuming of course Khari Jones calls a screen. :beer: