CFL coaching carousel

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Bit of a surprise going for OC than head coach, but if Winnipeg has another bad year, O'Shea is gone and LaPolice may get the job.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Benevides offered the OC to Cortez and LaPolice. As we know. both turned him down, and we settled for Khari Jones, who had very, very little experience as OC.

We didn't make it work with Tedford and Cortez. All their vast experience was wasted. Then they shockingly cut and ran after one year.

Are the pickings going to get slim real soon this year? We certainly don't seem to be the team of choice right now. It is kind of mind boggling for us to be where we are. Some of us on this site have been raising questions for a while now. How bad can next year get?

Wally will fill the vacancies. How competitive can we expect to be? Dunno ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:Bit of a surprise going for OC than head coach, but if Winnipeg has another bad year, O'Shea is gone and LaPolice may get the job.
Maybe not so surprising, 3 seasons have gone by the wayside since Lapo last coached. If he truly wants that HC job then he needs to start rebuilding his resume by getting back into the coaching game in some capacity. Apparently he lives in Winnipeg already and commutes to his TSN gig. So why not the Bombers instead of uprooting his family?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

My bet is Jarious Jackson will be the new OC for the Lions. He will not be offered the position by Chris Jones in Sask, maybe OB coach, but not a promotion. They will go with a more experienced guy. So it is too good an opportunity to pass up for Jarious. BC cannot go back in time and go with Khari or Chaps. Both were fired, so doesn't make sense and I don't think Buono is that stupid. They will not sell to the fans. Jarious not that exciting either, but at least it is fresh blood in there and not a retread, so fans will give him a chance.
maxlion
Legend

Jackson is joining Jones in Sask. Who's left? Chapdelaine isn't a bad OC but we've already been there and done that. Talk Cortez out of retirement? I don't favour going with Khari again. Or go off the board??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:My bet is Jarious Jackson will be the new OC for the Lions. He will not be offered the position by Chris Jones in Sask, maybe OB coach, but not a promotion. They will go with a more experienced guy. So it is too good an opportunity to pass up for Jarious. BC cannot go back in time and go with Khari or Chaps. Both were fired, so doesn't make sense and I don't think Buono is that stupid. They will not sell to the fans. Jarious not that exciting either, but at least it is fresh blood in there and not a retread, so fans will give him a chance.
You're forgetting Geroy Simon is with the Lions.
David
Team Captain

Geroy is being groomed for the GM job. No chance he's going to be our OC.

It's like the music suddenly stops, there's a mad dash to sit down, and we're left without an enpty chair once again. It's the story of this organization since Bobby passed. One blunder, misstep, and "thanks but no thanks" after the other. Hell, we even managed to *frig* up "Guaranteed Win" night in a home game in which we were favoured!

Honestly, I can see Khari and Travis taking ownership of it in a joint role.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

chap-ball is looking good right now ... what f-ing disaster
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Maxlion, where did you hear Jackson is joining Jones in Sask. I didn't hear about it. Was this just reported or do you just think it. Unless he is the OC, why would he be just the QB coach and pass up being the OC.

Don't like the idea of Jones & Lulay doing it and Lulay is going to be our backup QB next year not a coach and he is not ready to be OC. Like Anthony C, he needs to be groomed first. As for Jones he was terrible 2 years ago and was demoted last year. Also I think Lowell reported that he likely would be leaving or let go for his contract is expiring.

What about Jeff Garcia? Maybe he may be interested and he is a bright mind. He wanted to be head coach, but now maybe he will settle for less. I like that idea, if Jarious is going to Sask.

And yes I was talking about OC, not the organization so that is why I didn't mention Geroy.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Tweeted tonight by Farhan :
Jarious Jackson has agreed to join Chris Jones' staff w/ #Riders as passing game coordinator & QB coach. Same title he had in Edm. 2 yr deal
Jackson was offered the #Stamps OC job and had discussions with #BCLions & #Bombers about their OC job. #CFL
So BC goes from an overload of offensive coaching experience with Tedford and Cortez to basically nothing then lose out on what turned out to be a sweepstakes for Jarious Jackson. Sad state of the Lions situation and the league coaching ranks as a whole. Who the hell is left?

And this hammers home the point WC Joe, Blitz and Mexican Lion Fan bring up: Just how far the Lions have fallen in the pecking order of landing anyone.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I just found it online. Too bad. He rejects OC both in BC and Calgary. Who will Buono hire now? Seems it will be a boring hire unless Buono goes off the board and hires someone we don't expect, If it is Khari or Chaps again, it will be long season. They need to bring in someone new and not try someone who failed already and hope the results will be different.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Stubler officially named as Argos Defensive Coordinator

http://www.cfl.ca/2015/12/06/creehan-ou ... s-defence/
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, there were some offensive players in the coaching ranks. Matt Dominguez was one I can think of. Jermaine Copeland in riderland, Travis Moore maybe. I suppose you could pry Dinwiddie out of Montreal.

I don't know Hammy, my Matt Dunnigan idea is starting to look less and less crazy.

So I am wondering who Calgary has penciled in to replace Dickenson?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Tweeted tonight by Farhan :
Jarious Jackson has agreed to join Chris Jones' staff w/ #Riders as passing game coordinator & QB coach. Same title he had in Edm. 2 yr deal
Jackson was offered the #Stamps OC job and had discussions with #BCLions & #Bombers about their OC job. #CFL
So BC goes from an overload of offensive coaching experience with Tedford and Cortez to basically nothing then lose out on what turned out to be a sweepstakes for Jarious Jackson. Sad state of the Lions situation and the league coaching ranks as a whole. Who the hell is left?

And this hammers home the point WC Joe, Blitz and Mexican Lion Fan bring up: Just how far the Lions have fallen in the pecking order of landing anyone.
A sweepstakes for Jarious Jackson? Seems like.

Offered OC by Dickenson?

Did Wally make an offer?

JJ leaving Edmonton, where all he did was contribute to a Grey Cup.

JJ gonig to Regina with Jones. Not even for OC. Speaks highly of Jones, I would say. And of Jackson, making a careful, wise career move.

As David suggested, we might have to go with Khari, again, with Lulay in the mix. If Wally lets Lulay slip away from the organization ... :bang:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.