Biggie wins MODP

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

Bighill wins most outstanding defensive player.
Two in a row with Soli in 2014.

Is this a tribute to how good these guys are
-or-
how bad our Dline has been last two years
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

7th Lion in their history to win this award.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Way to go, Adam Bighill. :rockin: :thup:

Unfortunately, football is a team game and having three western all-stars defensive players on a team does not make automatically make a great defensive team overall - and that's well exemplified by the 2015 BC Lions defensive team.

Consolations to Jovan Olafioye for settling as the runner-up for Most Outstanding Lineman.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
CardiacKid
Legend

With the Lion's having the 2 MODPs now for two years in a row....it makes me wonder if that will eventually reflect upon Johny Holland's coaching? Namely will he get consideration for a promotion within the Lions or jump ship?

I know SolE and Biggie were premier players prior to Holland's arrival so their wins can't be entirely placed at Holland's doorstep. but he must be doing something right to help elevate their game to the next level?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good for Biggie :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Big Time
Champion

I love everything Biggie does both on and off the field. He never quits and his motor is always running.

With that being said, I have to say that it used to be the case that the MODP was a dominant force whenever he was on the field. I remember the days of Joe Montford, Cam Wake, and even last year with SolE where you knew there was a beast lurking out there on every play. For whatever reason, I didn't find Biggie's season all that noticeable. Maybe it just seems odd that the MODP is on a team that went 7-11. It just seems as though Biggie's season didn't really stand out the way other MODP season's stood out.

Maybe it's just the sour taste from the season in my mouth. I certainly don't mean to take anything away from this accomplishment. Biggie has been amazing since he came to this team and I hope that he'll be back on the field again next with Team 100 and we can see a full season with Sol E and the Biggie show again.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Speaking of trophies again, I'm sure Henry Burris will be looking forward to adding another team trophy and another one for keeps to his collection that he won yesterday that have different designs:

I'm sure he's a lot happier now than he was when he last won MOP in 2010 as he lost the WDF as a Stampeder, even though he looks happy this picture:

And maybe I missed something, but I was surprised that Rick Campbell was also awarded 2015 CFL Coach of the Year along with the other individual awards as previously, the Annis Stukus Trophy was awarded separately as the three finalists were announced early in the following year and the award was announced and presented in early February of the following year.
Maybe this was done to prevent any biases on automatically giving the award to the Grey Cup winning coach which is what occurs most of the time.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Big Time
Champion

I can't be the only one that thinks the trophies look astonishingly lame. They look like participation plaques.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:I can't be the only one that thinks the trophies look astonishingly lame. They look like participation plaques.
I guess you like the previous individual generic trophy better - the statue of one football player tackling the ball carrier?

Overall, do you have a favourite individual CFL trophy?

Do you like the old Schenley Most Outstanding Player trophy?

I suppose you like the individual awards in the NHL much better as each trophy has a different design:
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:I can't be the only one that thinks the trophies look astonishingly lame. They look like participation plaques.
I concur. They look like plastic.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

No comment on the trophies but (and I've said this before on here) I would prefer to see the league go to the MLB model of award disbursement — it's probably the one thing they execute best in their PR strategy. Wait until the postseason is over, then roll out the name of each winner one day at a time, starting with rookie of the year, culminating in the MOP announcement on the final day.

This would create extra media run rather than announcing all the winners at one event during Grey Cup Week when the media already has plenty of stuff to cover anyway. The awards night event (which apparently isn't even televised anymore) seems like an inefficient deployment of assets to me.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Big Time
Champion

I definitely prefer the old trophies. The new plaques don't honour the history of everyone who previously won it. The new ones actually look cheap. I understand it's about what they represent but all these things add up when it comes to the overall presentation of the CFL. Couple these trophies with the lame new logo and the apparently poor job the new commissioner did in his state of the Union and the league's credibility continued to suffer.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I would prefer to see the league go to the MLB model of award disbursement — it's probably the one thing they execute best in their PR strategy. Wait until the postseason is over, then roll out the name of each winner one day at a time, starting with rookie of the year, culminating in the MOP announcement on the final day.

This would create extra media run rather than announcing all the winners at one event during Grey Cup Week when the media already has plenty of stuff to cover anyway. The awards night event (which apparently isn't even televised anymore) seems like an inefficient deployment of assets to me.
Personally, I like an official awards ceremony as it is in the CFL and NHL. Because in the NHL playoffs the schedule is unknown as we don't know which teams will reach the finals, etc it makes sense that the ceremony is done after the final game. But I think it's good to hold the awards ceremony on before the big game, as the Grey Cup game should be the final event for the season.

---------------
Speaking of trophies, I have no reason to think that the GC MVP and MVC trophies will be any different this year.

I've been trying to get a picture of the 2006 Grey Cup MVP trophy won by Dave Dickenson because I really appreciate the originality, even though understandably it was unpopular because it looked kind of scary. That trophy appeared like a round bowl with two small hands emerging out of the bowl holding a football. Again, good originality but seeing two little hands emerging out of something looked kind of creepy and is something that you see in a horror movie.

And it's also been a long time that Grey Cup MVP is awarded a truck - maybe Doug Flutie ruined the tradition after winning the 1997 Grey Cup MVP by not accepting it and giving it to teammate Paul Masotti on live television. Chrysler Canada was the sponsor at the time and may have been very offended by that act.

-------------
How about championship rings now? This is the 2014 Calgary Stampeders Grey Grey ring and I'd say for the first time, a Chinese character appears and the word for horse is etched on the ring:

And even though the Seahawks had to settle for the runner-up for the Super Bowl last season they still got a very generous NFC championship ring with numerous diamonds.
祝你龍年行大運。
pennw
Legend

Hey Robbie, nice of you to post all these pictures of various winners , but aren't you forgetting one ? You know the guy the thread is about , Biggie himself Holding his own trophy ?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:Hey Robbie, nice of you to post all these pictures of various winners , but aren't you forgetting one ? You know the guy the thread is about , Biggie himself Holding his own trophy ?
Well, the pictures that were available when this thread came out didn't fit the dimensions for this board. But it looks like this picture will work:
He looks handsome and slick in his tuxedo and bowtie and large watch. I guess he wants to look good for his first appearance in his awards night. That's a lot better than Paul McCallum when he won his individual awards as the even though he was the oldest player in the league he was so informal in that he wouldn't wear a tie of any kind. It looks like Henry Burris is following suit.
祝你龍年行大運。